Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) New Topic, New Mod  (Read 3092 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) New Topic, New Mod
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:18 pm »

First Alpha Release!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6578

v0.1
-Level up your dwarfs skills using the souls of your vanquished enemies
-Learn spells from the souls of the megabeasts
-Craft special items out of the materials of the fallen fantasy creatures. (Behemoth hide shield, Hydra head helm, etc...)
-Dwarf ethic changes made to better handle the butchering of everything.

A couple of notes:
-Right now many of the special items you get from killing the various fantastical beasts are quite bland. This is mainly because there isn't a whole lot we can do with item creation right now. Hopefully we will be able to add interactions and syndromes directly to items in the future.

-The skills that can be improved are Strength, Toughness, Agility, Endurance, Recuperation, Focus, Willpower, Creativity, Intuition, Patience, and Empathy

-There are currently only five spells that can be learned. This will be greatly expanded on in the future

-Golem manufacturing is currently not set up. You can order lesser golems from your home civ, and normal and greater golems can be captured and trained in the world.

-Several items that are dropped by fantastical creatures currently have no use. These will be a large component of the alchemy ark of this mod.

Previous Post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Planned Additions:
-More fantasy creatures!
-More mundane creatures!
-Expanded alchemy system
-More special items and uses for fantasy materials
-Combination of fantasy materials to yield enhanced effects

As always I am accepting any ideas for fantasy creatures (right now I'm not sure what to do with the vast number of underground fantasy creatures in vanilla, I may just add souls to them and not give them anything special to start with), or any other ideas.

Acknowledgements:
-Meph for some of his great fantasy creatures and graphics (Masterwork Mod)
-Narhril for some of her great fantasy creatures and graphics (Legends of Forlorn Realms Mod)
-Tomitapo for his work on the five types of skin and leather and 3 types of wood (Deon's Old Genesis Mod)
-Various tileset creatures for the wonderful graphics (Phoebus' Graphics Set)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:46:03 pm by Roses »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.0) New Topic, New Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:09 pm »

Fallen dwarves.

Dwarves found in the caverns, they are twisted and deformed, the size of a human and claws of sheer-evil. They will seek out your dwarves and murder them.

There scratch passes the curse to the other dwarf.

-There, I gave a suggestion.-
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:05:56 am »

Ha! A Dark Souls like upgrade system. Sheer awesome.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:15:00 am »

Ha! A Dark Souls like upgrade system. Sheer awesome.

Yep, think Dark Souls upgrades + Monster Hunter-esque crafting

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:01 am »

I do know your older mods, and wanted to add the soul system in, but never found the time.It was rather difficult  with my 850+ creatures and the standardized materials. I use a very basic system like yours, but only for special high-end invader races and megabeasts. See the Creature Research Lab.

Just wanted to say that I really like the idea and would be glad if I could be of any assistance, and would like to ask permission to build it as an optional feature into my mod, after both you are finished with it, and I am  back in  germany.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:34:38 am »

Frost/Stone/Fire/Cloud Giants. Each with appropriate powers (Fire ones are realy hot, Clouds are fleshy but shoot lightningbolts, ect). Presumably, it would replace the default Giant creature.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:29:55 pm »

Frost/Stone/Fire/Cloud Giants. Each with appropriate powers (Fire ones are realy hot, Clouds are fleshy but shoot lightningbolts, ect). Presumably, it would replace the default Giant creature.

Already planned.

I do know your older mods, and wanted to add the soul system in, but never found the time.It was rather difficult  with my 850+ creatures and the standardized materials. I use a very basic system like yours, but only for special high-end invader races and megabeasts. See the Creature Research Lab.

Just wanted to say that I really like the idea and would be glad if I could be of any assistance, and would like to ask permission to build it as an optional feature into my mod, after both you are finished with it, and I am  back in  germany.

Of course Meph, I actually have a python script that reads in all the creatures in the raws and adds the necessary tags to them so they drop souls. Makes it a lot easier when dealing with large amounts of creatures.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:47:51 pm »

Fey Wanderer/Noble/Prince/Lord's. Powerful elf-like creatures that, while being the size of a human, are increasingly skilled in combat and have chitin to protect themselves. Harvesting one of there essances would yeld you a fey heart, which can be forged into a lump of Cold Iron, which is somewhat better than normal iron but yelds loads of the substance in a single heart. The prince and the Lord would be semimegabeasts/megabeasts accordingly.

Also, this mod has fiends that might interest you. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.msg3066841;topicseen#msg3066841
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:47:52 pm »

Thanks Pokon, I'll check it out.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:17:59 am »

Sorry for the lack of an update. It seems every time I try and mod something in DF I get waylayed by jackassary.

I should have a basic version up tonight with about 40 some fantasy creatures, all with unique drops, and the basic soul system for upgrading things like strength/toughness/agility etc... I also have the basic workings of a spell center, where you can spend the souls of megabeasts to teach your dwarves devastating spells, but I am not sure it will be working in this first release.

My question for anyone that is interested in this mod, is how I should go about handling civs. Right now I have it set up so that you simply delete all vanilla creature files and then place mine in their place, but I know a lot of people use other mods for changes to dwarves and other entity creatures, and not all the other mods have things separated from the distinctly from the vanilla raws. Should I try and accommodate everyone and make separate releases for some of the major mods on this forum, or should I just leave a detailed walk-through of how to combine this with your favorite mod?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:53:54 am »

If you want to come up with a more reliable means of passing on a bonus than the evaporating stone trick, you can use the soul essences to brew potions that the dwarves can drink instead.  That way 1 essence -> 1 enhanced dwarf, without having to rely on luck and without potential for crowding-abuse.  (It could be a bit trickier to make sure the dwarf you want gets the essence you want, but you can do that with burrows and stockpiles)

Alternatively, you could just make them edible.  Soul-eating dwarves FTW!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 03:11:20 am »

That is a possibility. But then you would have to micro manage to the crap out of who gets to drink what. For now I am going to stick with the boiling stones trick, with the hope that Toady will implement a way for reactions to cause syndromes directly. (Although it wouldn't be hard to change it at all if you would prefer the drink method, just have to change the reactions).

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) New Topic, New Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 03:26:44 am »

This is the first release of this mod. It is still very much in the Alpha stage, so I would suggest holding off on making any long term forts as there is still a lot I want to add.

The main reason for me releasing it at this stage is for the members of the community to see the direction I am going with it.

v0.1
-Level up your dwarfs skills using the souls of your vanquished enemies
-Learn spells from the souls of the megabeasts
-Craft special items out of the materials of the fallen fantasy creatures. (Behemoth hide shield, Hydra head helm, etc...)
-Dwarf ethic changes made to better handle the butchering of everything.

A couple of notes:
-Right now many of the special items you get from killing the various fantastical beasts are quite bland. This is mainly because there isn't a whole lot we can do with item creation right now. Hopefully we will be able to add interactions and syndromes directly to items in the future.

-The skills that can be improved are Strength, Toughness, Agility, Endurance, Recuperation, Focus, Willpower, Creativity, Intuition, Patience, and Empathy

-There are currently only five spells that can be learned. This will be greatly expanded on in the future

-Golem manufacturing is currently not set up. You can order lesser golems from your home civ, and normal and greater golems can be captured and trained in the world.

-Several items that are dropped by fantastical creatures currently have no use. These will be a large component of the alchemy ark of this mod.

Edit: Added acknowledgements section to first post.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:46:32 pm by Roses »

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 10:33:34 am »

Woah looks great will try it out now here is a small contribution

Rhaox
Large flightless bird with a very sharp beak that does not open, but is used to suck the blood of its prey (<--these will work like spears) pretty crappy idea but Why not  :P
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »

Any progress on this ? :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2 3