Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Expanded vanilla races mod- 2 Races now!  (Read 5424 times)

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded vanilla races mod- Crab people!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »

Jaguar men for the Aztecs are an obvious, but good, choice. The problem is that they would be an extremely low tech civ and i don`t know whether one can force their swords to be made from obsidian. Still, one could make them into a civ which relies heavily on ambushes. One could also consider to have them consist of two races- The eagle and the jaguar men, which would make them quite versatile and would make them more dangerous.

I look forward to an Aztec counterpart particularly. There's some great opportunity here, particularly in terms of their ethics settings, seeing as how far ahead of their time they were when compared to the majority of Europe. Mandatory universal education, commoner land ownership rights, irrigation networks using canal systems, currency systems, the political landscapes and various hegemonies, and after all that, the persistence of human sacrifice.

In terms of in-game technology levels, I would highly recommend incorporating the Macuahuitl, Tepoztopilli, and Atlatl so as not to limit them to the relatively low power of unmodified obsidian weaponry, while keeping the dwarf craft-able obsidian tools from becoming over powered.

It will certainly be nice to have someone other than Elves populating jungle regions.  :)

Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded vanilla races mod- 2 Races now!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 10:07:09 pm »

Hm, maybe give them a unique "obsidian-bladed wood" metal to use, identical to obsidian except perhaps weight? Only problem is, dwarves could melt it down and make obsidian-bladed battleaxes, but we could pretend they're taking the obsidian and making it more axe-shaped.
Also, making jaguar-men bigger and stronger would help. Don't feel too constrained by the RL animals' sizes; as long as elephantmen are bigger than jaguarmen and jaguarmen are bigger than crabmen, you're A-OK in my book.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »

Hm, maybe give them a unique "obsidian-bladed wood" metal to use, identical to obsidian except perhaps weight? Only problem is, dwarves could melt it down and make obsidian-bladed battleaxes, but we could pretend they're taking the obsidian and making it more axe-shaped.
Also, making jaguar-men bigger and stronger would help. Don't feel too constrained by the RL animals' sizes; as long as elephantmen are bigger than jaguarmen and jaguarmen are bigger than crabmen, you're A-OK in my book.
You could make the obsidian material a wood type? so it gets thrown in with other wooden weapons. Altho it would be made as wooden armor too :/

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 10:34:50 pm »

Also, it would be mixed in with all other wood types.You'd have oaken Tepoztopillis, does anyone want that?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 10:41:55 pm »

Also, it would be mixed in with all other wood types.You'd have oaken Tepoztopillis, does anyone want that?
Not if it isn't a natural tree. and just a WOOD material floating around in the ether.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:53 pm »

Um, I meant in the civ's armory. Unless there's some way to get them to only use that wood, in which case jaguarmen beds and stuff would all have obsidian edges. Less issues if it's a special metal.
Sig

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 07:10:24 am »

I`m currently playing around with metals so i`m gonna give em some kind of Obsidian metal. I assume that ,if i want them to use it, i will have to create a custom reaction which only they can perform, right?

Still wondering whether i should group the eagle and jaguarmen together. Leaning towards no at the moment.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 10:17:51 am »

You've got the idea right.
As to lumping the two races together: Either way, although there's several other options for what eaglemen could be.
Sig

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:51 am »

Eagleman? Roman Empire. Their symbol was the eagle, would make perfect sense.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 11:11:06 am »

Already thought of it, had already prepared the basic creature and entity and even found a latin language file but then stopped because trying to make a semi-realistic noble-position system for the roman republic isn`t as easy as it seems. :P Will finish them somenwhen, though.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 02:33:31 pm »

Just make dwarfen Nobles: Useless, decadent, lazy, corrupt.... Would be really near on the reality :D

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 08:31:40 pm »

Eagleman? Roman Empire. Their symbol was the eagle, would make perfect sense.

But Rome was founded by a pair who was literaly raised by a wolf. Eaglemen could be part of that joint aztec civ.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 08:27:40 am »

I decided to add a variant of eagle men to the "aztec" civ- And feathered serpent men, too.

The reason for that is that what we call the aztec empire actually consisted of three mighty city states- I thought it might be neat to introduce a race that`s kinda like a coalition of races.

This will also strengthen the civ, which would otherwise quite suffer from their lack of armor. (Just wooden shields and padded armor- Which will be made from leather for simplicities sake.)

The Jaguarmen will be strong, stealthy and quick. The eaglemen will be even faster and can fly and the serpent men would be quite slow but would be able to poison their enemies.

Their noble system will also be quite interesting; One group of animalpeople would be the de-facto leader (Thinking about the eagles, since the chief god of the aztecs was a humanoid with mockinbird features) but the others would have huge influence, too.

There will also be several, different, warrior societies. I wonder.. Will the [EXECUTION_SKILL] tag without the responsibility to perform executions force a noble to wear a certain type of weapon, or would it cause some oddness or crash? If it works each society could prefer a certain kind of weapon for increased flavor.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:34:05 am by Lordinquisitor »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 04:25:08 pm »

Made a new metal and worked out the basics of the creature, entity and weapons- But they still use all metals. (I removed all metal creating reactions, mines and diggers, yet they still do..) Does someone know how one can force them to only use a specific metal?

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 04:42:35 pm »

Remove [PERMITTED_JOB:FURNACE_OPERATOR], then grant them access to a reaction that makes the metal types that you want them to use. That should do it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3