Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92309 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »

library > documents > mygames> gnomoria
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2012, 12:32:22 am »

C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\Gnomoria
You have to manually delete them, and they're not named either so good luck!

This most recent (and the only) update seems to be compatible.  It's mainly bugfixes and art changes, nothing major.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2012, 12:48:07 pm »

Is it me or does the game crash when you alt tab?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:00 pm »

I play windowed, 1024x786 on my 1440x900 screen.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2012, 10:27:57 am »

So the site (and the forum) are showing an "account suspended" page. Anyone know anything about it?
Server upgrade? Bandwidth exceeded?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2012, 10:45:29 am »

So the site (and the forum) are showing an "account suspended" page. Anyone know anything about it?
Server upgrade? Bandwidth exceeded?

Yeah, I'm getting that too. I thought maybe I was banned or something, even though I've been on vacation for the past few days.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »

Seems to be back up.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »

For some reason my idle miners refuse to make any blocks out of raw stone...

And yes. I've checked everything.
I've also fiddled with priority. Remade the stone stockpile/etc

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2012, 05:36:43 pm »

Da Checklist:
1: Click on the miner, see if they're "Upset".
2: Is the workshop full?
3: Are there any stones that they cannot path to, perhaps behind a wall or locked away?
4: Do they have stonecutting labor enabled?

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2012, 06:22:46 am »

For some reason my idle miners refuse to make any blocks out of raw stone...

And yes. I've checked everything.
I've also fiddled with priority. Remade the stone stockpile/etc

I've had a make block command on repeat that was stalled until I deleted the job and re-created the job.

Bought this yesterday. Wow. I haven't been back to DF for a couple of years but I keep downloading the Lazy Noob pack and MEANING to start another fortress but there's so much to relearn - just getting the muscle memory back on the shortcuts would take me a week. Gnomoria I opened up to try out and then next thing it was one in the morning.

I see the debate about whether this is or isn't too much of a copy. It really has lifted much of DF wholesale. Regardless, this is the game of DF I've been wanting to play since the start. If RoboBob makes a wedge of money off it, I hope he shares the love with Toady.

There's that Paradox game due to come out next year which could eat everybody's lunch, but... I kinda doubt it.

If Bay12 concentrate on making DF the way they envisage it, and other devs ransack their ideas, discarding the stuff 95% of players don't want or don't care about, while acknowledging their debt with donations then that would seem to be equable. Like that Kickstarter pledge to kickback a percentage to other projects.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2012, 08:17:13 am »

If Bay12 concentrate on making DF the way they envisage it, and other devs ransack their ideas, discarding the stuff 95% of players don't want or don't care about, while acknowledging their debt with donations then that would seem to be equable. Like that Kickstarter pledge to kickback a percentage to other projects.

So Company A makes water valves that you have to wrap a belt around your waste and do awkward maneuvers to use.  Not only is this valve awkward to use, but it borrowed heavily form concepts written in a book about plumbing technology.  Let's call this book series... The Lord of the O-Rings.  Then Company A decides to randomly generate the insides of this valve to entertain a fraction of the people that want to watch the water swirl around for a bit.

Company B sees this as a just too cumbersome and makes a valve to perform the same functions, but you can do it with your hand and the internals are not quite as complex... Company B making money should have to donate to Company A?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2012, 08:31:50 am »

Da Checklist:
1: Click on the miner, see if they're "Upset".
2: Is the workshop full?
3: Are there any stones that they cannot path to, perhaps behind a wall or locked away?
4: Do they have stonecutting labor enabled?

1: Not upset.
2: Empty
3: 2 tiles from it there is a full stack of stone in a stockpile
4: Yes

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:44 am »

So Company A makes water valves that you have to wrap a belt around your waste and do awkward maneuvers to use.  Not only is this valve awkward to use, but it borrowed heavily form concepts written in a book about plumbing technology.  Let's call this book series... The Lord of the O-Rings.  Then Company A decides to randomly generate the insides of this valve to entertain a fraction of the people that want to watch the water swirl around for a bit.

Company B sees this as a just too cumbersome and makes a valve to perform the same functions, but you can do it with your hand and the internals are not quite as complex... Company B making money should have to donate to Company A?

I'm sure we've both donated to DF in the past, and I'm sure we both will again in the future. I hope DF continues to receive a healthy amount of donations, right up until the mythical 1.0 release around 2045, regardless of what games either of us are playing by then.

Now, if you don't think Dwarf Fortress is owed a debt of gratitude for spawning a number of commercial projects then that is entirely your right, but to comment churlishly to that effect on the project's forum would be knave's work.

tl:dr trolls be trollin'

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:53 am »

I'm sure we've both donated to DF in the past, and I'm sure we both will again in the future. I hope DF continues to receive a healthy amount of donations, right up until the mythical 1.0 release around 2045, regardless of what games either of us are playing by then.

Now, if you don't think Dwarf Fortress is owed a debt of gratitude for spawning a number of commercial projects then that is entirely your right, but to comment churlishly to that effect on the project's forum would be knave's work.

tl:dr trolls be trollin'
Debts of gratitude do not imply monetary debt.  They never have and never will.  If someone here finds that DF isn't going the way they would like and decide to hop on board this other project... who are you to tell them they MUST donate their money to this project?  The author of said program has stated that he used DF as inspiration (as far as I'm concerned; gratitude paid.)  He saw how people liked looking at the water flow and decided he could do it better and/or with a slightly different focus or vision.  Since DF isn't open source and has no licensing to restrict use of content (since it was heavily borrowed from other sources and wouldn't stand in any court), he has no recourse but to create his own version with his own vision of the game using similar lore.  If you consider that "churlish" then that's your opinion and you are free to express it, but don't consider me a troll because I don't agree with your opinion.

This sub-forum is for "Other Games" in the "Other Projects" sub-forum of the "Bay 12 Games Forum"  If Toady did not want discussion about "Other Games" (and quite possibly clones) to occur, said sub-forum would not exist.  He did set up this forum to allow adult discourse about other games (related and not related) to DF.  Not for people to throw around insinuations of trolling and fictional debt.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2012, 12:05:47 pm »

That's like saying HiRez studios has produced Smite, so they should be paying Blizzard for use of the MOBA style because it originated with Warcraft 3 custom maps.

The "fortress sandbox" is an emerging genre, much like Infinimer really started the "first person sandbox" genre and then Minecraft made it popular.  If you're trying to say that Gnomoria is a clone of Dwarf Fortress that's like saying that Team Fortress 2 is a clone of Halo.  Despite what you may think, it's possible for games to be the same genre without ripping off one another.

Personally I'm glad that more games like Towns and Gnomoria are coming up.  DF will always be my favorite for the extreme detail and micromanagement you can achieve, not to mention all the new things being added, but Gnomoria provides a "softcore DF" experience where the individual gnome skills don't matter quite as much and you can do more sweeping, broad action in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27