Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Kickstarter: CLANG  (Read 9506 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter: CLANG
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 02:03:06 am »

I just decided to take a look at that video...

I... have no witty response. I just... want this... o_o

I avoided the video because of the image on it. Could it really be all that good?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:36 am »

Watch the fuckin' video

Watch it now

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 02:35:20 am »

Its worth it for the Gabe Newel cameo.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 02:43:17 am »

It's got a good amount of humor as well. I know I chuckled a few times while watching.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 02:47:47 am »

Its worth it for the Gabe Newel cameo.

::)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 06:37:34 am »

Just googled that Razor thing. 100 quid ain't cheap for a controller for a single game. I do hope these guys succeed because they have a point about sword fighting being badly mishandled by the majority of games. I just don't know how many people are going to be willing to spend 100 + kickstarter donation for it.

Yeah, that's what worries me as well. A totally niche game and you have to fork over a hundred bucks for a special controller that's going to be useless for anything else? I'm not sure how successful that's going to be. Then again, flight sims fans are willing to buy expensive gadgets for their games and the Kickstarter seems to be going along nicely, so who knows.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 07:32:24 am »

Yeah, that's what worries me as well. A totally niche game and you have to fork over a hundred bucks for a special controller that's going to be useless for anything else? I'm not sure how successful that's going to be. Then again, flight sims fans are willing to buy expensive gadgets for their games and the Kickstarter seems to be going along nicely, so who knows.
TrackIR and the ARMA games jump to mind also. Admittedly they have their flight sim parts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 07:41:32 am »

Flight sims and Arma 2 both don't require expensive peripherals though. Anyone who's really into flight sims is probobly going to have a joystick true, but you can get them for like 15-20 dollars/pounds whatever. And you can play perfectly fine with just a mouse and keyboard.

It's kinda sad aswell that none of the reward tiers come with the motion controller included. Like, if you're spending 10,000 on the game or whatever the highest tier is you can probobly afford another 100 for the controller... But they really missed an opportunity to throw one in, maybe branded with their games logo or something. Basically all the donations on the kickstarter page should be listed as "(donation amount) + 100 dollars".

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 07:52:59 am »

Yeah, the rewards are kinda shit. $50, get a pdf file with some concept art. $100, get a T-shirt (shipping not included). $250, get a motivational poster. Seriously? ::)
I guess that at least means the money actually goes to making the game and not the rewards. I've heard that often a lot of kickstarter money gets spent on making and shipping the rewards.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:55:27 am by Sordid »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 09:18:38 am »

Flight sims and Arma 2 both don't require expensive peripherals though. Anyone who's really into flight sims is probobly going to have a joystick true, but you can get them for like 15-20 dollars/pounds whatever. And you can play perfectly fine with just a mouse and keyboard.
That much is true but I just meant that people were willing to shell out for expensive peripherals that have limited use. So few games let you really use a TrackIR and those that do are either driving games or niche.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 11:00:12 am »

That's true, and hopefully kickstarter will mean odd controllers will finally be able to take off, since as I understand it the reason they don't ever do well is lack of game support. Which is because big publishers don't want to take a risk on something niche. It's just hard being the first to test those waters I suppose.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 11:17:12 am »

Its interesting and sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure anything that requires a special controller will really be that successful.

That said, if it comes out I might have to get it just because I love swords.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 11:58:59 am »

Rewards are crappy and I'm honestly not sold on the likelihood of successful follow-through, and it's got a goal that's easily twice the level of every other game kickstarter I've seen.

I think I'll be giving this one a pass for now. But I do hope it works out and results in a great game - special controller or not, I'd probably buy it.

And all of that is pointless, because despite the budget I doubt it would ever even work on my computer. :P

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:17 pm »

It's funny that they compare to Shooters and then design a game that requires a special controller. Here's the thing: shooters aren't really played with gun accessories. Like, ever - lightgun gallery shooters/on-rails aren't really even in the same genre and when they do release with peripherals tend to not get big widespread purchase. They should try to make a mouse-playable version and have the custom controller as a power-goal for later in development. If Die by the Sword could do it then surely they can.

That said I found Stephenson pretty charming in that video and it was pretty well put together so I put in $5.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »

I'll save my money for when they reach the 'next stage' of funding, since they are getting so much money at the moment they are bound to make it.

Also I think iv seen some of the people in their sword lab perform before at a local workshop program I used to go to.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4