Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which version to start with?H  (Read 1558 times)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Which version to start with?H
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 11:20:50 am »

Yes, atm .34.10 is the latest supported by therapist.

The 34.11 layout is known but wasn't in the auto-updater last night.  And someone even bundled DF with the 34.11 layout it seems.

Or you can use the rather nice "Splintermind-attributes" Dwarf Therapist clone, which works with v0.34.11 and has all sorts of new features, such as suggesting which roles dwarves would be good at and the like.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »

If you are completely new to DF I would recommend v31.25 (the last vesion before major release 34.01).
There is less thing to worry about (necromancers, vampires, clothes, children migrants) but you can still learn the basics (farming-cooking, metal-stone-wood crafting, trade, and FUN :P). 31.25 was available for a long time without updates so you can find several tutorials (even video tutorials on youtube).

When switching to latest 34.11 you just need to learn "some" new stuff but you should be able to make your fort survive even without them (for some time anyway). Big changes in newer version are mining ore drop, hauling system and clothing (with happy/sad thoughts) and also more FUN elements.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »

Or you can use the rather nice "Splintermind-attributes" Dwarf Therapist clone, which works with v0.34.11 and has all sorts of new features, such as suggesting which roles dwarves would be good at and the like.
[/quote]

I love this version of therapist and am very taken wi the new features in v13. Minor point: I use norton antivirus and have to tell it to trust the exe manually before using DT.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 03:14:02 pm »

Therapist is quite hard to be without, but I've never used dfhack and I've been playing for a few years now. Dfhack is just for lazy people. :P

Yes, atm .34.10 is the latest supported by therapist.

The current Lazy Newb pack is 34.11 and includes Therapist.

DFHack/Stonesense are still stuck on 34.10 until they finish mapping out the memory stuff (I think that's the reason for the delay).

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »

You guys are too nice. Should give the guy a link to the 2D version so he can acquire a proper respect for elephants and bug-induced fortress death.

Oh, the loveliness of accidentally triggering a wave cascade for the first time...
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 09:37:41 am »

DFHack/Stonesense are still stuck on 34.10 until they finish mapping out the memory stuff (I think that's the reason for the delay).

It's true, but it can be updated simply replacing symbol.xml with the one available there.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.
Pages: 1 [2]