Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) New Topic, New Mod  (Read 3088 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Deluxe (v 0.1) New Topic, New Mod
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »

Sorry Meph, it seems every time I start to get back into modding I get walayed by jackassary.

As it stands what I have currently is souls added to all vanilla creatures and fantasy creatures, along with special item drops from about 42 of the fantasy creatures, however most of them are unusable at the moment (only about 12 have a use right now). So all I need to do is start adding in special reactions and such.

I was testing a fort out and it seems like the boiling stone trick really only works about half the time, which is a real drag. I am thinking about changing it to a brewed drink reaction, but that gives you less control over who 'levels up'. However it would allow golem transformations more reliably.

Also, I have been using the Raw Explorer heavily and have written small scripts that add the necessary tags for souls to any selected creatures. Which makes adding new creatures to the system rather simple.

My next major goal is to add in a more complete alchemy system, but I am unsure if I want to start one from scratch when there are already some great ones floating around (MW, LFR, Genesis, and CF come to mind)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 05:57:52 pm »

CivForge has probably the best, if you want to have a look at more realistic one. Never tried the LFR one,and mine will be redone shortly anyway.

I would love to have special ebo items and special drops from all kinds of critters, so people actually go hunting/cavern hunting a lot more. I am already doing this to my invaders, to reward people that fight and punish those that lock themselves in ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 06:40:49 pm »

Yeah my goal is to have every non-mundane creature have a special drop. Even if they are just something simple. Should make each fortress feel different if they can't all get the same stuff (based on which creatures attack). I'm also thinking about adding in a couple other civs (like a hunter based civ which collects certain creatures drops, or a mage based civ that can trade certain creatures essences and souls) so you aren't completely limited by the creatures around you.

I do agree CF is probably the most realistic and maybe the most expansive, but I also have to consider not trying to make things too complex. I personally love all the complexness that comes with certain mods, but it's not for everyone.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 08:14:39 pm »

Do you mean simple things that you can also produce normally, or special drops ?

Example:
Kill dragon, drops 10 dragon-tooth "menacing spikes" Awesome, but you can just make menacing spikes anyway.
Kill dragon, drops special blood, can be made into dragonborne-drink, gives guy fire-immunity.

The first one I plan for most domesic pets and animals, and the later one for cavern monsters and more fantastic critters, also megabeasts/demons. The first one will be easy to do, but the second needs a custom reaction for each creature-drop and possibly at least one custom workshop for it to run.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »

The second one, well actually a mix of the two.

For example:
Kill a dragon, get a dragons heart that you can use to make a dwarf fire immune, or combine with steel to make dragon steel.
Kill a yeti, get some yeti fur that you can make into a yeti cloak. For now the yeti cloak is just a special type of cloak, but in the future if we are ever able to give abilities to items it would protect against cold damage, or give increased strength or something.

So several of the fantasy creature drops let you craft special versions of common items (mostly for planning ahead purposes).

Currently every custom creature drop has a special reaction to go along with it. i figured it would be easiest to set up the ground work now, and then later I won't have to go mucking around in the creatures raws, I can just change the reactions. (Also if someone else wanted to change what the drops do, they can just modify the reactions.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 08:47:31 pm »

Awesome. I would advice to stick to custom materials, not custom items, because they will be "foreign" and more difficult to equip for the player.... more micromanagement is what I am getting at.

Will you use itemcorpse or ebo-items ? Massive difference, one requires only to kill the beast, the other to drag it to the butcher. First one is easy to implement, but they leave no actual corpse, only the piece you want left. I personally havent used the ebo-items yet, so no experience, but I image that it is more work for the player.

I thought I will do the ebo-item for animals (since they are killed by hunters mostly) and pets (they are butchered anyway) and use item-corpse for fantastic creatures. No bones/leather/meat from them is the drawback, but then again it reduces clutter and makes producing food harder, which is good in my eyes.

Adding fur and/or several pieces of leather as ebo-items is another idea...

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:38 pm »

For the most part they are all ebo's as I don't want to get rid of people being able to have dragon leather armor and such.

I didn't think about the 'foreign' thing. I will have to think about how I want to handle that.

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 03:04:01 am »

Well you can also make itemcorpse as a kind of tool which has a special reaction making leather and some tooths and such. But it is a bit cumbersome. Ebo as i hear works just fine. Also drinks are really hard to implement right now. Maybe just make not 1 boiling stone but say 5 of them - this should increase a chance of success. Also a dwarf should stay at palce (might make him into burrow or military squad and station).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 10:28:47 am »

Acually drinks are not that hard if you know how to work it:
take empty vial + ingredients
sealed "potion" vial

take the sealed vial to a 1x1 workshop with a empty barrel/food container into a room that has a door that can be locked

Use manager to only allow the drinker to use it. Once the drinker takes the sealed vial and barrel lock room
drinker uses up the sealed vial to put a [1] potion drink in the barrel/foodcontainer
wait
once drank = success.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 11:50:27 am »

I think that is what he meant with complicated... the micromanagement for the player is a lot higher.

Maybe just make not 1 boiling stone but say 5 of them -
That will crash the game. Dont ask me why, but more then 3 boiling objects always crashed my game while testing, otherwise my 1000 essence residue would just boil away ;)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 11:52:26 am »

@Tierre
Several things that don't make since to leave bodies I have changed to itemcorpses, but I think changing everything to an itemcorpse would be a bit much. Although you could then get rid of the butchers shop all together that way. It might be an interesting way to go about it, but I think it would add way more reactions than I would want to. For now I am happy with the way EBO works.

@Hugo
I know there are work arounds like this, but I was hoping for a simple one step process. With the success rate of boiling stones being so low though I think I might have to change to this method.

@Meph
Interesting that more than 3 would crash the game. I will have to experiment.

Questions:
-Does anyone know if buffs to strength and such stack?
-Is there any token for EBO that you can guarantee will work? Right now I am using the brain as almost everything has one, but some of the creatures don't and so you get errors, nothing fatal, it just means creatures without brains won't have souls... (For reference I mean [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_TOKEN:BRAIN], I tried using BY_TYPE and BY_CATEGORY as well, but it didn't work)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 11:56:06 am »

I think that is what he meant with complicated... the micromanagement for the player is a lot higher.

Maybe just make not 1 boiling stone but say 5 of them -
That will crash the game. Dont ask me why, but more then 3 boiling objects always crashed my game while testing, otherwise my 1000 essence residue would just boil away ;)

I have a reaction that makes 5 boiling stones... Never crashes for me. Must be issue with Hardware? Good to know for Regen, don't want any of my players have unexpected crashes.

And sometimes you have to get complicated. Plus if a player really wants to name and baby a dwarf, then maybe they are already into micromanagment?

@ Roses
Buffs I believe stack (Have to get Putnam in here)
Well it depends for that EBO
BY_TYPE:THOUGHT for brains
BY_TOKEN (what you have there)
BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN should work as well.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 12:03:57 pm »

@Hugo
Ah, THOUGHT! I knew I was missing something.

And you are right about getting complicated. I will try making more stones in the reaction and see what the probabilities are, if they are still to low I will change to the drink system and wait for toady to add interactions directly into reactions.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 02:31:55 pm »

Well I have been ridiculously busy with summer deadlines ending, but now that my last big one is this Wednesday I have decided to get back into DF modding.

My first course of action is to finish up the system I set up and add in the rest of the creatures I had originally planned.

Then I want to add some sort of elemental weakness to creatures. My plan is to make materials like Fire Steel, Ice Steel, Storm Steel, etc...  (hopefully with more creative names). And then give every creature a weakness or resistance to those materials. So a fire dragon would be resistant to Fire Steel, but weak to Ice Steel. Even mundane creatures, like wolves would be more resistant to ice steel and weaker to fire steel. This way I can add faux elemental weapons.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »

Maybe base this on creature type. Mammal, Bird, Reptile etc. Although I dont see many players custom-equipping their squads for this. Invaders, when you have 100 units of the same type, yes, but for wildlife this seem like to much work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3