Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Expanded vanilla races mod- 2 Races now!  (Read 5421 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Expanded vanilla races mod- 2 Races now!
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:58:33 pm »

This is the first of my "Expanded vanilla races" mod.

I, for one, like new civilizations- But i also like if mods don`t introduce races that aren`t present in the vanilla game.

This series of mods will try to add new civilizations based on creatures that are already present in the  game- Various animal people, for example.

In order to keep them realistic i`ll base them more or less on real world civilizations and cultures. I will also try to add unique abilities and attributes to each race in order to justify their presence in the game.

This first release includes the Kani; A race of crab men who are kinda based on the medieval japanese people. Expect Samurai, shinobi and sohei.

Attention:

I have given the Kani and the Ganeshi the "Babysnatcher" trait in order to make them hostile. If you want to trade with them, or if you want to play as one in the adventurer mode, you might want to remove it. In order to do that simply open the entity_crab/entity_ganeshi file, located in your raw/object folders, and delete the [BABYSNATCHER] tag.

Information about the Kani

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Castes:

Information about the Ganeshi

Castes:

To-do

-Make the chitin of the Kani thicker.
-Balance their weapons. Currently some of them are simply slightly stronger than other weapons instead of having accurate stats.
-Re-balance their magic.
-?Make them playable in fortress mode?
-?Japanese language mod?

I would appreciate feedback and testing results! ;)

Download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6603
Installation: Put all files into your raw/objects folder and gen a new world. Sometimes the Kani won`t appear, in that case gen a new world.

Special thanks to the contributors of the spellbook thread; I got inspired and used parts of some of the spells suggested for this mod.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:12:43 am by Lordinquisitor »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Expanded vanilla races mod- Crab people!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:06:26 pm »

Nice.  Instead of getting rid of the over-abundant animal people, why not turn them into something interesting?

I nominate Jaguar Men for the Aztecs, Lion Men for Ancient Babylonia, Bear Men for Ancient Persia, and Bull Men, er, minotaurs, for Minoan Greece.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:32:56 pm »

I would think that Purrsians (hah!) could be Lepordfolk, and Buffalofolk for the Native Americans. The varing slavic kingdoms could be reprisented by Bearfolks, while China could be.....Pandamen? Or Yakfolk, but that's just a bigger minotaur.

The Indian's could be Elephantfolk, for a chalange of sorts. :P
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:03:12 pm »

Seal- or Polarbear- or Walrus- or Whale-men a la Inuit or Dorset.
Eagle- and/or Leopard-men a la Aztec.
(Feathered?) Snake-men a la Mayan.
Alpaca- or Cavy-men a la Incan. (Those last three can be mixed or chosen or something.)
Panda-men a la China.
If you don't add Aztec eaglemen, they could be used as something like modern Americans.
If you want to be silly, cheese-eating Primate-men a la French.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 03:16:43 am »

Ithink it is goin in the direction of russians being Bearman:) It always goes there:)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:06:31 am »

Ithink it is goin in the direction of russians being Bearman:) It always goes there:)
yeah but there're no bearmen. Isn't not adding new creatures kind of point? I propose Tigermen for Chinese.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:07 am »

Then Polarbears for Russians - they will live in taiga:) Though in reality most of them (us) leave in normal regions like like medicore forests and steppes (even subtropic in southern regions) ;)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:07:18 am »

Then Polarbears for Russians - they will live in taiga:) Though in reality most of them (us) leave in normal regions like like medicore forests and steppes (even subtropic in southern regions) ;)
sorry to say but there're no polar bearmen either :(
Actually it's very cold here in moscow, I guess I should give more vodka to my pet bear so that it's warmer to sleep with her!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:52 am »

There would have been bear men if Toady hadn't added bears before starting his 'make every creature have a humanoid counterpart' philosophy.
It's not such a big deal to add them.  I mean these new crab-people aren't the same as the originals anyway.

psychomantits

• Bay Watcher
  • a menacing lawn gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:18:19 am »

ESKIMO WALRUS MEN

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:43:32 am »

Seal- or Polarbear- or Walrus- or Whale-men a la Inuit or Dorset.
Beat you to it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:22:33 am »

Apocalypse Meow
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:27:54 am »

Some very nice ideas, here!

Considering elephant men- I have already created a whole working race of them, even though they have no cultural flavor at the moment. The problem with them is.. They basically trample everything in their path down. Nice for a challenge (Dwarves hit by their mauls are thrown several tiles away. :D) , ofc, but make them hostile and they`ll wipe out most other civilizations- Like they do with megabeasts already.

Ofc, having said that, i guess that people would be interested to see them. So i`ll flavor them etc. and will release them.

I also like the idea of walrus men, even though they aren`t included in vanilla dwarf fortress. The idea of basing them on the inuit appeals to me. Would be quite durable and strong, but would lack advanced equipment and armor. (But would get spear throwers, neat i think.) and could field huge numbers.

Jaguar men for the aztecs are an obvious, but good, choice. The problem is that they would be an extremely low tech civ and i don`t know whether one can force their swords to be made from obsidian. Still, one could make them into a civ which relies heavily on ambushes. One could also consider to have them consist of two races- The eagle and the jaguar men, which would make them quite versatile and would make them more dangerous.

Bears for slavic people is a nice idea, but i guess somewhat low on my priority list. (And you`d have to find a nice point of history to base them on. Ancient? Medieval? A bit later? (Bear cossacks with muskets? Won`t happen but the thought is epic.. :D )

/On the Kani, yeah i changed the crab men slightly. Let`s call it "fleshing them out". I just couldn`t add advanced weapons and culture to them while they had no real hand(s). ^^
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:29:40 am by Lordinquisitor »

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:49:13 am »

sorry to say but there're no polar bearmen either :(
Actually it's very cold here in moscow, I guess I should give more vodka to my pet bear so that it's warmer to sleep with her!

hm..... i am living in Moscow and it is really warm here now:) Well January is cold... but what d'ya expect from harsh continental climate?:) And i am glad it is not as hot as 2 years ago now, then it got to 41 celcium on some days.... brrr that was really shitty:(

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded vanilla races mod- 2 Races now!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 10:19:42 am »

Phew, added the Ganeshi- Elephant men with some indian influences.

Add them with care. Like the Kani they have the [BABYSNATCHER] tag (Just to make them hostile..). The ganeshi usually don`t wipe civilizations out, but are a huge threat. They also decimate the megabeasts well enough.

Funny enough: Most necromancers seem to be Ganeshi. That makes necromancers even funnier.  :P

Now i`ll either create some walrus men or will make an aztec like civilization. Or not. Who knows?
Pages: [1] 2 3