Trial by water!
- 2 (33.3%)
Bury it alive, Mebuy style!
- 0 (0%)
The poll was confusing.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61

Author Topic: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Overseers Needed)  (Read 81483 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Overseers Needed)
« Reply #870 on: November 16, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »

Haven't been able to get ahold of hostergaard if he doesn't post by tommorrow pivole gets the save.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 18, 2012, 10:04:27 am »

Ah, sorry, I missed that, due to reasons. I'll see if I can get it done tonight, but if not, it's going to be Tuesday before I post. Sorry.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 18, 2012, 01:31:26 pm »

Sorry, tough this thing was dead. Gonna update tomorrow.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 19, 2012, 02:21:21 pm »

26th Granite

By Broseph beard, migrants! 26 new souls to herd and mouths to feed. I have work to do.

27th Granite

There where some good and wholesome dwarfs among them with various farming related skills like milking and dying. But the most interesting two of the lot was a dwarf with a great knack for wood, cutting them down, making bows or any carpentry, if it was wooden he could use it. Another was a metalsmith with impressive armoring, metal-crafting and furnace operating abilities.

The first will get will be set to work at my new project, the second will work the furnaces until we can get some metal for him to work with.

15th Slate

Where are the hunters?!? Damn wild boars are disturbing the woodcutters out in the forest, slowing down everything as we need wood to make pottery. For once I wish the blasted elves would hurry getting their asses here, usually they have a bunch of wood to sell. We need wood. Desperately.

9th Felsite

The flock finally finished expanding my modest quarters, one need space for prayers.

And the windows allows the light of our lord to shine in and lets my watchful eyes look out and make sure the children follow his word.

13th Felsite

The elves are finally here! Time to trade!

18th Felsite

Ah, yes. Clothes, wood, animals, barrels of spirits. Elves might be whiny treehuggers, but at least they are dependable in the goods they deliver.

13th Hematite

I just discovered that we have a certain cat problem.

I am loathe to do anything rash about our feline friends, as to farmers such as ourselves they are great boon in that they keep pests away, but this is getting out of hand.

17th Hematite

The elves left with their goods.

19th Hematite

Stardust nearly drowned today when some unnamed idiot of a dwarf deconstructed the floor out under her. We where making space for some floorgrates at the well when it happened. Luckily I heard the commotion from the floor collapsing and quickly ordered a dwarf to dig a emergency staircase to the bottom of the well. She walked out just fine, commenting happily how she enjoyed all the mist from the collapse. Strange girl.

21th Hematite

The poor kitties are being bitten by mosquito's!

...a lot. There is constantly a dwarf running up to me telling how poor mister Snugglesworth have been bitten by the terrible mosquito's and then drags me along to show me the red spots on the mangy creatures ass as proof.

25th Malachite

Today we where beset by a circus of thieving Keas. One of the hunters shot the filthy avian out of the sky, a nearby recruit spotted the downed creature whereupon he was beset with rage at the sight of this conniving thing, entered a material trance, and  cruelly beat it do death.

I must be sure to reward this brave fellow for his fine spirit in protecting the village.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:21:16 pm by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:06 pm »

And with that the first blocks are put in place for the glorious future of murderfarmed....

Sorry, something school related came up shuddenly and I do not have the time to play for the next week or so.

So here is the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7171

If no one grabs it and keep playing within a week or two I will finish my turn, but if there is someone ready you better keep it going!

Terribly sorry.  :-[

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 27, 2012, 03:52:34 pm »

Attempting to get this working. Not that it doesn't, just that I've never tried.

Good luck with school. By Armok, do I hate it.

Edit: Blast it all. nothing seems to want to decompress this file. I'll try again on thursday.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:19:12 pm by pivole »

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 29, 2012, 04:30:29 pm »

Would it be possible for thou to send me the save as a .zip rather than a .rar, please Hostergaard?
My computer doesn't seem to want to cooperate with .rars.
If not, feel free to pass this on to someone else.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:54 pm »

Do you have winrar?

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:32 am »

Ah, all is ok now. I'll try and get it played tomorrow, and typed on monday. Sorry about the delay, and all accompanying infuriation.

Edit: Agh, keep forgetting the industry rule. I feel this may end up somewhat stagnant, due to me just unbuilding the stuff as i build.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:53:53 pm by pivole »

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 02, 2012, 07:32:21 am »

Is it just for me, or is the tileset completely buggered up? The goblins are buckets, the humans are dwarves, wheelbarrows are an umlauted Y, etc...

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 02, 2012, 05:00:58 pm »

Is it just for me, or is the tileset completely buggered up? The goblins are buckets, the humans are dwarves, wheelbarrows are an umlauted Y, etc...
Sounds like you are using a different tileset (or no tileset) than the last person did.
What you are seeing are the symptoms of the save having the raws for a different tileset than the one you are using in them.
The raws have to be changed to the ones for the tileset you are trying to use to fix that.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:29 am »

I play tileset-free.
It might explain why soil is gods.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:01 am »

Diary of Pivole, Administrator.

Indecipherably scrawled date in 355.

Following Hostergaard's standing down, apparently something to do with having too much work on his hands, the council, or Helmet, saw fit to put me in charge of the village. In all of my eighty-odd years, I've never been trusted this much.

As my first order, I ordered our used ammunition recovered. We're just churning out bolts at a needless rate, and wasting all of the used ones. I'm shifting the bonework industry to something more decorative and less useful. There's really no need for us to have upwards of one and half thousand bolts, and still be making more.

I was perusing the inventory today, and noticed as we had an heap of metal bows listed. Not crossbows, just plain old bows! I had the iron ones melted. I was going to have the lot melted, but then someone was complaining as we actually used the things. I left the bronze ones intact.

Indecipherably scrawled date in 355

For a farming village, this place is surprisingly backward. Not a single mill to be seen! We can't make a living through a few people grinding stuff in querns at home. I've ordered a watermill built on the north side of the river, out of the dried clay that we have available. I've had those molten bows cast into mechanisms, for the grinding.

In the village's animal register, we've got heaps of stray cats and dogs. In lieu of a reasonable solution in the form of cages, I'm having the cats slaughtered, and the dogs trained for war.

So, after finishing the watermill, I'm told that nobody here actually wants to run it. Helmet goes on a rant about it being a waste of dwarfpower and clay, tells me as I should've asked if anyone wants one, and has me get it demolished.
Git.

I have to do something about this town. really. There's about three hundred rope reeds just sitting there, with noone allowed to do anything but thresh them. We have the facilities for maybe two dwarves, at best, to process them, and we have thirty dwarves milling around all day doing sod all.
As such, I have concocted the following solution:

(a generally square shaped scribble)

It's going to be a large hall, full of dwarves, labouring all day, all year. It will stand as a glorious monument to dwarven industry, engineering, and architecture. As such, no wood or dried clay will be suitable. It must be built in strong, baked engineering bricks, that will stand trials of fire, water and time.
As its champion, I shall build my quarters above the working hall, that I might survey the work and be on hand to solve any problems that arise.

A toast to the Future!

I've ordered a pair of kilns built by the Cloth Hall site, and a stockpile to keep raw and finished bricks in.

A cry from one of the masons, whose name I don't care to remember, on the outskirts today. A caravan from the human city nearby arrived, with six wagons, no less!

Moments later, a cry from another villager, followed by a horrific screeching sound. The sound of goblins. The bastards must've been following the caravan.

Must admit, I thought as they were dressed like buckets.

Bugger it all!
The goblins got to the human caravan just a few Urists out of town. The humans slew every one of them, but then decided to turn tail, never so much as talk to one of us, let alone trade.

Bastards.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38:40 am »

Diary of Pivole, Administrator.

Noone even saw the damnable creature, let alone try to stop it. The guards are to be reprimanded.

I was strolling through the town, to visit the broker for a financial meeting, When I noticed this:

Right next door to his manse, there's this little house, made out of stone. It was looking pretty dilapidated, what with it not having a roof, and being full of weeds, but the door was still in good condition. I've ordered a good larch roof put atop it, so as one of our more affluent townsfolk might be able to live in a good quality abode, one that isn't made of dried clay.

Anyway, after the meeting, I went to inspect the progress being made on the Cloth Hall (Which was minimal, only a few stacks of bricks had been made) , and I noticed a bloody awful stench in the air, even over the smoke from the kilns and charcoal oven. So, covering my nose over with my gloves, I went to investigate, and found the putrefying corpse of a horse, buried in a good dozen or so kilderkins and bins, surrounded by dead goblins and blood.
Now I've got no idea what thoughts go through these humans' brainless heads, but apparently they thought it was a good idea to weigh a horse down with ridiculous amounts of goods, and then leave all of their produce behind, rather than recover it. It's no skin off my back, anyway. I've organised a mass looting. At least we'll be getting something from the caravan.

6th Limestone, 355

At dinner today, Helmet came over and started shouting something about how I should write the date more clearly. I've got no idea where that rant came from, but I've noticed that in this town, no matter who you are, it's a good idea to do what he tells you to.

7th Limestone, 355

I got a report from the brickmakers that we actually have enough to bother with now. I've told the masons to begin the construction of the Cloth Hall. Finally!

21st Limestone, 355

I noticed that the militia as were on drill were looking less than enthusiastic today. I thought that they enjoyed their job, but the most of them were complaining about how it's been ages since they've done anything civilian. Well, a volunteer's as good to me as ten pressed dwarves, so I'm going to look at forming a third section of militia in the near future.

Apparently, we had some migrants turn up. They just marched in, and started dumping their stuff in the empty houses. I never had time to find out how many there were or what their professions were.
Seemed damned uncivil and greedy to me.

22nd Limestone, 355

So, just after everybody's finished tearing the roof off the mill, and taking out the decking over the river, some clever Dodok pointed out that it would make fair good housing for somebody.
The damage to the main structure is minimal. I'm having the roof replaced, and the walls and decking undeconstructed.

23rd Limestone, 355

I managed to round up a handful of trained men from Helmet's Grand Conscription. There's only five of them, but it's enough for half a section, and some of these are terrifyingly good. A few of them joke about the one being an expert, and another a master with a crossbow. They seem to get on well, and I'm sure they'll be valuable for the town's defence.

7th Sandstone, 355

Some wench was whining about a lack of bees, and lamenting the loss of her hives. I had them replaced in some open ground, and those mechanisms, from the mill that never was, can be used to build a press. I’d have thought a massive array of enormous gears would be a bit much for the job, but I’m no engineer. I’ll leave that to the mechanics.

13th Sandstone, 355

After a little more than a month, the ground walls of the Cloth Hall are complete! I'm having the kilns removed, and some workshops for the threshers and weavers put in.
I'm told by the architects that they can start work on my quarters now, but that they aren't sure about how they're supposed to roof such a big, open structure. Well, I told them as solving that sort of problem is why we tolerate them in the community, and then left them to it.

20th Sandstone, 355

For a forest, it must be said as there aren't very many trees around. I can count a score or so, from the residential area.
Simple solution to that problem, though. I'm having every tree in the area felled, so as that way we aren't in a forest, so it won't matter if there aren't any trees.
How am I so brilliant?

25th Sandstone, 355

So now the beekeeper, whose hives and press I had rebuilt, is complaining as her needs jugs for the honey so as her can use the wax for anything.
I'm having a few wooden ones carved to shut her up.

27th Sandstone, 355
Well, It appears that in my construction of the Cloth Hall, I have exhausted the town’s supply of wood and charcoal, such that I can’t build my own quarters properly, or roof my workshops. This is going to require dwarven thinking.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 04, 2012, 08:56:19 am »

A third squad? There should be three squads active right now, one of them the fortress guard.

I had the same problem as you when I played, there where only two squads set on a train-patrol rotation with no down time, they where not happy little dwarfs, I can tell you that much. So I set up the fortress guard as a third squad, so all had a train-patrol-free cycle. The angry dwarf might not have yet gotten around to having some free time, as it is fairly new and the entire rotation is three months. Tough, a two to one cycle might still be to much?

You might want to set up a melee squad for this, as all the squads right now are ranged. I considered setting up the fortress guard as a melee squad, but decided against it, as giving the captain of the guard a big heavy hammer to hammer the dwarfs with is just asking for trouble. But if you feel evil you could change that and let them use melee weapons. As for now the captain of the guard have a nice light wooden masterwork crossbow, (if memory serves me right) hopefully it won't leave the dwarfs too badly broken when punished and still make the captain dangerous in a fight, as the quality decides the firing rate I believe.

That reminds me; I noticed that the hunters where all master crossbow users and ambushers while our squads where still novice. So I turned of their labor and turned hunting on for all of our soldiers, so they would hunt in their free time and thus train their skills (might also be the cause of the complaints?). The hunters had some other professions turned on too, and the soldiers should be more than enough to keep up the hunting kill rate. Oh, if you are gonna make a new squad, the old hunters would make a perfect basis, either as a new ranged squad, or as a way to free up some of the dwarfs with melee experience in the other squads.

I had been considering doing that myself before sending the save on.   

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61