Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Creeper Cavern: 0.3 released! Go play Caverncrept!  (Read 19901 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Creeper Cavern: 0.3 released! Go play Caverncrept!
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:15:36 pm »

Creeper Cavern
Explode and die!

This link leads to our succession game, currently in progress!

History
Once upon a time, I bought Minecraft and played it a lot. This continued for a little under two years. But then I slowly realized that the community was stupid. So I very sneakily shifted all my attention to DF and haven't looked back (not really, I still play it but not online). Then I wanted to make a first mod, and here it is! In this mod, you can do some neat stuff so keep reading.

Features
  • Dwarves have been replaced by creepers, who have four legs, no arms and explode upon death (don't worry, the front legs can grasp things)
  • Grow brown and red variety mushrooms - brown mushrooms are dirt-cheap and quick to grow while red mushrooms grow slower but are more valuable
  • Find and eat and grow juicy watermelons, then brew them into almost-as-valuable-as-sunshine melon spirits
  • Grow pumpkins with edible leaves
  • Roses and dandelions can be grown for dye
  • Turn your bling into things - gems and diamonds can be refined into useful metal!
  • Make crushing piston traps out of wood or metal
  • Some graphical tiles, mostly furniture
  • Also packaged with a modified Jolly Bastion and my hand-drawn sets
  • Slimes, basically mobile giant sponges that are weak to slashing or piercing. They come in lots of different sizes.
  • Lava cubes, imagine flaming slimes
  • Ghasts fly around and shoot explosions at you
  • Zombie race that's fairly nice
  • Miner race that's not nice - basically your average Minecraft player. Also comes with a rare building-destroyer Griefer caste
  • Mooshrooms - slightly more exciting cows
  • The Enderdragons avoids traps and breathes fire
  • Titanic Slimes menace your fort and are gigantic - kill them and you'll be eating slime slime for years

To-Do List
  • Make spider livestock that give delicious spider milk
  • Skeleton races that are on good terms with creepers?
  • Evil versions of zombies and skeletons that inhabit caverns, both building-destroyers?
  • Trainable wolves that aren't available at embark (much like normal slimes)
  • Merging the awkward "cave spiders" with pre-existing "cave spiders" - maybe the poisonous Minecraft ones will be "medium cave spiders"?
  • Vermin fish "Minefish"
  • Blazes! They're basically spirits of fire. Um.
  • Zombies work correctly and drop syndrome-causing meat - yum
  • And more!

Download Version 0.3!

Old Downloads that aren't on DFFD
Version 0.1 (MediaFire)

Picture

The lap of creepish luxury

Credits:
- GoombaGeek (me), just putting this here in case anyone copy-pastes this entire thread.
- Putnam, GreatWyrmGold and Quietust for helping me out with the creeper bodytype when I made a bunch of noob mistakes
- Minecraft and the mobs contained within are all the propery of Mojang Specifications
- Dwarf Fortress belongs to Toady One
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:17:14 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Creeper Cavern: Play as creepers!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:05:52 pm »

Sweet, I helped!
Glad to be of assistance. I might check this out sometime.

How much does their tendancy to explode affect fortresses? It seems like tantrum spirals would be a lot faster...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:21:38 pm »

Sweet, I helped!
Glad to be of assistance. I might check this out sometime.

How much does their tendancy to explode affect fortresses? It seems like tantrum spirals would be a lot faster...
In arena mode testing, their explosions reached about two squares away from the creepers, so densely packed hospitals would be... an issue... Fortress mode hasn't been tested that far yet. I'll have to try embarking in a Terrifying biome.

A medical system would get very Fun if your creepers kill someone in surgery. On the plus side, they leave no corpse to become undead! On the negative side, one of them dying during a delicate floodgate operation would probably end up flooding your fortress. They basically spray magma mist: they drop the mineral "creepite" which boils below freezing and is always 60000 degrees Urist. It's still not as doomular as I'd like but it does damage whatever kills them. (Against enemies that kill by throwing, though, it's basically useless.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »

Add a syndrome to the gas.
Also, 60,000 degrees Urist it about 48,000 degrees above the temperature of magma, which I believe is rather hotter than the surface of the sun AND capable of melting adamantine. A nice 11-12k degrees should be sufficient for burning.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:58:34 pm »

I would say at least make it just below the melting point of candy, im sure that wouldn't lower it's lethality that much (have little experience on this though)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:03:47 am »

hehehe. I love being in mod credits :3

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:26:44 am »

I would say at least make it just below the melting point of candy, im sure that wouldn't lower it's lethality that much (have little experience on this though)
Seeing as both 60,000 U and 20,000 U are enough to melt, if not boil, most creaturemats...probably not.
Sig

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:31:40 am »

I'd say just leave it in. Creepers having the ability to melt candy just has a certain kind of... correctness to it
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 09:46:44 pm »

I haven't tested creepite as a metal AND having a fixed temperature yet - that could get better explosions at a lower temperature. But I also like the idea of really hot creeper explosions - after all, we all know that the only things immune to creepers are obsidian and bedrock slade! Maybe I can boost the melting temperature of obsidian to make it impervious to creepers :P Or I could keep it as it is and yes, add a Fun burninating syndrome to the dust somehow (but should creepers be immune to this... OR NOT?!). What I really want is an explosion that's worth weaponizing. 10 nobles too many in your fortress? Why not give them some nice new offices right at your entrance and let their detonating corpses take down the first goblin raiding party in a siege?

I'm also going to work on other mod aspects, though. I think I can make pumpkin helms with a custom reaction, but what workshop will we do this at - the farmer's workshop, the clothier's, the cook's, the metalsmith's forge?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »

Well, out of those only the kitchen lets you make custom reactions.

How much do Minecraft creeper explosions affect each other?
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 11:25:20 pm »

In-game, they damage other creepers but do not set them off.

And another thing: should they be alcohol dependent? I'm trying to think of malicious ways to debuff them in order to balance the mod if I do remove it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:30:01 pm by GoombaGeek »

Raptor_a22

• Bay Watcher
  • [DERP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:46:24 am »

Drunk Creepers... oh dear Armok everyone is so going to die!
Raptor's CivMod, Mithril and Dark Elves and Alchemy, oh my!
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where severe necrosis leading to exploding limbs is "awesome."

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:40 am »

-Gunpowder, distilled from gunpowder ore. Makes 20 gunpowder. Only creepers can drink, they need it to stay happy.-

?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:19:12 am »

In-game, they damage other creepers but do not set them off.

And another thing: should they be alcohol dependent? I'm trying to think of malicious ways to debuff them in order to balance the mod if I do remove it.

Make creepers' explosions have a chance to set each other off as a debuff. It violates canon, but it solves your problem and is bloody hilarious.
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:15:05 am »

Well, if the explosion kills them then they will go off in turn  8)

So I could also attach a burninating syndrome to the explosion... somehow. Oh, and by changing creepite to a metal I did get some nice explosions (they now cover about three tiles but still do only minor damage to things caught in the explosion - but it managed to inhibit a BC's lower body :o ). For the syndrome, I guess there are a couple choices:

- Fun option: Creepers randomly give off a syndrome cloud that burns everything in it, including themselves.
- Make it so that anything that eats a creeper burns to death from the syndrome.
- EDIT: Yes, making creepite give off a horrifying pain/blister/fever syndrome is possible and I'm working on it as we speak!

EDIT EDIT: The Creepite Syndrome is done. It now gives off a "creeper burn" which can be inflicted in many ways - and hoo boy, it's nasty. It causes severe blisters, bleeding, pain and fever and lasts for about four days. Hopefully this is very Fun, although it would also make combat against things fairly easy if you have a high population.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: It managed to make a cyclops stagger around for a bit and trail blood and grease, but its healing factor saved it. In fact, lots of things seem to heal from the explosion... maybe it means they just stopped bleeding? But the important thing is that the explosion strips the fat off afflicted areas, making most creatures unable to move. Yeeg.

I also want to work on introducing the zombie race soon. Hopefully I'll find a good way to make them trail miasma behind them - give them a rotten brain/heart?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:48:07 am by GoombaGeek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8