Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92308 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2012, 05:53:19 pm »

Personally, I find it unfortunate that these games are always styled as "clones." DF might do it better (or plan to do it better), or at least with an extreme eye for nuanced detail (especially in the depth of the simulation), but it is hardly the first colony management game with a cult following. Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius get those titles. And who knows, maybe they were inspired by something too: DooM was largely regarded as the first FPS, but hardly anyone mentions Wolfenstein as preceding it (and by the same developers to boot).

Just because DF is popular ("popular", popular enough that its programmer could live, within reason, on donations alone) now, doesn't mean that every colony/fortress management game draws heavily from DF, or was even inspired by it in the first place.

I'm sorry for contributing to this common thread derail.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »

Dungeon Keeper was inspired by Dominus in a lot of ways.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2012, 06:25:21 pm »

Personally, I find it unfortunate that these games are always styled as "clones." DF might do it better (or plan to do it better), or at least with an extreme eye for nuanced detail (especially in the depth of the simulation), but it is hardly the first colony management game with a cult following. Dungeon Keeper and Evil Genius get those titles. And who knows, maybe they were inspired by something too: DooM was largely regarded as the first FPS, but hardly anyone mentions Wolfenstein as preceding it (and by the same developers to boot).

Just because DF is popular ("popular", popular enough that its programmer could live, within reason, on donations alone) now, doesn't mean that every colony/fortress management game draws heavily from DF, or was even inspired by it in the first place.

I'm sorry for contributing to this common thread derail.
My OPINION on the argument is that some people don't want to see Tarn "lose" donations because someone went to play what they THOUGHT was a better game... thinking that somehow it will hurt a game they think it fun.  There's no evidence of such happening and Tarn is still getting his regular donations.  (If they feel that way, maybe they should donate or donate more to Bay12.   Relying on others to fund your fun is the wrong attitude to have.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:51 pm »

What bugs me is that most of these games that come out seem to be only tackle Fort/dwarf mode. Where are my clones that take world gen and integration of adventure mode? Wasn't the one thing you can't do in any of these 'DF likes' is the ability to raid your dead fort for loot? So could we start calling these Goblin Camp clones? Since it touch only Fort/dwarf mode, uses mouse UI.
though I really want to know if one of these GC likes have include an adventure mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:28 pm »

GC is a DF-like though.  So...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:47 pm »

What bugs me is that most of these games that come out seem to be only tackle Fort/dwarf mode. Where are my clones that take world gen and integration of adventure mode? Wasn't the one thing you can't do in any of these 'DF likes' is the ability to raid your dead fort for loot? So could we start calling these Goblin Camp clones? Since it touch only Fort/dwarf mode, uses mouse UI.
though I really want to know if one of these GC likes have include an adventure mode.
So.. you will want http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110893.0 i guess?
And although Toady started DF with the intention of having adventure mode in focus(if i recall correctly) it's fort mode that is the most developed and gotten the most attention.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2012, 07:23:31 am »

I see the debate about whether this is or isn't too much of a copy. It really has lifted much of DF wholesale. Regardless, this is the game of DF I've been wanting to play since the start. If RoboBob makes a wedge of money off it, I hope he shares the love with Toady.

That's the only issue with this game in my opinion, since he's asking for money for a game that takes a majority of it's entire gameplay from a game stated as it's inspiration. I'm just curious as to what this game offer other than being a 'non-confusing' interface version of Dwarf Fortress. I'd love a pre-buyer to enlighten me.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2012, 07:39:23 am »

That's the only issue with this game in my opinion, since he's asking for money for a game that takes a majority of it's entire gameplay from a game stated as it's inspiration. I'm just curious as to what this game offer other than being a 'non-confusing' interface version of Dwarf Fortress. I'd love a pre-buyer to enlighten me.
Right now there isnt much in it, but its kind of a graphical, simplified fortress mode.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:03 am »

I find the interface a little more confusing in places. I like isometric graphics but they can get in the way of seeing what's there at times.

Right now there are lots of small differences from DF besides the interface. There is lighting and day/night cycles, mechanisms have to be discovered by your inventors before they can be used, there is a more definite tech-tree with some workshops requiring materials crafted in other workshops, there is likely more I don't remember. In future updates there will be more mechanical stuff which should set it apart from DF even more with steam engines, muskets, and similar; This is only flavour in a lot of ways I suppose but then a lot of the mechanics of this kind of game go back before DF (stockpiles and autonomous NPCs) or it's simply that DF does them in the most obvious/straightforward way.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2012, 07:50:50 am »

I dont see why people are so nitpicky about one game taking cues from another, it's natural to build off what you love.  I hope one day I find 15 games are in the works that are all inspired by dwarf fortress, why would I not?  They could only make it better and if they dont I could, you know, just not play it or support it

After all, you'd never see me saying "Oh my god, this game SOOO blatantly ripped ideas off of Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magicka" because Arcanum is fucking awesome and there needs to be more games like it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:52:34 am by theprofessor! »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2012, 09:19:58 am »

I find the interface a little more confusing in places. I like isometric graphics but they can get in the way of seeing what's there at times.
Hit 'F' to flatten walls.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2012, 09:54:31 am »

I'm aware of using F to display walls as floors; I even made a suggestion to improve it. Cheers anyway :).

I had meant to write out a longer paragraph on the problems with isometric graphics in general but didn't in the end. I find lining up things as I build them or designate areas far more fiddly. It is also similar to how non-square tilesets throw me in DF. I even used to rotate the camera in Dungeon Keeper until things were at right angles.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:17 pm »

Just to put something forward about the Clone shit...

"OMG WoW CLONE!!!!" "SO RIPPING OFF WoW!!!!" "WoW IS BETTER THEN THIS SHIT, ITS SO COPYING WoW!!!!"

If you don't like those kinds of comments, stop being a Hypocrite...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2012, 12:21:00 pm »

This game looks nice. Are we gonna have to watch out for gnomeblight though?

Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »

I'm aware of using F to display walls as floors; I even made a suggestion to improve it. Cheers anyway :).

I had meant to write out a longer paragraph on the problems with isometric graphics in general but didn't in the end. I find lining up things as I build them or designate areas far more fiddly. It is also similar to how non-square tilesets throw me in DF. I even used to rotate the camera in Dungeon Keeper until things were at right angles.

The problem I have with the cursor is that the wire frame square is green on all edges but it would be clearer if the business end of the cursor, ie the upper diamond, was a different colour to make it clear that what you're building was going to appear underneath it. I do sometimes think a 2D design mode would not go amiss.

Oh, saying no more on donations. Not my business to poke my nose in really. Apologies if I offended anyone.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:38:14 pm by frightlever »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27