Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Progress :: Never Split the Party, Scooby Doo  (Read 47752 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Yet Another New Title
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2012, 08:35:19 pm »

((Skyrunner: If you've got an action you want to take during the travel, please post it sometime tonight.  :) ))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2012, 08:41:12 pm »

Blinking a few times at the slightly disconcerting anomaly that swallowed one of his group members, Sinterous turns to Talendir.
"I may be interested in studying that... Artefact you have acquired at some point in the future, with your consent."
"Sure. I'll keep it protected for the moment and when we reach the village I'll let you study it. I think you might discover more about it than me, at the very least."
Talendir smirked. He was not dumb, and even if he had some knowledge of magic, it was mostly geared towards recognizing magic and warding it off than anything else. The soldier was fully aware of his shortcomings, and letting a magic user examine it would be the best available option.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 07, 2012, 09:38:17 pm »

Derm

Inviting Aero to follow, you alter the flow of gravity around your body [6] quite a bit more than intended. You push off with a small step and begin to ascend in a straight line. It seems that you've placed yourself in a complete null-gravity field. You glide smoothly towards the interlaced branches of the canopy.

-6MP
____

Talendir

Carefully wrapping the ball of flesh and stowing it away, you follow the herbalist. You assume that your party will be welcome in the village, and she agrees with little hesitation, beckoning to your companions. It seems that you'll be able to shelter there overnight, at least.
____

Aero

You say your farewells to the herbalist before turning to follow Derm into the air, slightly wondering how he planned to accomplish that on his own. You notice him floating towards the trees, apparently not entirely in control of his situation. Shrugging, you take off and snag Derm, only to realize that you probably will not be able to get back up through the path you took through the thickly interwoven tree limbs. Considering it for a moment, you turn and follow the others along the road.
____

Sinterous

Furrowing your brow, you try to convince the tuft of mushrooms to relocate to a less visible location beneath your hat. [5] It flows smoothly across your scalp and through your hair; you can feel the network of tendrils surrounding your skull shift in accordance with its new location near the crown of your head.

You ask Talendir if you can examine the ball of flesh; he agrees to let you study it once you reach the village.
____

You travel along the road for a bit more than half an hour before the trees begin to thin out. At that point, the two villagers turn off the road and head towards a small valley in the hills to the South along a well-worn track. The sun hangs low and red in the sky when you enter the village. Terraced farms rise up from the far side of the hamlet; smoke rises from the chimneys of a small smithy and a number of houses. The herbalist tells you that there are a few rooms in the town hall for the use of travelers, gesturing at a long, low structure near the center of town. With a wave, she sends her assistant off, then draws in closer to where you stand (or in Derm's case, float), looking at Aero in particular. In a low whisper, she hints that the night is not a safe time for strangers, and that each of you are welcome to stay the night in her home as guests.

Talendir carefully hands the toothy ball of flesh over to Sinterous.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:09 pm »

"Nah, I'm good with the hall."

Go to the hall, ward the room what we are to sleep in, and sleep on the ceiling/in the middle of the air for the hell of it. and to confuse possible intruders.

I like this null gravity thing.

HP: 21/30
MP: 39/40 (Regens 5 MP/turn)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:55:14 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 07, 2012, 09:52:12 pm »

Talendir nods his head in a gesture of respect to the herbalist.
"Thank you and I'm sorry miss, but I won't accept your kind offer. My team is free to do as they please, but I'll prefer the town hall." he then turns to Sinterous, pointing at the red blob "If you want to follow her into her house, you can return me the artifact by the morning."

The knew better than to accept kind offers from people. More people had died sleeping in the beds of kind strangers than of old age, and he did not want to take any risks nor attract any unwanted trouble to the herbalist's house.

Try to find a safer place to sleep than the town hall. If none is found, head for the town hall and use the mercenary method of sleeping: sitting in a leg-hugging position against the wall, always clutching the sword and shield, with your belongings firmly tied to your back and alert.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2012, 12:38:05 am »

Nice, they ain't goin. That'd make it a bit harder.

"Miss, I'd love to spend the night in the home of a wonderful lady like yourself."
Aero replies, accompanying his acceptance with a wink and a confident smile. He follows her home, and just lets things flow.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 08, 2012, 03:10:19 am »

"While I much appreciate the offer, I will be doing some magical research of a completely unpredictable nature. I dare not subject you or your household to such dangers."
Sinterous heads off in search of an area where he is able to investigate the flesh-ball in relative isolation.

Disregard sleep, unravel secrets of the multiverse.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((Am I able to perform simple cantrips, such as lighting a candle?))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:20 am »

((Am I able to perform simple cantrips, such as lighting a candle?))
((Yeah, I'll allow little stuff like that for RP purposes and such, as long as it doesn't affect your actions too much; you can light a candle, but not light five hundred tiny flames to kill something, and so on.

Incidentally, I got a PM from Skyrunner yesterday about her not being able to post for a while. As I'm not sure what constitutes "a while", I'm just going to assume that Mina is tagging along without contributing useful, though if it ends up going on for longer than two weeks or so, I might drop her into long-term storage with Hedric.  :P))

____

Derm

Kicking off from a fencepost, you drift towards the hall, catching yourself on the doorframe. Looking inside, it is a single, large room line with columns. A small section at the far end is sectioned off with heavy curtains and appears to contain cots and small end-tables. The hall is empty, the torches and lamps along the walls look as if they have been dark for several weeks.

You summon your power, weaving it into the wood and stone of the structure [5], successfully forming a powerful framework for a number of protective wards. Thinking for a moment, you attempt to fashion three layers of protection: an alarm that will alert you if someone or something with hostile intentions enters the building; a repulsive ward to discourage dark spirits from investigating the interior; and a final layer of protection to attack intruders. [6] [1] [4]

((You'll see the specifics of those results quite soon.))

This work done, you push off the wall, drifting towards the ceiling, where you lie back and try to sleep.

-18 MP
+ 15 EXP
+ 1 MP capacity
____

Talendir

Thanking the herbalist for her offer, you politely decline. A moment later, you ask that Sinterous return your blob of flesh and teeth in the morning.

You search the town for a safe place to rest for the night [3], but cannot find anything but bare hillside and small homes, nothing but lack-of-concealment and dead ends. With a somewhat fatalistic shrug, you head towards the town hall. As you pass through the door, you feel something slide over you. You notice Derm dozing off in the rafters, then move towards a wall equidistant from the door and curtained-off area in the back, pulling your legs up, sword and shield in hand. It is rather uncomfortable, but that is nothing new to you. You drift off into a light sleep.
____

Aero

Without a moment of hesitation, you accept the herbalist's offer with a wink and a grin, following her home. As you pass the threshold [4], you feel a bit cheerier than you were, a smile spreading across your face. The herbalist brushes against you as she steps by to bar the door, then moves into another room, where she begins to sort the contents of her satchel into a wall covered in labelled wooden drawers. She asks you to make yourself at home.

Glancing around you see that three rooms are attached to the entryway: the kitchen/workshop where the herbalist is now; a small bedroom; and a sitting room with a pair of old wooden chairs and a fireplace. The herbalist finishes her task and returns, telling you that it would be best to get an early start on the night, and asks you if you'd like to sleep on a blanket, or if you'd mind sharing a bed.
____

Sinterous

You thank the herbalist for the offer as she walks off, Aero in tow, but decide to find an area to safely study the flesh-ball. [6] Ascending a nearby hill, you find a circle of weather-worn standing stones arranged around an altar carved with magical runes which no-doubt once glowed with power. Abnormal swirls of wind maintain a steady breeze within the array of stones as the moon peeks over the horizon. You couldn't have built a more perfect place to test a possibly-cursed artifact if you'd tried.

Placing the ball of flesh down on the altar, you stare at it, probing it for a response with a few fingers of unformed magic in the grand tradition of magical research: poke it and see what happens. [2] The teeth shudder, and an inhuman voice echos in your head, mad babbling in a language beyond your comprehension! [3] v. [2] The mental voice dies down, but the memory of it is horrifying; you empty your stomach onto the hard, cold ground.

-3 MP
-1 HP
____

Lei

You wake to the slow, steady sound of droplets of water landing on stone. Blinking, you try to clear your head. Wha-who are you? Lei, Lei Senai. You were sent on... a mission? Yes, a mission for that never-sufficiently-damned Freeholder. Something about a lich; that felt like an Age ago, though. You had just escaped that forest and asked for aid from the simple folk of a nearby village, who had been suitably impressed with your postion. After that, though... wha?

You shake your head, concentrating on the moment. Location? Looks like a small cave; rough stone, lichen, a small blue-black light hovering near the ceiling. Iron rungs protruding from one of the walls, leading up a closed hatch. You feel incredibly weak, as if you've spent nearly a week unconscious in an underground chamber, likely being fed and watered just enough to keep you ali—oh, wait.
____

((Derm and Talendir: You're both currently asleep, and if you want to stay that way until, ehe, something happens, you don't need to post any actions for this turn. For Derm in particular, you'll heal a bit more if you keep sleeping as long as possible.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2012, 11:40:25 am »

I'll sleep. Status!

HP: 21/30
MP: 33/41 (Regens 5 MP/turn)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 08, 2012, 12:41:53 pm »

"Oh, no, no, dere's no need for you t'go get a blanket or nothin'. I'd be fine sharin' a bed wit you. Better den my teammates, dat's for sure. Dey're all dudes, or wackjobs."
Aero said, not realizing just how apparent his accent was. He stretched his tired muscles, making sure she got a long look at his "impressive" physique.
"Well den, I tink Im'ma go hit da hay."
He walks into the bedroom, lies down on the bed, relaxes his muscles and shuts his eyes. Without opening his eyes, he asks.
"So, what's da real reason I'm 'ere?
((I just realized, Aero has been invited into this womans house, invited into her bed, and he dosen't even know her name.))
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:04:31 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »

(Spinal_Taper: details details. :P
And HOLY CRAPONASTICK! I was expecting to just be BEHIND these guys. Yowza.)

''Uhh...'' Lei holds her head, pain from dehydration keeping her unsteady. ''Figures, I'm not good at this.'' She hugs herself to keep warm, taking comfort in her shawl. ''They seemed such nice people, I didn't check their thoughts. Well... I'm awake now. Anyone nearby?'' She asked to herself quietly.

She focuses on reading any nearby minds without disturbance. If none nearby, she focuses on mapping the cave for any weakspots.

(When I said she'd die quickly, I was joking!!!! I SWEAAAAR! D: )

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:52:19 pm by Maxinum McDreich »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 08, 2012, 02:07:25 pm »

((I just realized, Aero has been invited into this womans house, invited into her bed, and he dosen't even know her name.))
((Most men wouldn't see anything wrong with that.))

The knight's eyes open in an instant, as if he hadn't been sleeping, only waiting for the right moment. He doesn't feel tired since he had little physical activity in the day aside from walking; his body should not be allowed to grow weak from idleness. The jacket, vest and shirt underneath are folded and kept inside his backpack, but the warrior keeps the chainmail and the cushioning shirt on his upper body as he sheathes his sword and stores his heater shield.

Talendir moves outside and starts to train, feverishly using fists, feet, elbows and knees to hit a wooden pole close to the hall. A soldier is only as good as his body; if it grows weak and frail, its owner is either killed in the battlefield or doomed to withering away and finally dying, deprived of his only job and source of incomes. That would not happen to him while if he happened to be able to prevent it.

Train direct combat during the night without bothering anyone nearby. Stay alert to any strange happenings.
>Yes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 08, 2012, 02:12:49 pm »

((The implications are less about him, and more about her. Unless she told him, and he wasn't paying attention))

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 08, 2012, 03:50:07 pm »

Sent reeling by the unexpected outburst, Sinterous slowly gathers his bearings and massages his temples. Glancing towards the ball of flesh, he stands and straightens his robes. Steeling his mind, Sinterous once again probes the abominable sphere.
"I shall not be so easily dissuaded. The inner workings of reality shall be as the open pages of a book!"

Probe the flesh-ball again. Try to acclimate to this unknown language.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 08, 2012, 07:09:41 pm »

((The implications are less about him, and more about her. Unless she told him, and he wasn't paying attention))
((Eheheheheheheheh.))
____

Derm

You continue to float near the ceiling, snoring softly. You dream of power sufficient to shatter worlds. At least, you do until a profoundly disturbing scream echoes through your mind, driving sleep from you entirely.

+4 HP
____

Aero

Lying down on the woman's bed as if you own it, you flex a few times while asking her why she really wanted you here. You hear her steps approach, stopping just beside your head. A moment later, you can feel her breath on your face as she leans in close.

"That depends. Why did you come here?"

As a shriek echoes through the walls of her home, her eyes widen, then narrow.

"As I said, it is much safer indoors, no?"
____

Lei

You project your mind through the stone walls, feeling for traces of other people [6] and feel two within your range, both somewhere above you. One is the blank slate-grey of sleep, though still shot through with traces of vibrant color. The second is a dull rust-brown, old beyond their years, stained with blood. You push farther, skimming for thoughts. [2] v. [5] The first's mind is enveloped in a perfectly opaque mental shield, resisting your efforts entirely. [5] v. [2] The second offers much less resistance, and you pick up slight traces of concern and preparation for battles to come, of determined awareness.

Scant seconds later, a horrid mental cry rips through the outer layers of your mind, one of the most profoundly disturbing things you have ever felt.
____

Talendir

Standing, you leave your shield and sword in the hall as you leave. You go through a few katas to warm up, then practice your blows on a stout wooden post. [5] You train for some time before noticing periodic flickers of movement from the corners of your eyes. Several times you turn suddenly, but the moment you attempt to view whatever they are directly, they vanish from your sight.

Your concentration on the darting shadows is shattered by a fell cry from the hills above, bringing with it old-yet-not memories as it washes over you.
____

Sinterous

Not one to be daunted by mere daemonic artifacts and brain-melting tongues, you again probe the flesh-ball, hoping that you've developed a resistance to the language uttered directly into your mind.

[1]

A great shriek, both mental and audible, echoes through the valley. The ball of flesh shudders and expands growing at a rapid rate, teeth digging into the stone and soil as new ones grow in their place. Large bones begin to form, falling into place as muscles and tendons sprout from the writhing mass. You step back, partly in horror, and partly to avoid being swallowed in the same manner as the altar and a pair of the standing stones. The runes still visible on the remaining stones and a corner of the altar glow with a sickly purple-orange-green light, as if everything wrong in every world ever conceived had been condensed into a single place.
____

((Eheh. Mwahahahahahahaaa!))

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36