Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 672823 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Battle Analyzer patched out
« Reply #2700 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:00 pm »

I like this. If anyone wants to try their hand at my Pokemon test, feel free to chime in.

I'll let it go on for awhile before I reveal what the pokemon do.

Edit:

Actually, I'll be fair. I'll put the answer in this spoiler. Check it after you've thought about what you'd do and see if you got caught.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: January 27, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: January 27, 2014, 05:35:31 pm »

Damn son, you're failing your Pokemon test here.
I saw a set I have defeated (almost exactly too, it's eerie) seeming to be indicated as invincible. So I posted how I defeated it and why I ended up successfully predicting it. 

Second one was pokes I am not entirely familiar with, I had actually used both smeargle and garchomp in the past.  That wasn't the case with absol and espeon, and magic bounce stopped me cold, I was also limiting myself to pokemon I use in my current set.  I could look up the pokemon on smogon instead of going off the top of my head, but wheres the fun in that? :P

As for that last set Since seaking is on the other side from Gyarados the lightning rod won't be protecting it, and I know enough about the trashbag to know he's some kind of pure poison wall that likes laying toxic spikes.  I would probably need something with rapid spin handy, and a ground type to properly down it.  In the case of my team I would probably be trying to kill gyarados and seaking and ignoring it til I can either safely get rhyperior in or it's help is all dead I can focus it.  My Jolteon could probably handle Gyarados since it hits hard and is fast enough to attack before Seaking can swap to mid and cover it with lightningrod, or gyarados can do something like earthquake and kill his buddy in trade for jolteon.  But I would have to use Sceptile to work down Seaking, and hope to god to avoid megahorn or hit hard enough to one shot.

These quizzes are interesting.  At least to me, seeing how other people deal with this stuff :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:39:44 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: January 27, 2014, 06:13:49 pm »

Feel free to look up the pokemon. If it were that easy I wouldn't have lost to these combos.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: January 28, 2014, 05:41:38 am »

Since we have a wealth of Poke-knowledge here, I need your advise.

Cleafable
Calm Nature
252HP / 252 SpDef / 252 Def
- Cosmic Power
- Moonlight/Wish
- Moonblast
- Stored Power

I choose Calm because I have so many physicall walls already. The question is which ability is best?

Magic Guard allows it to hold Life Orb without taking recoil damage or Fire Orb without taking Burn damage (-Att does not matter of a Special Attacker) and also giving it immunity to status.

Unaware allows it to counter setup sweeper as it setups using Cosmic Power itself. However, this is exploitable to 'mons with Trace ability such as Gardevoir or Porygon2.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: January 28, 2014, 06:35:53 am »

Well, which is the least exploitable by the opponent? Clefable is bulky, so it can take a hit, it can heal, and deal damage - the only gap it has is status, and that's blocked by Magic Guard.

Additionally, while Unaware is good, it is best on a wallbreaker. Clefable is not really a great wallbreaker, it's more a stalling type. And as you said, it's wholly exploitable by Porygon2 and Gardevoir.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: January 28, 2014, 09:07:33 am »

You're right. The Magic Guard Cleafable is hatched :D

Also NSFW Pokemon breeding action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Sp9Q3pu_w
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: January 28, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »

This is my Clefable:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power
- Ice Beam

I was actually thinking of putting flame orb on it just to make it immune to status. But the way I saw it, no one ever bothers to status Clefable anyway.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: January 29, 2014, 04:08:55 am »

umi, thanks I'll be using similar moveset, except I'll replace Ice Beam with Stored Power. I feel it works well with Cosmic Power and I want my Cleafable to have it as a signature move.

Breeding Wobbuffet with Encore now, sadly that means I have to choose between Lax Incense + Everstone OR Lax Incense + Destiny Knot. I decided to use Everstone to pass down the Bold nature. Problem is the Wynatus can only inherit 3 perfect IVs without Destiny Knot. I've got one with perfect IVs in HP, Def, and SpDef and 26-27 IV in Spe.

Is it worth breeding for 4 perfect IVs (HP, Def, SpDef, Spe)? Wobbuffet's 33 base speed seems hopeless to outspeed majority of 'mons, but Encore and Safeguard will benefit from higher Speed...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: January 29, 2014, 10:15:14 am »

This is my Clefable:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Cosmic Power
- Ice Beam

I was actually thinking of putting flame orb on it just to make it immune to status. But the way I saw it, no one ever bothers to status Clefable anyway.

I make a point of paralysing anything that I think outspeeds my slowest mon. Paralysis wouldn't be too bad on Clefable anyway, given you can just soft boiled/wish/moonlight your way to victory in the turns you are not paralysed in.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: January 29, 2014, 02:21:12 pm »

Yeah, don't follow my Clefable haha. It has such a weird build. It's only like that because those are some of the skills I need and are missing in the team it's in, which is the super stall team.

I needed a fairy type to tank dragons. Ice beam will 2HKO Salamence and Dragonite, while 1HKOing Garchomp and Zygarde. The soft-boiled and cosmic power are there simply because all the opponents I fight will be poisoned already by my other pokemon. I'm still very tempted to get unaware over magic guard simply because no one ever bothers to toxic / burn Clefable.

Like Reudh pointed out. Don't really care about paralyze. I don't want to move before the enemy and I don't mind missing a few turns.

Here's my full team:

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: January 30, 2014, 07:39:51 am »

Because of the dominance of physical attackers in the meta, I tend to use Will-o-Wisp instead of Thunder Wave. Toxic is used against walls whenever possible. I have a Blissey in the team that can wall any special attacker except Ghost-type that is immune to Toxic or Sleep Talker.

Anyway, has anyone had any success with Unburden Sceptile in X/Y? Too bad we can't acquire Flying Gem, because it synergises well with Acrobatic and once Unburden activates, Sceptile will be the fastest starter of all gens (base speed is tie with Greninja). With the absence of Flying Gem, I am considering:
- White Herb to power up Leaf Storm
- Focus Sash or damage-reducing berry to lure Fire or Ice or Flying or Psyhcic types while Sword Dancing
- Red Card for general use

Movesets I have in mind:

Spoiler: "Mixed Sceptile" (click to show/hide)

Another alternative:

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:10:06 am by BuriBuriZaemon »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:43 am »

Will-o-wisp has somewhat shaky accuracy, right? And some pokemon benefit from being burnt (eg. Swellow, Ursaring, anything with Guts)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: January 30, 2014, 08:10:05 am »

I'm not a fan of Sceptile. I don't like its low survivability and limited movepool.

Unburden on its own is pretty nifty, as with some guys you can do stuff like get a turn to use swords dance and tank one supereffective hit before they're forced to switch out. Or you could do the usual gem stuff.

But Sceptile is.... hard to do that with. I find he's not tanky enough to handle red card unless it's something stupid like hidden power ice. And like you said, flying gem isn't in the game.

In addition, every time I've used him I've been limited in what I can do with him. For example, Greninja has very similar stats to Sceptile, but Greninja has protean. You can go nuts with that guy. Psychic, ghost pokemon comes out? Bam, pure dark type STAB. Grass, flying, dragon, ground? Pure ice type STAB. Fairy? Change to poison. Etc. Sceptile only has leaf storm and leaf blade. Considering unburden only works the first time you lose an item, it really sucks as he's not reliable enough to stay on the field to take advantage of the unburden.

If I were to choose a grass starter to play with, I'd go with contrary Serperior. He too has leaf storm, except he gets 2x more special attack every time he uses it. Also has superpower, which is very odd for a grass type.

By the way, if I were to rank the grass starters, they'd be like this:

1. Venusaur (grass wall supreme, king of them all. Mega form is nuts with thick fat.)
2. Serperior (contrary shenanigans)
3. Chesnaught (hammer arm + wood hammer + spiky shield)
4. Torterra (like a less powerful Venusaur but has STAB earthquake)
5. Sceptile (fastest of all these guys)
6. Meganium (useless)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: January 30, 2014, 08:30:40 am »

Venusaur was no 1 the moment it got Chlorophyll, in my opinion.

What about water starters?

1. Greninja (mainly because of Protean letting it jump between types and its blazing speed allowing it to take advantage of this)
2. Swampert (Only one weakness, great at setting up rocks and phazing, and STAB Earthquake AND Earth Power.)
3. Blastoise (Mega form is crazy strong, plus it's a moderately bulky and fast spinner.)
4. Empoleon (Good typing, plus a fair support movepool)
5. Feraligatr (Though cool, he doesn't really have much but Water STAB and SD / Dragon Dance.)
6. Samurott (Same as Feraligatr, really, but slower.)

And Fire?

1. Blaziken (Mega form, or no mega form, speed boost is insane. I've seen Life Orb Speed Boost Blaziken wreck entire teams without setup.)
2. Charizard (Formerly nearly useless without support, it's now tough enough with its two Mega evolutions to warrant its place.)
3. Infernape (Nice typing, plus a blistering speed and the ability to pull teams apart with Flare Blitz. 108 speed is pretty fast, especially with 104/104 attack stats too.)
4. Emboar (While the last in a line of Fire/Fighting types, he is bulky and capable of decent offense.)
5. Delphox (Like the "fire types of old" as smogon puts it, Delphox has high Spatk and Spdef, plus fair speed. Fire/Psychic is a good typing offensively. It's frail, and doesn't have much space in its movepool, though.)
6. Typhlosion (While not inherently bad, and having pretty nice stats all around, it's just not up to par with the blistering speeds of blaziken and infernape, nor the wallbreaking capabilities of Charizard and Emboar, nor the support moves of Delphox.)
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 463