Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick farm and magma questions  (Read 1168 times)

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
Quick farm and magma questions
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:56:13 am »

Hey Guys,

Tbh i've never come across how to do these, so I thought I would ask. If there is already a thread sorry.

1. For seed stockpiles near my farm, how do I prevent them from being placed in barrels/bags etc.? (Because it's a waste)

2. How do I bring up magma to my fort, from a magma pool/sea? (Takes ages to haul crap from the forges down there, and I don't want to have to move my fort down.)

Cheers
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Quick farm and magma questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:07:44 am »

1) Make the barrel count zero on stockpile when you q over it. I don't know if you can disallow bags, but you shouldn't, because otherwise it'll need a huge area.

2) Pump stacks, or minecarts. For the first, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_stack here. The second, can't help you there. I dislike minecarts because they are a health hazard.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 07:39:41 am »

1) Make the barrel count zero on stockpile when you q over it. I don't know if you can disallow bags, but you shouldn't, because otherwise it'll need a huge area.

2) Pump stacks, or minecarts. For the first, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_stack here. The second, can't help you there. I dislike minecarts because they are a health hazard.

Thanks for the answers dude.

And I was under the impression that bags were as bad as barrels with seeds, but turns out they aren't.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 05:48:00 pm »

Thanks for the answers dude.

And I was under the impression that bags were as bad as barrels with seeds, but turns out they aren't.

What do you mean by bags being "as bad as barrels with seeds"?  I'm just curious what sort of problem you're having with the barrels?  Dwarves will put seeds in a bag, then the bags in a barrel.  You can fit 1,000 seeds in a barrel, 10 bags with 100 seeds each.  You can run an entire undergound farm off of a 1 square stockpile for seeds.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:58:54 pm »

I wouldn't recommend ever having barrels enabled for seed stockpiles, just because it'll amplify the job cancellations hugely. You can minimize the effect bags have on it by using an intermediate stockpile, but I haven't found a way to completely prevent it.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:40 am »

I wouldn't recommend ever having barrels enabled for seed stockpiles, just because it'll amplify the job cancellations hugely. You can minimize the effect bags have on it by using an intermediate stockpile, but I haven't found a way to completely prevent it.

Ah yes, I wasn't thinking .11 yet.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:08:01 am »

do magma pistons still work?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 01:37:31 am »

As of 34.07: yes they do. And I didnt see anything in the change logs that said they do not in .11
(a>b) ? false : true

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:51 am »

And there I thought you wanted to irrigate with magma.

But now you can bring up magma with minecarts, which is arguably easier to set up than a magma piston or pump stack, but less effective.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:50:29 am »

And there I thought you wanted to irrigate with magma.

But now you can bring up magma with minecarts, which is arguably easier to set up than a magma piston or pump stack, but less effective.

Magma irrigation sure does sound FUN  8)

Ah yes, I wasn't thinking .11 yet.

:P