Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 673291 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Poll added!
« Reply #2100 on: November 12, 2013, 11:55:14 am »

Gym Leader Rules:
You may only use as many pokemon as your opponent- if they choose to only use three, you are limited to three or less.
You may have ONE pokemon of a non-matching type as your Gym, however, this can't be too off-the-wall. A Grass gym could use a Bug/Poison if they really wanted to, but only a single kind. The pokemon in question MUST have an attacking move of the type of your gym- a Venomoth with Stun Spore and Sleeping Powder dosen't count. ((Neither does a Charizard with Solar Beam, that's absurd.))
You may use a Mega Evolution, and there aren't any restrictions on which one, though I'd suggest the last one (Gym leader motif.)
You may have any held items you want.

Me habs Issues with those rules pal:

As for Safari Typing: I refuse to use Ice. - I'm either going to use Fire Fairy or Flying or I'm out immediately.
As for as many as opponent uses, Bull, Most Gym leaders in game only have 3 or 4 pokemon at any time. So no more than Four.
You the Leader may Mega Evolve only if the Challenger Mega Evolves. - Fix'd.
I refuse the one non-type pokemon rule in entirety.
The item rule sounds fun, and I've always liked having whatever items on whatever pokemon but my issue lies in its lack of specificness: does this mean we could have duplicate items?

To be honest, I'm a fan of the one non-type Pokemon rule. From what I can tell, a Grass type gym has absolutely no way to remove entry hazards outside of breeding Defog onto a Seedot, which can't happen right now. I'm totally alright with the gym leaders having 6 Pokemon, too, especially since you KNOW what type that you're going up against.

Since I was considering a Grass-type gym, I figured that I'd be facing Talonflame/Blaziken for sure. Wouldn't it be easy as hell just to send a grass-type with Endeavor and a Focus Sash? Sunkern learns Endeavor, so it can be bred onto other grass-types. Instant Talonflame with 1 HP. I imagine that they'd switch the Talonflame back out immediately.

Actually, Endeavor can be bred onto a HA Tangrowth. Certainly unconventional, but effective, I think. Actually, considering Regenerator and its base Defense stat, it might not be a bad idea to have Tangrowth as a wall against Talonflame/Blaziken.
Also often called Boowells.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: November 12, 2013, 11:56:38 am »

I could join the Gym League, however I must first build up a team decent enough for that.
I could take either Steel, Dark, Rock (as long as they are all from fossils) or even Dragon (might take a while to get enough mons for that).

Also, instead of doing types as the games usually do, then wynaut go for certain.. philosophies.
Such as only using Fossil mons, or using a team strictly consisting of small pokemon.
Or maybe gym leader would prefer mons who are all about speed.
Would any of this be acceptable?

Actually that sounds interesting.  Maybe I'll do a doubles trick room team. 

I may also breed a seperate heat wave chandelure and mega Charizard team. Sun+scarf heat wave sounds sorta crazy.

If we are doing type gyms they should be pure monotype. Otherwise it really is not a mono team.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: November 12, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »

I could probably do the first gym, as a Bug Type, considering I like that type and I'm not a particularly competitive battler.

Also, is there any way to reset EVs? I think I've heard of a punching bag that does it. My main reason is because my prized rather average Granbull, Fluffeh, might be better as a tank rather than a Trick Room sweeper.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 12, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »

I could probably do the first gym, as a Bug Type, considering I like that type and I'm not a particularly competitive battler.

Also, is there any way to reset EVs? I think I've heard of a punching bag that does it. My main reason is because my prized rather average Granbull, Fluffeh, might be better as a tank rather than a Trick Room sweeper.

3 ways that I know of;

a) Reset bag - punch the 'blank' bag you have by default and you will sometimes get a bag that has effects. One of these bags is the Reset bag. Since you can only hold 12 bags at a time you'll have to ditch lots of junk 'S' bags. If you get a Flare bag you can use it to speed the process by motivating the punching pokemon.

b) EV reducing berries. Feed 11 to a pokemon to wipe out the relevant EVs completely (1st drops it to 100, thereafter drops by 10 each time. Obviously if you have less than 100 EVs to start it goes quicker)

c) Perilous Soup. Obtained in the Juice Shop by combining the new berries, Kee and Maranga. I'm pretty sure this has to be consumed on the spot so don't make it unless you're ready to use it!

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: November 12, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »

Gym Leader Rules:
You may only use as many pokemon as your opponent- if they choose to only use three, you are limited to three or less.
You may have ONE pokemon of a non-matching type as your Gym, however, this can't be too off-the-wall. A Grass gym could use a Bug/Poison if they really wanted to, but only a single kind. The pokemon in question MUST have an attacking move of the type of your gym- a Venomoth with Stun Spore and Sleeping Powder dosen't count. ((Neither does a Charizard with Solar Beam, that's absurd.))
You may use a Mega Evolution, and there aren't any restrictions on which one, though I'd suggest the last one (Gym leader motif.)
You may have any held items you want.

Me habs Issues with those rules pal:

As for Safari Typing: I refuse to use Ice. - I'm either going to use Fire Fairy or Flying or I'm out immediately.
As for as many as opponent uses, Bull, Most Gym leaders in game only have 3 or 4 pokemon at any time. So no more than Four.
You the Leader may Mega Evolve only if the Challenger Mega Evolves. - Fix'd.
I refuse the one non-type pokemon rule in entirety.
The item rule sounds fun, and I've always liked having whatever items on whatever pokemon but my issue lies in its lack of specificness: does this mean we could have duplicate items?

To be honest, I'm a fan of the one non-type Pokemon rule. From what I can tell, a Grass type gym has absolutely no way to remove entry hazards outside of breeding Defog onto a Seedot, which can't happen right now. I'm totally alright with the gym leaders having 6 Pokemon, too, especially since you KNOW what type that you're going up against.

Since I was considering a Grass-type gym, I figured that I'd be facing Talonflame/Blaziken for sure. Wouldn't it be easy as hell just to send a grass-type with Endeavor and a Focus Sash? Sunkern learns Endeavor, so it can be bred onto other grass-types. Instant Talonflame with 1 HP. I imagine that they'd switch the Talonflame back out immediately.

Actually, Endeavor can be bred onto a HA Tangrowth. Certainly unconventional, but effective, I think. Actually, considering Regenerator and its base Defense stat, it might not be a bad idea to have Tangrowth as a wall against Talonflame/Blaziken.
And that's why these are Gyms, not the Elite four.
One non-type on E4 I'm okay with, but Gyms? You're joking, no seriously, you are joking.
Just the citizens in the town will give a way the gym-type in their city in-game so that lets trainers prep for their fight. that's how gyms work, they are meant to be beaten.
The E4 on the other hand...They're meant to be challenges.

And it's been done in both cases in Sinnoh, I know, i mean, an electric gym with an Octillery and Ambipom? Or a fire-type E4 with 5 pokemon and only two of which are actually fire type
AH BUT: in that same region the 8th gym leader, who had non-specialized types on his team was thinking about what? Fighting the E4 himself because he hadn't been beaten in a while

So I have a really good and proven-in-game point.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:52:58 pm by RekkaAtsuma »
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »

How about a compromise: One non-typed monster, but it has to have evolved from a mon with the correct type. (such as Drapion on a bug team or Dragalgae on a water team) Or be Ditto or Kecleon.

To be honest, I'm a fan of the one non-type Pokemon rule. From what I can tell, a Grass type gym has absolutely no way to remove entry hazards outside of breeding Defog onto a Seedot, which can't happen right now.
Seedot can breed with Smeargle. You were saying?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:55 pm »

How about a compromise: One non-typed monster, but it has to have evolved from a mon with the correct type. (such as Drapion on a bug team or Dragalgae on a water team) Or be Ditto or Kecleon.

To be honest, I'm a fan of the one non-type Pokemon rule. From what I can tell, a Grass type gym has absolutely no way to remove entry hazards outside of breeding Defog onto a Seedot, which can't happen right now.
This I can live with.
Such as Marill/Azumarill on a normal Gym due to Azurill being Normal, terrible example maybe, but hey, it works.

EDIT:
but can smeargle sketch Defog in-game?
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: November 12, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »

Doubles, Smeargle+Mandibuzz, Defog one turn, Sketch the next.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: November 12, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »

Yeah I like that type restriction modification.  It's good to have limits. Otherwise these gyms really are no different from a standard team.

Are there any fire types that lose type? I can't think of any lol.

Given that I don't want my gym to be too hard, I think I'll swap out moltres and blaziken if I can find some replacements. If charizard\chadelure doubles work like I think they do it will be a fun challenge regardless.

ekolis

• Bay Watcher
  • Itsa Mii! Ed!
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #2109 on: November 12, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »

So how do you use legendary Pokemon in online battles, anyway? When I had Xerneas on my team, I was told that I had Pokemon that couldn't be used. Or is it just Xerneas and Yveltal that are restricted, not the other legendary Pokemon you might find?
Charizard uses Kafrizzle! The Wizard of Yendor faints! The party gained 500 gil!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:48 pm »

Depends on the mode you select.

Random free online you can use whatever as long as no repeats.

Rating you can use everything except legendaries with BST higher than 600. This means Zapdos and the like are fine.

Friend battles you can generally use anything unless they selected flat rules.

I'd stick to friend battles. Gamefreak's 3v3 right now is just a huge mess. Basically a battle of priority.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: November 12, 2013, 02:20:27 pm »

Man, you guys have got me jealous with all the pokemon-ing going on here. I got the game as a present a couple weeks ago, but I don't have a 3DS, so I'm just sitting here staring forlornly at the box, annoyed at how there's no instruction manual. >:( Oh well, I'll get a 3DS by/for Christmas.

If the gym thing ends up happening, I'll gladly be a gym leader. I don't much care about which type, although I won't be dark. I might actually make two gym teams, a type-based one and a themed one. I really like the theme team idea.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: November 12, 2013, 02:37:11 pm »

Ok looked into heatwave chandelure and it looks like I need to await the transfer unless heat wave can transfer from something other than a tutored slugma.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: November 12, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »

I just discovered that Pokemon Showdown has all the X & Y stuff added in already so I'll probably switch to that. It does what I want from Pokemon anyway.

1. 6v6 online battles
2. Access to every pokemon without limitations
3. Being able to field whatever you want and change anything you need on the fly without having to spend days rebreeding.

For example, here's something I just tested after it was inflicted on my in a random battle yesterday but couldn't test myself given I would have had to breed a Gyrados from scratch.

With reflect, Mega Gyrados's substitute can tank through Aegislash shadow sneak and Garchomp fire fang without failing. Considering Mega Gyrados is pretty freaking strong to begin with, I think it would be worth exploring.

Here's some other things I want to test out as they've been inflicted on me:

1. Durant + Gothitelle combo. Durant can switch your ability to truant, which is that useless thing that makes you skip every second turn. After that, if you hit it, it can use eject button to switch out. After it switches, Gothitelle comes in with shadow tag to prevent you from leaving.

What happens next is ridiculous. Gothitelle can use calm mind for free because your pokemon will be truant-ing. Second turn Gothitelle will use protect so you can't do anything. After that it's calm mind again. Repeat.

2. Noivern with taunt is quite possibly the fastest taunt user in the entire game. If you lead with it, it seems it can taunt anything (though it'll take a thunder wave from Klefki most likely). It's very useful if you think the enemy will start with some kind of set up or support. Not to mention it's really strong in general.

3. Heliolisk seems to have a paralyze ability in glare that can paralyze ground type.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 12, 2013, 02:51:25 pm »

Doubles, Smeargle+Mandibuzz, Defog one turn, Sketch the next.

It's not that. Seedot can learn Defog through chainbreeding with Farfetch'd and Swanna, too, actually. You don't even need Smeargle. The problem is getting Seedot in the first place.

Huh, I take that back. Apparently Nuzleaf is listed in the Dark-type friend safari, so I assumed it wasn't possible to get it. My mistake.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 463