Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Kickstarter: CLANG  (Read 9501 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter: CLANG
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 11:08:12 am »

Aw, that's sad, I was looking forward to this one. Well, at least I'm not out any money.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »

This is why projects over a certain dollar amount increasingly make me nervous. Half a million dollars wasn't enough for them to do what they needed to do? Again, this is why I'm less inclined to support anyone but bedroom developers. Kickstarter is not a way to pay your office rent or support a whole team of people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 03:23:56 pm »

This is why projects over a certain dollar amount increasingly make me nervous. Half a million dollars wasn't enough for them to do what they needed to do? Again, this is why I'm less inclined to support anyone but bedroom developers. Kickstarter is not a way to pay your office rent or support a whole team of people.

Kickstarter is a combined seed round/market study, nothing more. Anyone outside tiny bedroom developers is going to be using it as leverage for an angel or VC round.

As much as CLANG has the "cool factor" going for it, it needs a lot more than your garden variety game developer (who I have mad respect for, but are on the low end of the developer salary scale). The type of people they needed to hire to make CLANG's hardware and software happen have specialized skill sets and aren't going to come cheap.

To give some perspective, $500,000 would not be enough to pay for a year of work from a team of 4 A+ developers ($100,000+ salary, plus unemployment insurance, taxes, office space, equipment, and any benefits). I highly doubt a complicated project like CLANG can settle for "did a few student projects and wants to do something cool"-type developers (not to imply that those types of developers are bad, they just don't have the right experience for this project).

So no, half a million dollars was NOT enough for them, and it would be completely unreasonable for anyone to expect them to get much of anything done on a mere half million dollar budget. The Kickstarter was always leverage for larger investment.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 06:54:37 pm »

They should have made that a bit more clear in their original KS campaign, IMO. There's like one sentence that says so, the rest of it is just going on and on about how cool the game's going to be.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]