Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's wrong in your fort?  (Read 5205 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong in your fort?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 11:59:13 am »

I built my troll-proof, building destroyer proof goblin grinder early on. Except the first siege to bring anything decent brought Ogres  :o Which are [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2] instead of 1, and weight so much I can't raise a bridge when they stand on it. And master goblins waltz through my weapon traps (loaded with only one weapon, typically an overpowered dagger) like nobody's business. Sending in my underequipped, untrained military to zergrush 2 of the fuckers was almost a fortress-ending mistake, luckily I avoided a tantrum spiral but just barely.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 12:13:19 pm »

The lack of invaders. Seriously, I've got a 60+ military with crappy equipment, and a single choke point that consists of a drawbridge, portcullis, and three 10-copper spike weapon traps. Bring it on.

Also, the fort's name, Bridgeswelter, is highly accurate considering the bridge is the only entry to the fort proper, and the fact that it's 90°F outside IRL.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 01:03:44 pm »

My fort has 30 children despite the baby_child_cap being set to 10. My forts population is around 120, and I've got an entire fourth of the population loafing around the well talking to each other and become social while being incapable of work.

Even though the cap was hit early in year two, every single migrant wave has been chock full of kids for no reason I can discern.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 01:04:25 pm »

That's actually caused by the rodent woman killing the FB. It's a known bug/feature that's been occuring since early 31.x versions. Because the other rodent woman didn't get the killing blow on the FB, she did not become friendly and attacked your hunters.

Totally missed that, thanks.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

daggerbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daggerbite
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:09:55 pm »

I've got a stuck siege*, which means the last year has been reasonably uneventful - although it means I can concentrate on the cavern levels and spend some quality time with the beasties down there.

*no idea how to fix it either!!

Also my dwarfs seem to enjoy biting. I'm not complaining - the fort is called Daggerbite after all - it's just a little unnverving how they keep doing it.
Welcome to Daggerbite, a lovely place where we murder and eat magpies.
Killing minotaurs, forgotten beasts and giant cave spiders is all in a days work

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 02:41:22 pm »

I just realized that I should've embarked with copper and cassiterite instead of just copper... the map has obsidian, iron, gold, platinum, fire clay, sand, and two necromancer towers, but this may just drive me insane.

daggerbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daggerbite
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 02:44:35 pm »

Also just discovered the reason why my doctor wasn't setting bones... was because I hadn't set him to on the labours.

That's my second fail of the death day (first was realising I had no tanning or leather workshop.. in a 6 yr old fort)

Edit - fail of the death? Interesting slip there
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:07:10 pm by daggerbite »
Welcome to Daggerbite, a lovely place where we murder and eat magpies.
Killing minotaurs, forgotten beasts and giant cave spiders is all in a days work

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 03:05:32 pm »

Damn, now I feel the need to make sure my Doc is set to perform all hospital labors, just to be sure. :)

For me, I need to get through this damn aquifer.  I'm a novice aquifer piercer, and this one is at least two layers deep.  This of course means that all I had available for the elves was wooden crafts.  Luckily my one migrant hunter has been taking down giant magpies and giant swallows, and my farm is making at least some plump helmets, so I'm not going to starve/dehydrate.

I just wish the caravans weren't my only source of stone and metal at the moment.  Four bronze spears are probably not going to be enough when the undead finally find me.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 03:16:13 pm »

So, I had my overground fort grow to some 140 dorfs, but after some mismanagement with giant animals, a vampire and dorfs dying of dehydration in the hospital a tantrum spiral brought it down to some 30, consisting mostly of recent immigrants. After creating a MASSIVE burial ground, taking care of all the crazies, my fort's recovering and after a couple migrant waves is back up to some 80 or so.

The problem is that some of my dorfs, including the chained vampire, have inexplicably lost limbs without ever being in combat. Also, most of the fort is covered in blood, because dorfs don't clean things unless they're below the surface.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 04:02:09 pm »

my first invasion is going to be a dragon  :O thx to a bug the game crashed and im getting another chance, time to lock my self in early!
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 04:09:41 pm »

Migrants keep turning up faster than I can furnish bedrooms for them, and the mod I was using this fort to test is horribly bugged.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

Far, far, far, far too many immigrants.
I have housing for ~30, a barracks for ten more, eight hospital beds, and 190 dwarves. They're showing up in 30+ waves every season. So far they're all content or better (except for the herbalist that went nuts, don't know wtf his problem was), so work continues on figuring out what the hell is wrong with my minecart shotgun system.
The other issue I have is no sand, no ore.

I did find some of that blue stuff thanks to an odd cavein, I might see if I can chase down some more.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 01:20:09 am »

Well, I was digging out a new area to serve as my access to the magma sea, when I forgot to seal up a corner somewhere.  Now a forgotten beast is living in my new newly constructed area, and all my dwarves are stuck living in their old musty fortress with the outdated furniture.

(Fortunately, my masons were not too busy to get a wall up in the connecting tunnel before the FB wandered into the main fort.)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 01:46:56 am »

5 year fort worth 500,000 dwarfbucks, 150 population, zero forgotten beasts, zero sieges, zero ambushes, zero titans. I abandoned out of sheer boredom. We had maybe five thieves.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 12:10:43 pm »

5 year fort worth 500,000 dwarfbucks, 150 population, zero forgotten beasts, zero sieges, zero ambushes, zero titans. I abandoned out of sheer boredom. We had maybe five thieves.
So, what you are saying is you had zero reason to stay in that fort? :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3