Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weird Moments you had.  (Read 8224 times)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Moments you had.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:07 am »

I'm currently enduring a goblin siege. They've flung themselves into my spinning disc traps, and some of them dodged and fell into my 20-z-deep pit. Most of the fallers survived the drop, but now they're apparently too afraid to simply walk (or crawl, there's a few broken legs in there) out the passageway I have ready for them. They're just wandering around in the pit, not doing much at all! What kind of attacks are we getting these days anyway?

Has the squad leader been caught in a cage trap?  Goblins tend to mill about aimlessly when that happens.

At least one of them is a Macelord, and besides, don't they tend to try to gather around the caged leader? Either way, I'm just pissed about the fact that they're not dead after falling what has to be at least 50 metres straight down.

Just to add to the weirdness, a moody dwarf just waltzed right in there, picked up a beak dog corpse, and waltzed back out again. He must be making an interesting crossbow at that bowyers shop.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »

Okay, I was doing some work regarding the the new migrant rooms, (Which I call the green rooms cause its all made of olivine ), When I notice A few Interupted by goblin swordsmem. Now, normally You might expect i'dbe worried, but As I had just ordered the execution of a few of them, I was expecting it. However, at that moment I noticed the red "C" of combat flashing, And I inspected the reports, fearing death. I see 2 combat report,s one for a fishery worker, and one for a hammerman. I zoom to the place where the hammer man was, but It wasjust the bottom of my pit. At that moment, I decide to chack out the cancellations, but When I get there, I see Only a dwarf dragging a swordsmen too the gladiator pit. Now Truly confused, I look over at the fish dissecter I saw earlier.

I see he had been injured badly, but, He had been injured by a balllista! I check and, sure enough, he was cripppled in front of my balllista, which, appearantly, I forgot to turn off. And, my first thought regarding the whole incident was, "at least the arrow is still good". Urist mcworker is fine, by the way.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 01:31:09 am »

I had a thriving porcelain industry with a seaside view until a school of undead bluefin tuna flopped up out of the water and beat everyone to death with their own flopping bodies.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 02:24:59 am »

I had a thriving porcelain industry with a seaside view until a school of undead bluefin tuna flopped up out of the water and beat everyone to death with their own flopping bodies.
This right here is why I love this game.
くコ:彡

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 07:04:15 am »

Embarked on a temperate biome, mostly ocean. They embarked on the frozen ocean, and 5 drowned when it instantly thawed.
Somehow managed to last until migrants (my farmer was living with a no legs after my miner went bezerk on him) and they arrived in the middle of a group of badgers. Who slaughtered about 10 of them. The rest ran in the right direction to my fort, where a cat, neither muscular nor gigantic, proceeded to kill all 8 badgers, who all had titles.

The fort still lives on, just. It is covered in masterwork engravings of badgers, and dwarves in fetal positions.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 09:03:41 am »

These last two are indeed pretty awesome.

Cholek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 11:23:01 am »

I made platform above lava and builded some forges. On this platform appeared spider that was making webs so I ordered my dwarfs to bring cat. After few minutes one of my dwarf brought cat, walked to ege of platform and threw cat to lava. That was my last cat...

EpsilonSigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:21 pm »

In a fortress I no longer have for reasons I shall reveal in this post, a forgotten beast attacked me. I assigned my entire military to kill the beastie because they're stupidly difficult to kill without elite warriors, and the best I had was adequate after goblins killed my higher skill axedwarves.

Anyway, I assigned the military to kill the beast, and they set to work hacking at it in a mineshaft. Meanwhile, about 5 kobolds came and attempted to steal my crafts pile, so I set a new squad of peasants on them in panic. One peasant was decapitated, but the kobolds died. Then, apparently by pushing dwarves to death, the forgotten beast proceeded to wipe out the rest of the fortress except 1 until it was killed by a badger.
The remaining guy went insane and died in his bedroom a season later.

It's moments like these that make this game worth playing :)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 01:21:53 pm »

The rest ran in the right direction to my fort

This is truly the weirdest thing I have ever heard happening in DF.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:02 pm »

From this thread we can so far deduce:

Badger related fortress death is not as unusual as previously thought.

Dwarven intelligence is as unusual as previously thought.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 03:03:02 pm »

That was my last cat...

This is indeed weird, having a 'last cat'. Something must have been gone utterly wrong in that fortress torture dungeon.

But yeah, strange moments: Roofed my Trade Depot and left a hole in, designated a dump area and directly dumped all the caged prisoner's stuff into the trade depot. Result: 3 dead dwarfes that were running through the trade depot. For some reason they went through, up the roof, dumped, and went back the same way. Next time I need to think about pathing a bit more. And, the casualties were not caused by dumped clothing or weapons, but by dumped boulders that were designated for dumping a long long time ago, but since I never assigned an area before ... well. That's when history does catch you ice cold, with perfect timing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:06:20 pm by terko »
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 04:52:09 pm »

An entire group of sneaking Kobolds disappeared on my map. They never even revealed themselves. They just... Disappeared.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 11:31:50 pm »

The moment that sold me on this game:

On my 2nd fort (when I had climbed all of 11 inches up DF's learning cliff), a family of badgers actually got inside my little tunnel and were running around, causing a ruckus. I wasn't worried, because they we're actually doing any damage, just interrupting everybody. Still, it wasn't a good thing, so I was happy when a Hunter took it upon himself to shoot them. He managed to kill one, and a while later, I noticed somebody picking up the corpse & taking it outside. On the tile where the badger died, though, there was a wierd little squiggle . . . "What's that?" I thought. So I hit 'k' to look at it . . .

Vomit

And I was won over. Any game that actually calculates moods like, "Oh, man, why do *I* have to be the one who has to move this disgusting, half-rotten badger corpse? This is SO gross, I think . . . I . . . *blleaarrrghh*" . . . that's almost more impressive than I can describe.

(Of course, I know NOW that it was actually the *badger's* vomit from being shot in the gut, but I still like my first interpretation. And interpretation is 90% of what makes DF so immersive.)
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 08:23:03 am »

The moment that sold me on this game:

On my 2nd fort (when I had climbed all of 11 inches up DF's learning cliff), a family of badgers actually got inside my little tunnel and were running around, causing a ruckus. I wasn't worried, because they we're actually doing any damage, just interrupting everybody. Still, it wasn't a good thing, so I was happy when a Hunter took it upon himself to shoot them. He managed to kill one, and a while later, I noticed somebody picking up the corpse & taking it outside. On the tile where the badger died, though, there was a wierd little squiggle . . . "What's that?" I thought. So I hit 'k' to look at it . . .

Vomit

And I was won over. Any game that actually calculates moods like, "Oh, man, why do *I* have to be the one who has to move this disgusting, half-rotten badger corpse? This is SO gross, I think . . . I . . . *blleaarrrghh*" . . . that's almost more impressive than I can describe.

(Of course, I know NOW that it was actually the *badger's* vomit from being shot in the gut, but I still like my first interpretation. And interpretation is 90% of what makes DF so immersive.)

Miasma should cause nausea in dwarves with weak disease resistance. We shall write this on a cat and throw it into a volcano, this is how we make suggestions to toady.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:44 am »

A cat, huh? Better use the Baron; I'm not sure the cat is big enough to hold all those suggestions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3