Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: More intimate relationship to my dwarfs  (Read 9018 times)

hlavaczech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More intimate relationship to my dwarfs
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:14:50 am »

Hi,
I've been playing DF for some three years now, having built dozens of successful fortresses. Yet I keep getting unattached to my dwarfs: I do not remember their names and jobs; I don't care much about them (while they are generally happy) - they became something like "lemmings" - unnamed workforce.
I editted inits to limit the population to small numbers to get used to individual dwarfs. I limited the game speed to have enough time to watch them work, to query for their feelings. I used different colour materials to make them individual quarters, I named their professions and gave them nicknames - but as the game advances forward and more dwarves eventually come in, the individuality of the dwarfs gets washed down and they unevitable become anonymous mass of critters.

Do you have any suggestions how to get more attached to their individualities?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More intimate relationship to my dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:16:03 am »

After awhile I get attached to my children as they grow in my camps/cities. I like checking up in their lives.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:53:25 am »

Don't try to love all of them equally, nor even to love all of them.  It's just too big, it gets overwhelming.  Even in real life parents have favorites, and in the game you don't even have to pretend you're not playing favorites.

What I like to do is watch for interesting and/or unusual things, and give the dwarves involved nicknames that remind me of those things.  Then I check up on those dwarves more often, and see how they're doing, what they've been up to.  The rest of them are just a faceless workforce, but that's okay.  They can have identities if they distinguish themselves, if they can't be bothered to stand out I can't be bothered to notice them.

A few examples:
  • A miner caused and was caught in a cave-in, falling several z-levels and being crushed.  Her whole left side was shattered and her liver exploded.  The medical care she got in the filthy makeshift hospital was like clowns trying to put out a fire.  She failed to die of infection, made a full recovery and got right back to work, though she looked kind of funny with the stitches holding her liver together being on the outside of her body.  Toughie, as she was dubbed, lived a long productive life, got married and wound up being mother or grandmother to a significant percentage of the fortress population.
  • A dwarf called Udib turned up at my fortress.  She had unusually high skills for a migrant and one of her young claimed age, and it was clear she had seen action before, so I kept an eye on her, suspecting a vampire.  It took an uneasily long time, but eventually she started eating food and drinking booze.  Turns out she was a veteran of a war in the worldgen.  To celebrate her proving herself not a vampire, and to poke fun at her old war injury, I dubbed her Udib No-Teeth.
  • A fairly large ambush came to visit the fortress.  Civilians were rushed inside, and the small but highly skilled military rolled out.  Amid the chaos, a spearmaster and a goblin spearman singled each other out and had themselves a one-on-one duel.  The spearmaster had the upper hand, but apparently his superior equipment and training weren't enough to satisfy him, so he leaned in and bit his opponent's ear off.  From that day on, he was known as Urist McTyson.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

hlavaczech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:52:47 am »

lol :-) true dwarvish identities - but you might be right. When something significant happens to a dwarf, I usually watch him more closely and he is likely to get that "intimate" relationship I've been missing. It might be a good idea to focus on distinguished individuals for a beginning and see where it takes me...

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:14:31 am »

I have a very 'intimate' relationship with my resident vampire... She's a master cook, i'm just wondering if there's any hidden ingredients in that food
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 03:14:51 am »

You can find some neat stuff if you focus mainly on dwarves that distinguish themselves, and checking legends mode helps.  Like the indestructible miner's eldest daughter mooding her way into being a legendary weaponsmith, and then the miner turning out to be the eldest daughter of one of the first necromancers (also a woman).  Looks like a matriarchal line of badass trying to start up.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:27 am »

I make my dwarf fall of 6 z. Enough to kill the weaker, and also crush the normal.

I then pit/pond creatures to see who survive.

A vampire (with broken lung, and several parts injuried) grabbed a copper pick, and killed a giant stork, and 2 goblins (lasher and pike). An angry ghost also torn him a leg.

He was quite angry, and having no blood for the last 6 months I was sure he would kill half of my fortress, so i built an hospital near my pit, locked it with my 2 doctors, and then I release him. He was correctly treated and after a few weeks/months i was freed.

Now he has a bedroom for him next to the pit, and some of my undesired migrants are put next to him...instead of thrown in the pit...

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 08:13:53 am »

Every time I start up DF, I pick a dwarf at random and try to learn everything I can about them. I then check up on them every in-game season to see how they're doing. After a while, I usually know most of the dwarves in my fortress pretty well.

hlavaczech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:35:08 am »

King DZA: do you name them accordingly? do you add something into their quarters or anything else as a helper to remind you about them? Do you limit the number of the dwarves in your fortress or does this apply to some 140+ dwarves?

reechee3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 08:50:47 am »

I typically only get attached to useful legendary skilled dwarves or military and that is only after they do something to set them apart on the field of battle. At that point I will give them names from books or other characters that I enjoy and start focusing on them by giving them better rooms and tombs.

I can't be bothered to care when randomfisher#7 gets turned to paste by a troll. When Tyrion takes a bolt to the eye there will be an in game week of mourning.

Bleh it feels strange referencing a character from "A Song of Fire and Ice" as one of my favorites after season 2 of the hbo series...

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:08 am »

King DZA: do you name them accordingly? do you add something into their quarters or anything else as a helper to remind you about them? Do you limit the number of the dwarves in your fortress or does this apply to some 140+ dwarves?

I give custom profession names to legendaries, and nicknames to my starting seven, so it's already easy to tell them apart. I also sometimes reward exceptional dwarves with nicer furnishings/rooms. Other than that, the little tidbits of information I get from my investigating the less outstanding dwarves is normally enough for me to keep them in memory. Things like finding out they are in some way related to one of the fort's greatest heroes, that three of their five children were killed off in recent goblin sieges, or that they're one of fortresses' only two lye makers.

I've used this method while having over 200 dwarves. I'm ashamed to say that, with one of my older fortresses, it worked so well that when several dozen of them were slaughtered by a Forgotten Beastie, I couldn't hep but savescum to avert the massacre.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:12 am »

I almost always name my starting seven after friends of mine.  It serves two purposes: 1) it gives them a personality, even if it doesn't match what the actual dwarf is like, I can at least relate to them as more than an abstraction, 2) it gives me some dwarves to keep an eye on.  I typically won't nickname anyone else after the starting seven, but I'm very protective of that starting seven. 

Ok actually I guess it serves three purposes, the third one being that I usually find it highly amusing when one of my "friend dwarves" dies in a typical dwarfy fashion.  Then I can tell my friends they got bashed in the head and their brain crushed by a filthy trogg, fell into the well and drowned, ran in the opposite direction of the gate during an ambush, or something along those lines.

I will only really pay attention to individual dwarves when they have accomplished something fairly awesome, or brutal, or both.  For example, you can see in my sig the stories of Reg, the Hammerdwarf and Atir, the Legless Hero Marksdwarf.  Reg was a favorite of mine while that fort lived, and Atir, unfortunately, only became really "interesting" after (spoiler alert) his death.   Both of them distinguished themselves enough that they have forever been part of my DF pantheon.

Squad leaders I keep an eye on, since they are usually the most skilled of my military, and I like to see when they get their titles. 

Nobles tend to get a lot of attention, either positive or negative, depending on their demands.  My current Baron is doing quite a good job of keeping himself alive.  He's a Legendary cook and other than his obsession with coffins, he barely makes any demands at all. 

Then there's my current King and Queen, who are both goblins.  That was interesting enough that I even went into Legends mode to look them up and try to learn anything I could about them.

Also I have a Pump Operator, who used to be my Marksdwarf squad leader until he got both legs and arms shot and lost the ability to stand and grasp.  Now he scoots himself around the fort, eating, drinking, sleeping and dropping bars of soap in his endless quest to take a bath.  I keep thinking I should atomsmash him and put him out of his misery, but I just can't bring myself to squash someone with a dozen kills and a title just because he can't pick up soap.

So yeah, basically you have "interesting" dwarves, who get more attention from me than the rest of the unwashed masses.  "Interesting" just has to be your own opinion. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 11:44:12 am »

Do you have any suggestions how to get more attached to their individualities?

Name every single Dwarf individually. Learn everything you can find about them, and record their histories in a big arse census. Or at the very least, check their profiles when you set their job orders.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:31 am »

A vampire (with broken lung, and several parts injuried) grabbed a copper pick, and killed a giant stork, and 2 goblins (lasher and pike). An angry ghost also torn him a leg.

Now he has a bedroom for him next to the pit, and some of my undesired migrants are put next to him...instead of thrown in the pit...

That is the best use for a vampire I have heard to date. Hilarious and effective.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:41 pm »

I mostly get to know the heroes of the fort. For example, I had an axedwarf who just massacred minotaurs and gobbo sieges, so I got attached to him. I even gave him the forts only giant eagle.
Pages: [1] 2 3