Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: DnD Eberron, Using Maptool  (Read 31042 times)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DnD campain! woo.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 09:32:38 am »

It seems a little early to see if this even comes to fruition, but I hope it does, and if it does I'd like to claim a spot.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 10:15:05 am »

I'd like to tentatively claim a spot in this. I've wanted to play in Eberron for quite some time.

Regarding maps, you will most likely have to make them on your own. Maptools isn't the best map designer alone, but you can import images for background objects and make textured polygons; I think the best advice would be to just spend some time messing around with it and be prepared for a somewhat hefty time commitment.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 10:27:47 am »

* Please try to not railroad your games.

Watch out for this one. Most parties have huge motivation issues and you will need to railroad them to get anything done at all, and they will thank you for the railroading. Also it's really hard to come up with stuff on the fly. If you really are going to let the players take the reigns my suggestion is to have a few generic encounters you can fluff to be pretty much anything to throw at them to give you time to come up with the stuff they want to do.

Also, on maptools: Yes for the love of god yes use it it is a fucking huge pain in the ass but a system like D&D needs it. That said it is a... Well,  fucking huge pain in the ass, I suggest a test session. Cause it might take you days to get it to work. That said, no one cares about nice looking maps. I know that I and a few other GMs around here have spent hours lovingly crafting backdrops and shit, but the dirty truth is that no one really cares. So don't worry, the basic drawing tool is enough for backgrounds, and for enemy critters there are some really good downloadable resource.

Also I would rather play 3.5. But I am okay with 4.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:25:56 am by Criptfeind »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 11:32:46 am »

Also I would rather play 3.5. But I am okay with 4.
If there's a choice, I'd prefer 3.5e as well.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 11:39:50 am »

I'd be going blind into the setting, so I think I would enjoy it. I'll give it a shot.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 11:44:33 am »

Important things for players to know by the way: Starting level and Stat Generation. If the level start is above one we will need to know how to pick HP as well.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 12:11:10 pm »

And it also helps if you tell us beforehand about any limits on feats, sourcebooks, etc.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:01 pm »

As a new player to the D&D games (I've had plenty of experience with computerized versions, but not the acutal pen and paper games), and having played both 3.5e and 4e, I have found that 4th edition is a lot easier to pick up and play but 3.5e goes into TONS more detail and consequently has a lot more rules to learn. I love being a wizard in 4e but am terrified of being ANY spellcaster in 3.5 because of the sheer amount of spells. It's ridiculous how many there are, there is literally a spell for everything! And thats without going into the rules for spells...

Take my words as you will however. 3.5e seems more popular, but thats probably because of the sheer amount of books people have for it and just don't want them to go to waste.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 12:57:37 pm »

... there is literally a spell for everything! And thats without going into the rules for spells...
That's why it's so much fun for me! Playing a wizard and having your performance rely entirely on how well you predicted what spells you would need is awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 03:07:06 pm »

terrified of being ANY spellcaster in 3.5 because of the sheer amount of spells

Yes but you could probably limit the amount of useful spells per level to five and sometimes even two.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 04:18:58 pm »

Only if you aren't trying hard enough.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 04:41:05 pm »

You can find more than five useful spells/day/level in evocation; I've lost the count for conjuration. Of course, not allowing the Spell Compendium severely restricts that number and there are only a few spells which are truly gamebreaking (shivering touch, holy word, blasphemy, ray of stupidity, grease, rope trick, glitterdust, haste, teleport, wall of force, contingency, antimagic field, disintegrate, true seeing, mind blank, forcecage, wish, polymorph any object, shapechange, timestop, gate and the one spell no DM nor player ever dares to use, mage's disjunction, among others).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:09:28 pm by Azthor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 04:57:33 pm »

Wish isn't broken. It is basically a perfected Shadow Conjuration.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 08:03:11 pm »

In fact most of those are not broken. Maybe useful in certain situations, but hardly broken. And yeah, wish is not broken at all really.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »

In fact most of those are not broken. Maybe useful in certain situations, but hardly broken. And yeah, wish is not broken at all really.

I should have phrased that "circumstantially gamebreaking". For instance, wish alone isn't broken by itself, but if you throw in thought bottles... That is what Rule 0 exists for.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:07:40 pm by Azthor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12