Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which version to start with?H  (Read 1559 times)

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which version to start with?H
« on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:49 am »

Hi, I'm a complete noobie on DF, and I see there are quite a few versions of DF.  I've read the latest one is unstable.  Which is the latest stable version available?  Also, while I was following the noobie tutorial, when I digged the stairs down 3 levels, on one of the levels the up-down stairs where marked with red crosses and dwarfs wouldnt go down and dig up the space I designated on the bottom level.  I tried building the stairs with b menu, and they were built, but no dwarves went down.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Which version to start with?H
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:57 am »

Where did you read that the latest one is unstable?
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:22:27 am »

The crosses are the usual representation of digged out up/down-stairs (at least with tiles). The stairs image is used only for constructed or one-way-stairs iirc.

If you construct stairs on top of digged-out stairs, you will block access.

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:57:54 am »

Was using the mayday tileset that came in the tutorial, and the normal crosses are a light brown color, while the ones im refering to are red, and dwarves wont go down to dig what I designated (the wall around the red crosses is silty clay wall)

I think I read it on the wiki, that the latest version was unstable and that it was better to download a previous one

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:16:27 am »

After the stairs are ready the color of the cross comes from whatever the base color of the stone is.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:19:31 am by Laurin »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:20:19 am »

I think 34.11 is pretty good and has all the problems that got in with the minecart update pretty much sorted. The minecarts, wheelbarrows and item gathering changes can make some things a little complicated, 34.07 is I think the last version before minecarts. 

Maybe the instability is in combination with the tileset?

I'm nt familiar with the tileset, but stairs are usually the color of whatever material they were made of. So if they are in red clay, they'll look red, if they are made in/from microcline you'll get a bright blue that hurts the eyes and orthoclase would make it yellow etc.

Check the stairs from top to bottom to see if maybe you made a mistake, that is the most common issue. Or the miner is eating, then drinking, then sleeping and then on break. Lazy miners...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:41:02 am »

That's a lie, or probably hold-over from the previous versions. Right now, .34.11 is the latest, and probably will be until the next major release, and it stable as can be.

As for your problem with stairs, stairs usually >,< or X, and they take on the color of the rock you carved it from (i.e., making stairs in bauxite makes red stairs, etc.) Stairs are also a one way deal, that is to say, you're actually just making half a stair. If you make a stair on one tile, make sure to make another one directly above or below it.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:50:52 am »

34.11 is pretty stable.  If you were used to the May Green tileset, try the Phoebus tileset in the Lazy Newb Pack.

The only thing that I'm missing at the moment is stonesense / overseer / dfhack which works with 34.11, but you can survive without them while you get used to the new stockpile/hauling and other new features.

(I'd still love to see a summer of bug fixing...)

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:28 am »

Yah, I have to second that .34.07 is pretty stable. And, that it's probably the last update before the next large release - the devlog seems to make that pretty clear. I'd recommend starting with the .11, and then just updating the utilities when they get upgraded.

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 08:23:16 am »

The current latest version, .34.11, is just as stable as any of the last few versions. I don't see any real reason as to why you would download an older version. The new stuff brought in lately (wheelbarrows, minecarts...) you can simply ignore, you don't *need* to know how to use them to play, they are not essential at all.

Bugs are present in all versions, don't worry about that. Newer versions will, if anything, have less more critical bugs.

This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:36 am »

You should preferably not start with a version for which dfhack and in particular dwarftherapist are not available (and probably a nice tileset but that's optional). Being quite new myself, I'm not absolutely sure at the moment, but I think that 34.10 is the latest version fulfilling these conditions.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:36 am »

Yea, consider getting the latest version of the lazy noob pack.

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 09:05:17 am »

Therapist is quite hard to be without, but I've never used dfhack and I've been playing for a few years now. Dfhack is just for lazy people. :P

Yes, atm .34.10 is the latest supported by therapist.
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:46 am »

dfhack is also for people who want to fix some bugs as they appear instead of waiting for a bugfix from toady and/or add some features that were removed from previous versions, but that's another discussion
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 09:16:28 am »

Yes, atm .34.10 is the latest supported by therapist.
The 34.11 layout is known but wasn't in the auto-updater last night.  And someone even bundled DF with the 34.11 layout it seems.
Pages: [1] 2