Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Creeper Cavern: 0.3 released! Go play Caverncrept!  (Read 19927 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Play as creepers!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 10:12:54 am »

I forgot to mention Ghasts, they're basically giant cave swallows that shoot explosions. (for those of you who are wondering, they fire creepite globs so they essentially shoot creeper explosions). But that's not as important right now. What is important is something I experienced during testing.

POP QUIZ!

Q. What do you get when you combine a creeper explosion and a plant-rich cavern?
A.

Unfortunately, I've found the flaw of all these shenanigans: creepers leave no corpses and therefore leave nothing to bury. And they'll stay as "Missing" forever. So you'll need slabs... lots and lots of slabs. Unless you enjoy creeper ghosts :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:38:14 am by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 11:56:22 am »

It actually makes sense when you consider that Mob bodies in game vanish after death.

Oh, yeah, PTW. Good job on this.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 12:22:36 pm »

Hopefully one day we can disable ghosts

NOTE:
for anyone that will suggest adding CANNOT_UNDEAD/NO_LIVING = Nope, any creature played in fortress mode can make a ghost if no proper burial/slab
Hardcoded feature. No way to get rid of it.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 12:28:39 pm »

It actually makes sense when you consider that Mob bodies in game vanish after death.

Poison the well? No way!

(just kidding)

So, testing is coming along swimmingly. I think I made them a bit faster than dwarfs, and the explosions have been very !!fun!!. Now I just need to go back and work out all the tissue layers. Variety mushrooms (I forget why I called them "variety", I think it was after a trip to the grocery store) successfully grow underground, but I have yet to encounter slimes in fortress mode... I want them to be as common as troglodytes so I'll go fool around with the raws a bit. I also want tiny slimes to pull wagons  :P

EDIT: Mission accomplished. However, tiny slimes cannot breed, because they have no gender. I'm keeping this in because the little guys are potentially overpowered, although it makes butchering them a fairly bad move. Is there any way to make asexual-ish creatures that reproduce without needing a partner or having a gender?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:01:51 pm by GoombaGeek »

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 08:23:37 pm »

Poison the well? No way!

(just kidding)

So, testing is coming along swimmingly. I think I made them a bit faster than dwarfs, and the explosions have been very !!fun!!. Now I just need to go back and work out all the tissue layers. Variety mushrooms (I forget why I called them "variety", I think it was after a trip to the grocery store) successfully grow underground, but I have yet to encounter slimes in fortress mode... I want them to be as common as troglodytes so I'll go fool around with the raws a bit. I also want tiny slimes to pull wagons  :P

EDIT: Mission accomplished. However, tiny slimes cannot breed, because they have no gender. I'm keeping this in because the little guys are potentially overpowered, although it makes butchering them a fairly bad move. Is there any way to make asexual-ish creatures that reproduce without needing a partner or having a gender?
Sadly, not yet.
We can hope it's coded in someday...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 10:03:42 pm »

Next best thing: plain ol' male and female castes where female slimes are called "slimettes". They have [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE], too.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »

Not bad. Not bad at all. PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 01:50:49 am »

It is possible, sort of, by giving them an interaction that transforms them into a creature with a self-severing bodypart, and the ability to reanimate said bodypart, then transform it into an instance of the complete creature at about the same time they transform back to their normal self.  However, such creatures will be considered undead by default, and I'm not sure if you can properly tame undead creatures.  Unless you want to make Creepers and all of the creatures they can tame undead by default.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 02:58:04 am »

Next best thing: plain ol' male and female castes where female slimes are called "slimettes". They have [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE], too.
Personally I think it'd be better if they were just called slimes all around.
It's not like there's really any difference...
Just my opinion...

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 08:10:49 am »

Personally I think it'd be better if they were just called slimes all around.
It's not like there's really any difference...
Just my opinion...
Girl slimes are red and normal slimes are blue. I'll think about, I'm not too sure either.
I also designated slime children as "mini (x)", so currently you can get "mini giant slimettes".

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 10:00:55 pm »

And I've come up with the best thing that I'll put in this release. It's the natural evolution of the tiny slime -> slime -> giant slime chain. Anything else would be ruining the surprise although you probably already have a pretty good idea of what it is.

EDIT: It shoved the limbs off a BC in five seconds. I think I might have to nerf it a bit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:04:22 pm by GoombaGeek »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:08 pm »

Read through whole thread, seems pretty awesome. PTW.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 10:21:28 pm »

:D

So anyway, remember this thread? And how I said I'd mod in a creature for that purpose?

Well then, meet... the Chronoslime! Because this is my mod and I can include whatever I want! Mwahahahaha!! (And I'm hoping to undercut the "crazy megabuilder" demographic.)

The Chronoslime can open doors, never dies of old age, requires no care and should move exactly 1 space every 10 time units (120 times a day). It's available at embark and in caverns, and testing its speed is currently underway. And it's BLUE! The next version should be out today or tomorrow.

This is the thread that says how to use a 10-delay creature, in case you're interested.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:27 am »

for defense, i think ill have a normal squad and a suicide squad, and a creeper dropper on my front gate. great mod btw, will make it much more entertaining than normal df, because tantrum spirals turn into tantrumplosions!
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 10:59:55 am »

testing its speed is currently underway
If you want them to be all the same speed, try making it's agility attribute fixed at one value.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8