Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Visual novel thread  (Read 45066 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Visual novel thread
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2015, 05:37:16 pm »

HOLY SHIT MUV LUV IS GONNA DO A KICKSTARTER TO GET AN OFFICIAL ENGLISH RELEASE ON STEAM!
Necroing for crosspost of ^
I can't wait for the Steam achievements.

So I've been giving so-called "kinetic novels" a shot; VNs that have no choices or gameplay basically. The one I completed last week was "planetarium: reverie of a little planet".
I couldn't care for Planetarium. It was too short for me to care and also Key.

Setting was neat though.

...I haven't finished any VNs in awhile...

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2015, 09:27:22 pm »

Disaster. That should not be applauded.
Huh?
Something something, selling out, something something quality.

Basically, as VNs become less niche the average quality on them will drop dramatically as they go for larger appeal (see Sakura Spirit and Nekopara), and as older/higher quality VNs are officially translated, they get bowdlerized in a way that ruins the work (You can see some bits of it in stuff like Konosora), especially in the transition from 18+ > all-ages. This is amplified because of the way that VNs are coming to the west through crowdfunding like Kickstarter because they're trying to cash in largely on the western otaku market who can't read moon runes and have no intention on ever putting the forth the effort, a section of the market that also largely wants waifu simulators. What will wind up coming to the west because of this are shitty moege and the like, as opposed to some of the important works that actually push the medium or take advantage of it to be more than hentai anime you watch at your own pace.

MLA especially holds a place in mine, and a lot other people who've been reading VNs for a long ass time because A, it's one of the few legitimately 10/10 VNs to ever come to English for mass consumption by the western world, and B, successfully installing it is a natural gatekeeper that keeps idiots who can't use google out of discussions over it because of how difficult it is.

Part of it is a "muh sekrit club" bitching, but part of it is a legitimate criticism with the fact that the quality of the medium as a whole will drop dramatically as it enters mainstream. The day Comyu becomes above the curve is the day I put on my grandpa outfit and rose-tinted glasses and reminisce about the days when non-shit was produced.

On another note, Subahibi translation is coming out very soon, which led to our lord and savior Moogy to declare it kusoge now. Get your shit game while it's hot.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2015, 11:20:36 pm »

*whistling as pours more money into official translation of Clannad*

edit: I also want to make note about the VN translation scene as I had some experience with xml rewrites. Not all of us want to learn a new language and if you did, it would take years before you can read with a flow. I rather translate it as its easier on the eyes plus it can be made grammatically correct since japanese can be backwards as hell when converted to english. months spent decrypting data files and creating XML pointers is hard word and honestly you dont make a single dollar. In the end its the satisfaction. Translation groups are going to continue, hell with the Vita getting closer to being completely hack we should see VN english patches in the near future. The big difference with this is that you can even purchase the game from the japanese store and patch it from your computer.

VN market is expanding whether you like it or not. There was crapton of shitty ero novels back in the day anyways so its not even different at all. You just gotta look for the dime in the dozen. For instance, SteinsGate VN has been announced for NA release for PS3 and Vita on August 25. Mangagamer, which produces a ton of the ero VNs and such, got their hands on the translation license on Liar-soft's Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning which comes from a very good steampunk series.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:48:23 pm by Tellemurius »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:32 am »

It's funny that you mention Clannad, because that's exactly my issue. It was a terribly done fan TL of a really, really good VN, and then shitkai project picked it up and basically got half a million dollars to put it on steam and that's it. They were not going to even touch the actual TL until there was unending bitching at which point they caved to "touch it up".

That's exactly the kind of bullshit that can and will happen to VNs in their current direction. There's far too many shitheads like Dovac and too few companies that are actually translating worthwhile stuff, because worthwhile stuff isn't profitable. The last big official release of something that wasn't nukige or moege was Cartagra and that was a big flop. Going down the weekly rankings on Mangagamer is 1. Nukige, 2. Fucking HuniePop, 3. Moege, 4. Nukige, 5. Nukige. Goddamn fucking HuniPop is #2. If you haven't read it, I'll spare you the pain and tell you that calling it absolute garbage is an insult to garbage. At least Sakura Spirit had a good artist.

The western market isn't interested in anything interesting, they want waifu simulators and fapping material. I'll stick to being a masterrace moonreader if the only thing that beats trash like HuniePop is a new nukige that was released this week.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2015, 12:51:59 am »

Yeah, I wish people would stop liking things that I don't like!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2015, 03:21:41 am »

The commercialization of VN translations is necessary to get some of the real gems released over here, and Steam releases are probably the best means to grow the target audience to a size where such ventures are actually profitable. In that regard, Sekai Project is valuable. Concerns over "bowdlerization" in translations aren't unjustified, but I really expect we'll see Steam relaxing their restrictions on adult content over the next few years. If you've ever watched any Steamworks dev talks then you'll know what I'm talking about; Valve is moving toward a far more decentralized storefront where anyone can sell anything as long as it's not illegal: that's their end-goal, and it's maybe 4 years off.

If you're actually interested in the future of VNs (and I don't mean godawful OELVNs) then it'd be better to acknowledge that a lot of these issues are just growing pains. The state of the "scene" is significantly better than it was ten years ago.

...and maybe someday we'll get a Mahoutsukai no Yoru translation. Maybe even before Tsukihime 2.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2015, 07:44:37 am »

It's funny that you mention Clannad, because that's exactly my issue. It was a terribly done fan TL of a really, really good VN, and then shitkai project picked it up and basically got half a million dollars to put it on steam and that's it. They were not going to even touch the actual TL until there was unending bitching at which point they caved to "touch it up".

That's exactly the kind of bullshit that can and will happen to VNs in their current direction. There's far too many shitheads like Dovac and too few companies that are actually translating worthwhile stuff, because worthwhile stuff isn't profitable. The last big official release of something that wasn't nukige or moege was Cartagra and that was a big flop. Going down the weekly rankings on Mangagamer is 1. Nukige, 2. Fucking HuniePop, 3. Moege, 4. Nukige, 5. Nukige. Goddamn fucking HuniPop is #2. If you haven't read it, I'll spare you the pain and tell you that calling it absolute garbage is an insult to garbage. At least Sakura Spirit had a good artist.

The western market isn't interested in anything interesting, they want waifu simulators and fapping material. I'll stick to being a masterrace moonreader if the only thing that beats trash like HuniePop is a new nukige that was released this week.
You have a lot of hate or didn't really read the rest of my post. VN market has been at the same state years ago except now you got western markets incoming. All those Nukige and Moege you are complaining about obviously released in Japan first. If anything blame them for continuing to let this shit thrive.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2015, 08:29:40 am »

On another note, Subahibi translation is coming out very soon, which led to our lord and savior Moogy to declare it kusoge now. Get your shit game while it's hot.
fuck yeah

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:18 am »

Yeah, I wish people would stop liking things that I don't like!
And also things I do like

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2015, 02:46:04 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2015, 03:49:58 pm »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series?ref=video

kickstarter's up! Those stretch goals O_O
It's almost hard to fathom there being even more content when you look at just how goddamn big Muv-Luv Extra/Unlimited/Alternative are. 

That said, having just finished the trilogy recently, I'm a little burned out on Muv-Luv at the moment.  Well, that and I really hate Takeru.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2015, 05:42:19 pm »

I'm of two minds on it. On one hand, it's great that it's finally getting done all nice and official, and it seems probable that a lot of new stuff will come, but on the other it feels fairly shitty to take work someone did for free (the fan TL) and profit off of that.

In this case I'm fairly supportive because they're obviously trying to add a lot to the fan tl and if they can actually get MLA to work properly on 64 bit machines without jumping through an ungodly number of hoops, more power to them. I'm still a little cautious after the Clannad bullshit. At least it isn't shitkai project this time.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2015, 06:55:36 pm »

I'm of two minds on it. On one hand, it's great that it's finally getting done all nice and official, and it seems probable that a lot of new stuff will come, but on the other it feels fairly shitty to take work someone did for free (the fan TL) and profit off of that.

In this case I'm fairly supportive because they're obviously trying to add a lot to the fan tl and if they can actually get MLA to work properly on 64 bit machines without jumping through an ungodly number of hoops, more power to them. I'm still a little cautious after the Clannad bullshit. At least it isn't shitkai project this time.

Quote from: Kickstarter page
The Translation

With more than 2.7 million Japanese characters, the Muv-Luv series is a huge project to translate.

We're assembling a joint task force to tackle this. A mix of dedicated fan translators and professional translators from Japan will work directly with the creators of Muv-Luv series to ensure the highest quality translation for this release.

Doesn't sound like they're just jacking the fan tl?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2015, 09:14:14 pm »

They're using the fan translation as a base and giving it touchups and stuff iirc.

BTW the kickstarter hit its goal sometime in the last hour or so
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2015, 02:20:52 am »

I mean they did also make the game in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16