Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Kickstarter: CLANG  (Read 9511 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter: CLANG
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 08:30:47 pm »

IIRC they're called the Seattle Knights or something like that in the credits, so I'd wager that they're probably located in Washington state. Ditto for GabeN presence. Just a hunch really :P

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 10:11:23 pm »

Yeah, that's what worries me as well. A totally niche game and you have to fork over a hundred bucks for a special controller that's going to be useless for anything else? I'm not sure how successful that's going to be. Then again, flight sims fans are willing to buy expensive gadgets for their games and the Kickstarter seems to be going along nicely, so who knows.
TrackIR and the ARMA games jump to mind also. Admittedly they have their flight sim parts.

I made my TrackIR headset and receiver for about $5 and use FreeTrack with it. Just like with joysticks, pedals, and TrackIR before it, someone will make a homebrew/competitively priced alternative for this too.

Hopefully they adopt a revenue model that doesn't rely on bringing in profit from their first-party peripherals; that would encourage them to work with the community and speed up the process of bringing reasonably-priced peripheral alternatives to gamers.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 10:33:54 pm »

Swords are neat. And the trailer is rather awesome. Doubt it'd work on my computer though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:48 am »

On the one hand, Neal Stephenson. On the other hand, $100+ vidjagaem. I am absolutely torn.

It's pretty safe to say they'll reach 500k, but do I want to jump on this bandwagon? Neal's a pretty smart guy, but motion controls are pretty tricky business and even professionals can screw it up. Risky proposal, but I hope it becomes something awesome.

I just hope there's an unlockable book weapon. I swear my hardcover copy of REAMDE could kill a man.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 07:29:51 am »

Yes. 100 times yes...
Now excuse me while I rob a bank to get money for these Kickstarters I want to back...
That or start a Kickstarter to get funds for Kickstarter... I shall call it... Funding the Funds... DON'T STEAL MY IDEA!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 06:11:18 pm »

Holy shit. Neil Stephenson + Video game? SHUT UP AND TAKE MAH MONEH! Shit, this looks fantastic.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 01:30:44 pm »

I decided to back this a while back, they only have a week to go and they're still $130,000 or so short :X

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 05:34:54 pm »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 09:48:37 am »

Clang met it's kickstarter goal.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 11:22:11 am »

Clang met it's kickstarter goal.

Good for them.  I didn't donate to that one, but I'm still interested to see how it turns out.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 11:56:21 am »

As someone with a degree in fight coordinating, I can say that a hand held controller is unable to emulate the mechanics of sword fighting.  There are two main reasons:

1.  When fencing, when your strike is parried, your arm is either moved or stopped.   With a controller your arm swings freely through.  How and where your arm is halted determines what your next move would be.

2.  The lack of weapon weight removes the inertia of your weapon.  A bastard sword moves the same as a foil.  This can be accounted for with ingame inertia, but inevitably the game will end up lagging behind the player in their movements, as you can't feel the weapons response.  The player will probably just become frustrated with the sluggish feel of the response time.

That said, congrats on these guys for making a cool half mill.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »

As someone with a degree in fight coordinating, I can say that a hand held controller is unable to emulate the mechanics of sword fighting.  There are two main reasons:

1.  When fencing, when your strike is parried, your arm is either moved or stopped.   With a controller your arm swings freely through.  How and where your arm is halted determines what your next move would be.

2.  The lack of weapon weight removes the inertia of your weapon.  A bastard sword moves the same as a foil.  This can be accounted for with ingame inertia, but inevitably the game will end up lagging behind the player in their movements, as you can't feel the weapons response.  The player will probably just become frustrated with the sluggish feel of the response time.

That said, congrats on these guys for making a cool half mill.

I was wary about this game for these same reasons, but after watching their technical videos (read: not the silly mass-market one) I've gotta say they've done their homework. Their solution is in the videos and commentary on this page, with the short version that Clang is supposed to be something of a "thinking man's" swordfighting game, and if you fail to anticipate your opponents moves and get out of position you're already dead anyway. People who are playing the game skillfully will not be over-committing and will instead be ready to flow from movement to movement in accordance with their avatar.

Quote from: update
When we come at this from an engineering mindset, it’s natural to get hung up on the fully general problem of what happens when a big swing slams into a strong block. And that is a difficult problem to solve, when you put it that way. But people who play CLANG are going to be inhabiting the characters of trained swordfighters, who don’t fight that way--instead they are thinking a couple of moves ahead, adapting to what the adversary is doing, getting ready to flow around it into the next move.

So the gameplay will be less about beating down your opponents guard and more about executing your techniques faster and more accurately than your opponent. They don't talk much about how to handle inertia and the "feel" of different swords, but they're only launching with the one sword anyway, so it's presumably in the "worry about this when we have more talent/resources" bin.

What I'm waiting to see is whether their motion controller lives up to the hype, and whether it turns out to be an enjoyable experience- I'm too cheap to shell out $100+game for a duelling game few are playing. Hopefully somebody in this thread already donated for a copy of the game and can give ground zero feedback when they release :P

Praecordia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 02:40:05 pm »

It's funny that they compare to Shooters and then design a game that requires a special controller. Here's the thing: shooters aren't really played with gun accessories. Like, ever - lightgun gallery shooters/on-rails aren't really even in the same genre and when they do release with peripherals tend to not get big widespread purchase. They should try to make a mouse-playable version and have the custom controller as a power-goal for later in development. If Die by the Sword could do it then surely they can.

That said I found Stephenson pretty charming in that video and it was pretty well put together so I put in $5.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2012, 04:29:40 pm »

I guess we'll have to gut the controller and strap its electronics to one of these.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 10:21:23 am »

Sorry for the necro, but I figured this is the best place to put this.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/20/thud-development-of-neal-stephensons-clang-halted/#more-169662

Sounds like Clang has been put on hiatus(likely permanently) as they ran out of money.  :(    Really sucks for the backers, as this one was a pricey one to back in the first place. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4