Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: What is the best...Film?  (Read 30081 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best...Film?
« Reply #330 on: July 23, 2012, 03:58:51 am »

I have a few contenders, depending on category of film...

Fight Club. I saw it in the cinema having heared or seen nothing about it, not even the novel it is based on. It blew me away. The same for the original Matrix - no prior knowledge and it was great. The sequels sucked though.

Saving Private Ryan. Yes, it has Tom Hanks in it, but it has the credit of being the only movie that has reduced me to tears so far. I fel it conveys the horrors of war and the waste of life in a personal and tragic way. District 9 made me feel similar about how we have a capacity for evil that comes to the surface too easily.

Full Metal Jacket. Simply for its first half, with the whole dehumanisation process. Brutal. Hambrger Hill also deserves a mention here, as does Glory.

Twin Town. Massive bias here, as it was filmed where I grew up with local actors and many scenes filmed with "unaware" extras". A tale of growing up in a deprived urban area, and of revenge. Some fantastic black humour. I enjoyed Fear and Loathing a lot for its similar twisted humour.

Life of Brian or Quest for the Holy Grail by Python are probably the funniest.

Alien. Simply shit your pants scary by using tension and clever cinematography, instead of overuse of the monster. Blade RUnner shares some of the same style that I enjoy.

I am sure I have missed some that will come to mind once I think a little more.

Edit: Oh, yes... Das Boot (oh man is it tense) and Being John Malkovich (its just the right amount of crazy, especially when Malkovich gets insde his own head).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:16:26 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 23, 2012, 03:59:39 am »

I love Children of Men and Departures.

Watching the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in one sitting is also a whole lot of fun, it's like a yearly ritual for me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:04:23 am by Patchouli »

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #332 on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:52 am »

Little chliché maybe, but I consider The Big Lebowski to be one of the best movies ever made.
Call me a Coen-Fanboy, but I find something decent in any of their movies  :D

Another movie I absolutely loved, but only had a festival rotation and no proper release I think, is Hesher
But it's more a punch in the face than it is a movie.

Maybe those are just my favoruite movies.
Best movie would probably be Magnolia (Children of Men is very close, too. But so is nearly everything with Julianne Moore in it... if she's not co-starring Hugh Grant ._)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2012, 04:13:13 am »

i hesitate to state the absolute best film as if there was such a thing. i recently watched citizen kane, and it comes to mind. i'd feel i could also forward anything by kubrik.
from the most recent works to hit the cinema, i'd single 2010's richard "moss" ayoade's submarine as a revelation. the latest film i didn't felt ripped off for watching in the theater

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:14 am »

Well there's obviously no objective best, but this is an opinion thread anyway :P

I guess I should give honorable mention to Seven Samurai.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2012, 04:58:11 am »

Hmmm.... Hard to say, not being an enthusiast in that area, but I'd say ... Kodak Royal Gold 400. One of the best films there are, I've heard. :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2012, 08:21:21 am »

My two all-time favorite movies are Forrest Gump, and Inception.  :D

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2012, 08:27:30 am »

Films of grease. Watching your enemies fall over as they charge towards you: hilarious.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2012, 08:29:47 am »

Why is Fight Club spoken of so fuckin highly? Jesus christ, that movie was so fuckin average.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 23, 2012, 08:43:13 am »

All your answers are invalid, as they do not contain sufficient quantities of Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 23, 2012, 08:46:45 am »

That is at the very least the best way to die ever.

Best ending to a movie? Sneakers.

Tahiti is not in europe!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 23, 2012, 09:57:58 am »

Ooh gosh, Inception, I remember liking that a lot, too.
I hate trying to pick favourite movies, there are always a few that I know I like, then so many others I forget. :-\

I do like Sasquatch Dumpling Gang, though- by which I mean I have watched it a heap of times. It is strangely compelling.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 23, 2012, 11:14:53 am »

Why is Fight Club spoken of so fuckin highly? Jesus christ, that movie was so fuckin average.
Opinions, man. Opinions.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 23, 2012, 11:56:16 am »

All your answers are invalid, as they do not contain sufficient quantities of Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Yeah, Dr. Strangelove!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 23, 2012, 12:18:25 pm »

I'd have to say the best movie I've ever seen (I haven't seen many, compared to most people) is The Dark Knight, followed by The Matrix.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28