Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Expanded vanilla races mod- 2 Races now!  (Read 5423 times)

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded vanilla races mod- 2 Races now!
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 05:34:47 pm »

For the Native American race thing, just give them wood spears and bows, since that's basically what they fought with.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 01:28:44 am »

stone tomohawks too:)

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

As far as the game engine goes currently, the AI can only make weapons from wood or metal; not stone, sadly.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 04:18:07 pm »

custom reaction, but the issue is that they won't be stockpiled right. Unless made from obsidian (not sure if just SHARP rocks in general, or through the vanilla reaction at the craftshop.)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:04 pm »

If you create a new weapon with the [CAN_STONE] tag, you'll be able to create them from obsidian or any sharpenable rock using the vanilla reactions.  To force them to be stone only, you could try removing the metal-related PERMITTED_JOBs, that should make them unable to produce metal weapons in-game.  However you might still be able to buy them from caravans, since the availability of both stone and metal in trade are controlled by the [STONE_PREF] entity tag, despite all logic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »

I decided to add a variant of eagle men to the "aztec" civ- And feathered serpent men, too.
Why not just add cavy-folk or alpaca-folk?...Actually, those would make pretty good farmers, and the alpaca-folk might make decent warriors if they were biggewr and stronger than the other Mayinatec animalfolk.

Their noble system will also be quite interesting; One group of animalpeople would be the de-facto leader (Thinking about the eagles, since the chief god of the aztecs was a humanoid with mockinbird features) but the others would have huge influence, too.
Maybe have a king-like leader from each race?

There will also be several, different, warrior societies. I wonder.. Will the [EXECUTION_SKILL] tag without the responsibility to perform executions force a noble to wear a certain type of weapon, or would it cause some oddness or crash? If it works each society could prefer a certain kind of weapon for increased flavor.
Try it out! I think they'll either carry the weapons, do nothing, or execute people despite not being told to as one of their duties, but who knows? (I doubt a crash; DF seems pretty resistant to most mod-based crashes from inconsistent tokens.)

If you create a new weapon with the [CAN_STONE] tag, you'll be able to create them from obsidian or any sharpenable rock using the vanilla reactions.  To force them to be stone only, you could try removing the metal-related PERMITTED_JOBs, that should make them unable to produce metal weapons in-game.  However you might still be able to buy them from caravans, since the availability of both stone and metal in trade are controlled by the [STONE_PREF] entity tag, despite all logic.
I don't think rock (i.e. obsidian) weapons are ever made outside of fortress mode. Yet...

Remove [PERMITTED_JOB:FURNACE_OPERATOR], then grant them access to a reaction that makes the metal types that you want them to use. That should do it.
This. FD does it, you can, too!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 07:08:10 pm »

I see that you've updated this for 0.34.11...

No offense, but I'm not interested in either the Kani crab men or the Ganeshi elephant men. Aside from how they just don't appeal to me personally, there are already a number of Japanese-flavor civs in other mods. And these seem way too powerful to me. (And I thought the castes of dwarves in the old Genesis mod were a bit excessive.)

That said, I do like notion of adding civs with real-world cultural influences - including India, Native American, Egyptian, and Aztec.

On races you are currently considering:

Quote from: Lordinquisitor
* Snake/Vulture/Hyena/jackal-men based on ancient egypt. Many of them would be able to animate the Dead.
On the one hand, I'd love to see an Egyptian-themed civ. But I personally don't care much for vultures or snakemen. Also personally, the idea that they can summon the dead (i.e.; necromancers) is a big turn off as a playable civ.
Centaurs, Satyrs and other creatures based on ancient greece. Their huge strength would be their varied abilities.
Personally, I'm just not interested in either Centaurs or Satyrs. And the Greek and Roman cultures will be somewhat similar.

What I'd like to see next:

* Tiger men based on ancient india...
Sounds great! I've been looking for feline races and might play that.
Cheetha men/Dark dwarfs/gnomes based on ancient persia. Some of them would be immortals, creatures that have exchanged most of their organic body with metal and became immortal through those measures and dark sorcery.
The "dark sorcery" smacks of necromancy. (Again, personally, a turn off as a playable race.) Nor do I care for the idea of them becoming the fantasy equivalent of cybermen or cyborgs.

However, as I said, I've been looking for a feline civ. And I'm looking forward to your interpretations of Gnomes and/or Dark Dwarves.
Aven men based on ancient rome Would offer a decent fight because of their ability to fly and their advanced military.
Sounds interesting. I could see some possibilities with a playable civ with flight.

By the way:

Q: Will these new races be unbalancing towards dwarves or other vanilla civs?
Example: If all your custom races can produce steel and other products as good as dwarves (which is their primary strength), why wouldn't dwarves (or even humans and elves) become extinct?

I noticed you gave your Kani a lot of different strengths (including magic), based on their caste. Seems a bit unbalancing to me. Perhaps you could have a couple races that specialize in magic, another race that is fearless, etc, rather than giving too much strengths to just one race?

Q: Are all your races going to have unique equipment (weapons/armor/tools)? Will they have unique workshops and products?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »

Bearmen should be slavic.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3]