Trial by water!
- 2 (33.3%)
Bury it alive, Mebuy style!
- 0 (0%)
The poll was confusing.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61

Author Topic: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Overseers Needed)  (Read 81480 times)

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
Re: Murderfarmed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Overseers Needed)
« Reply #885 on: December 04, 2012, 12:32:54 pm »

I did consider the mêlée squad, but I couldnt find enough armour. Mainly, I don't like to use mêlée sections unless there's at least a metal helmet per member. Too many faces pushed through brains, otherwise.
What month am I meant to finish at?
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 04, 2012, 07:12:56 pm »

Well, you don't need to fill it entirely, in fact, I think currently the ranged squads only have nine dwarfs each. Either way, maybe make some or trade for some? I am sure the dwarf caravan will have something good.

The custom is to hand it over at the start of a new year, but you got it halfway trough a turn, so you have the option to take a long turn and do one and half year.

Also; should we ever embark again on a new piece of land we really should consider maxing the embark size; things are getting really cramped and there is next to no wood left. It should not be to bad on the computers considering that we are keeping to only a few z-levels.

Oh and before I forget, I did some stupid stuff with the well because I did not notice that it was filled by an aquifer. Tought it was being kept filled by a bucket brigade, so I decided to expand the access points with some floor grates. I was careless and the well collapsed, lost bucked and mechanism into it with a dwarf (which I managed to save with a quickly dug staircase). I discovered my mistake when I was trying to empty the well to retrieve the mechanism. You should probably check up on it and make sure its working again. And you should probably make sure booze is being made, we had a serious lack of booze production on my turn.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 04, 2012, 08:34:09 pm »

posting to watch. and be in awe of sigs.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »

Technically you can make the roof out of raw fireclay, strange as that seems. And as bad an idea as it might be.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 06, 2012, 06:02:47 am »

Diary of Pivole, administrator

2nd Timber, 355

I've been finding it hard to write anything recently. As in, actually physically difficult. Don't know why.
Also, everyone's been giving me funny looks, avoiding me, not talking, and such. The Inquisition have been looking around my house as well. They wouldn't explain themselves.
Oh well.

13th Timber, 355

I had another militia squad formed, the Anvil of Bricks. These have been told as they're brawlers, rather than marksdwarves. We've got enough looted weaponry, but I really want them to all wear a helmet and breastplate, at the minimum. That little protection can work wonders against mortality.
I'm having them practice around a chest, by the archery range. There were only three spare dwarves that knew how to fight, so I've asked for a heap of unskilled volunteers.

18th Timber, 355

Praise the gods! A caravan from the Mountainhomes!
I've had the militia assemble around the town, in case of ambush.

21st Timber, 355

Three damnable days, and the caravan still hasn't reached the town. I expect it's eithwer caught in shrubs, or it's very heavily laden.
Just as expected, a visit from the goblins. One squad on either side of the town. Casualties in moments. I hear that one of our Inquisitors was the first to die, whilst covering a few villagers' escape. Story goes that he just stood his ground, shooting repeatedly, until he took a pike to the face. They're brave lads.

22nd Timber, 355

The caravan has finally reached the depot. The battle rages on. So far, I've heard, between seven and ten losses, five of which are militia, two of which are Inquisition, and at least five wounded. By far too many.
I saw the Anvil of Bricks fling themselves into the brawl with gusto, but unfortunately, I fear, without sufficient armour.
Marksdwarves seem to be fighting hand-to-hand, despite our enormous stacks of ammunition. I'll be investigating the supply of quivers after the raid finishes.

24th Timber, 355

Today saw the last of the goblins slain, at a terrible cost. On the other hand, we can finally trade! It seems like so long.
I've suggested to the broker that he take an apprentice along, that future losses to raids might be less fatal to the town.
Our priorities are helmets, breastplates, and barrels.

The broker came back, said as we’d got heaps of stone bricks, a few boulders, barely any wood, two dozen barrels, two hauberks and a breastplate, a few cheap brass helmets, a pair of shortswords, and a handful of shields and bucklers.
A profitable venture, thinks I, considering as it only cost us a few barrels of bone.
I hear that there were a few barrels that were ridiculously decorated, coated in gemstones, ten times the cost of a plain one. I'd say as you'd be an idiot to even consider buying that.

25th Timber, 355

I’ve been so busy these days, it took me best part of two months to notice as I’m actually dead. Apparently I’ve been dead since the 9th Sandstone. How time flies! Pon Katt, an Inquisitor, and one of the militiamen have all mentioned it in passing, but I don’t think I was really paying attention. Must be the reason as noone's been paying attention to me. They’ve convicted a bone carver, whose name I don't care to remember.
It's quite funny, when you think about it.
I’ll just hover around here until I’m finished with my mission. I might get myself buried in the Cloth Hall.

26th Timber, 355

I spotted a kidnapper making off with another baby. I tried to alert everyone, but to no avail. Noncorporeality really has its downsides.

27th Timber, 355

I've designated a graveyard by the barracks, for the glorious dead, and the others too.

1st Moonstone, 355

Apparently one of the Inquisitors was having a punch-up with one of the children today. I had to intervene, it's clearly a case of the Inquisition's leather-clad fist abusing its power. I suppose that they took their losses hard. They haven't elected any new members.

9th Moonstone, 355

I've got my coffin in place now, so I've not long left for this plane.
I elected one of the town clerks, Lupa, as my successor, both in my term as overseer, and in the running of the Cloth Hall. She seems like a competent businessdwarf, and she's in the militia, so she should have their support.
I have great faith in her.

I bid this plane farewell, and wish all good luck upon Murderfarmed and its inhabitants.

To the Future!

Diary ends.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:25:21 am by pivole »

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 06, 2012, 06:46:50 am »

Diary of Lupa Inethtorish, Clerk

Moonstone 9th, ’55

Well, after all this death, and drought, something bloody odd’s happened.
Last night, I swear, I were visited by Pivole. He’s come into my room, in the middle of the night, and he tells me as he wants me to be the village foredwarf. I do’t know whatever for, I mean, we didn’t speak, at all, albeit through no bad blood.
I thought as it were odd, so I spake with his old wife, and her says as it’s apparently a normal thing, He’d been strolling about the town as though nothing were wrong. Said as he still come home to go to bed. Bloody odd.
Anyway, I went to talk to Helmet, which I weren’t looking fo’wards to at all. He was just lying in bed, keeled over, sounding sick as a kea, and telling me as it were fine, but just bugger off.
So I'm in charge now.
My first act is to get me out of that damn militia. I haven't been off duty for the last two months, and I was lucky to stay alive when the caravan came along.

Moonstone 10th, ’55

Furnace operator was throwing barrels at people, broke a trainer’s arm. Apparently the Inquisition don’t care.

Moonstone 12th, ’55

Had a few more houses built, it looks as though we’m low on space.
Similarly, we’m low on rope reeds, so I’m having a farm plot made by the Cloth Hall for just such reason.

Booze is flowing freely, but I’m having extra barrels made.
Bolts are flowing much more freely, and it’s a bloody mess. I’m having bins made.

Moonstone 21st, ’55

Been reminded of this:

It's an organisational nightmare! Who, by hell, could have thought as keeping caged animals, barrels of food, sacks of sand, animal traps, and Armok alone knows what else, in the same pile, was a good idea?
When I say Armok alone knows what else, I’m deadly serious. There’s no way as anyone can actually know what lies beyond the first few layers of barrels, not without detailed bookkeeping.
This is the sort of organisation as mothers tell their bairns off for!

Moonstone 22nd, ’55

Two dozen stray cats in the cellar, and that’s just the adults. I’m not going to be lenient.

The Mayor gave birth today. I’ll have to pay her a visit.

I never did see such beautiful baby as that one. If only the mayor cared for the village’s neatness as much as her does the baby.

Moonstone 25th, ’55

As many bleeding dogs as cats. They’ll suffer a similar fate to the felines.

Catten, the woodcrafter, gave birth to a boy today. I'll have to visit her. Babies are a great distraction from the mess as this village's in.

Moonstone 28th, ’55

Joy of joys! I’ve given birth to a baby girl! I hadn’t really noticed how pregnant I was, but apparently it was very much so!
Now I've got my own reason to make this village a better place. I only pray that with this many infants they can all survive the winter.

I'm told as her looks just like me.
We've given her a provisional name for now, but when we're trying to think of a better one.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 08, 2012, 12:01:19 pm »

Haven't had much chance to type vp for a while. I'll play to the end of this year, and then someone else can haue a whole one.
I'll get written up on monday.

Edit: Blast. I've not read the calendar properly, so now I'm in Obsidian. Hope as this doesn't matter too much.

Edit II: Attempting to vpload for whoeuer wants to take ouer. Progress bar isn't mouing. File is in .zip, as i don't seem to have a .rar compressor, and administrator accounts preuent me getting one.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:31:41 pm by pivole »

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 08, 2012, 02:04:27 pm »

Ok, I've tried dffd and mediafire, and can't seem to upload to either. can anyone lend a suggestion?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 08, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

I would like a turn. Dwarf me as Tahu, profession "Dedicated Hauler".
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 08, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »

Ok, I've tried dffd and mediafire, and can't seem to upload to either. can anyone lend a suggestion?
Convert it into a rar file and upload to DFFD

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 09, 2012, 09:34:26 am »

Can I conuert it to a .rar iust by changing the file tag, or do I actually need to somehow convert it properly? As I say, due to lack of priuileges, I can't download any fancy programs. Or vn-fancy ones.

Sorted as sorted.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7210
As I say, I should have it typed up by British noon tomorrow, but vntil then, the next ouerseer can get playing.

Have !!FUN!!.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:45:10 am by pivole »

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 10, 2012, 05:57:25 am »

Diary of Lupa Inethtorish, Clerk

Opal 6th, '55

The plot near the Cloth Hall was by far too dry for farming, so I ordered them flooded with the water from the pools nearby. Apparently this was too much water.

One of our woodworkers gave birth in a ditch. This is a lot of babies all at once...

Opal 7th, '55

I've ordered a kit to be made for a screw pump, so as we can drain the farm. If it needs flooding again, we'll have to just move this one. We haven't the resources to build two.

Opal 8th, '55

The water froze overnight. So begins the deep winter. Currently, we have plentiful drink, but for how long, I know not.

Opal 11th, '55

Our first casualty to the winter today. Stodir Thikutdodok, apparently famed for his bird shooting, just keeled over in the middle of the town. For no good reason at all.

Opal 24th, ’55

Water thawed very suddenly, in midwinter of all times. Suddenly ended underwater secret construction. No apparent losses.
Standing down in four days.

Opal 27th, ’55

Term nearly over. Rope reed plantation is healthy, even underwater. Evacuation pipe nearly finished. Food stockpile designated amongst housing.
Cat and dog slaughter proceeds at a pleasing rate.

Opal 28th, ’55

Handed over to next overseer. Quarters being furnished above cloth hall.

End.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 13, 2012, 04:02:51 am »

Is nobody going to pick this up?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 13, 2012, 03:44:52 pm »

Save is free to anyone who will take it.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61