Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What new feature would stop you updating your game?  (Read 21567 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: What new feature would stop you updating your game?
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »

Things that can bust constructed walls, rubble (without good uses for it), needing air shafts/lighting, all animals needing to be fed (I turn off grazing as it is), random mine collapses, realistic structural integrity (no longer being able to stack buildings on one tall pillar), common illnesses.

Common illnesses wouldnt be too bad, granted that there was actual medicine against diseases.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2012, 12:20:03 pm »

If, in the far away future, ASCII was disabled... I would stop updating.

I don't even care if it's full-blown 3d. Those floor tiles better have the textures of grey + signs or I'm not playing!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2012, 01:00:36 pm »

Explosive dwarven diarrhea.

Actually I think that would be a great idea as a consequence of dwarves being forced to eat unprepared meat, if nothing else was available. They should get sick for a while (which causes them to move slower, feel fatigued, sort of like going without ale), and then let out a blast that covers 1-3 tiles with 1/1 diarrhea. It should act as a contaminant, and any dwarves that drink diarrhea-contaminated water will also get diarrhea.

I would love to seal a dwarf in a 1-tile room and feed him nothing but raw meat and watch him drown himself in his own crap. It would be even funnier if it contaminated the well system of a large fortress...

ludsoe

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urst of Urstland
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2012, 01:56:57 pm »

If it ceased to be free  :P
Or if my computer could no longer handle it.

Same here.
Ludsoe has cancels life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

(Reserved for more stuff)

Glyndŵr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2012, 02:02:09 pm »

There are a lot of people expressing their legitimate concern about enemies digging into their fortresses. However, why not allow us to "fill in" the gaps created by the digging enemies with excess stone? It will cause the tunnels to disappear, making it look as if it had never been dug. It replaces the gaps with a "rough-hewn wall" that can be filled in and smoothed by stone detailers/engravers if you want to create a seemless flow of natural wall again.

It also puts all that damned stone to good use. Say, for instance, you're out exploring for minerals. Dig out the vein in a large mining effort, then just refill the room when you're done with it.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2012, 02:25:05 pm »

I'm always running out of stone
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2012, 02:28:29 pm »

Sigged.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »

So how do you mod out clothing--or at least the need for clothing--without having to outright add the [NOEMOTION] tag to your dwarves?

Adding [NOEMOTION] just removes too much of the fun for me. Dwarves aren't dwarves if they don't tantrum. Heck, at this point I'd settle for some way to mod out armor in general--I'd rather have to deal with goblins without armor than drown in stock screen clutter.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:40:58 pm by Callista »

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »

lol I am in a similar boat to a point actually. I tend to build a lot of surface constructed walls and such. The rocks littered everywhere have long ceased to bother me as clutter.

Edit: Except when like, I am filling a giant cistern with water. In that case I clear out the stone but only so I can use it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:16:52 pm by Viking »

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13:57 pm »

This is just gold
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2012, 07:17:46 pm »

Yeah.  :D I tend to have to designate massive quarries for whatever project I'm building.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »

Turtling in DK was just a slow death until you ran out of gold.
No, it wasn't, but it required a careful expansion and monitoring your resource generation capacity.

You could, for example, make and build and sell-back traps. This could provide more than enough gold to expand your force of creatures, provided you didn't try to raise, say, a force of very expensive dragons and vampires. (Trolls and Bile Demons work well for this plan - they're cheap, reasonably average power, and love to manufacture.) One of the deeper dungeon (expansion pack) missions allowed you to carefully dig out all but a single layer of gold, which the enemies would never dig out.

Inside that wall, you then built traps and doors for sale, and built up an army with the proceeds. It wasn't fast, but it was effective and infinite - provided you did not exceed your resource generation capacity (which wasn't that hard, since some traps like boulders were expensive). I'm sure you were SUPPOSED to deal with the enemy by funneling them through trap fields, but I much preferred weakening with traps and overwhelming them with a horde of fully upgraded trap-manufacturing monsters, bought and paid for with the sweat of their own brows.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2012, 10:36:41 pm »

I might have foregone updating if i'd known about this crap with the seed interrupts. Does anyone have advice on raw editing for that?

More in the spirit of the thread, I'd say anything that makes dwarves able to choose their own jobs. Though it would be fun to make a disposal for every hardcore fishery worker, that being a requirement would put a damper on my fun.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2012, 11:01:15 am »

I nearly reverted back to an older version after having to deal with dwarven ghosts.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2012, 12:40:12 pm »

I might have foregone updating if i'd known about this crap with the seed interrupts. Does anyone have advice on raw editing for that?

More in the spirit of the thread, I'd say anything that makes dwarves able to choose their own jobs. Though it would be fun to make a disposal for every hardcore fishery worker, that being a requirement would put a damper on my fun.

As has been mentioned in other threads, (and I can confirm from my personal experience), setting allowed barrels to 0 on seed stockpiles helps a lot. That way at least only bags will get hauled around, and it's likely there's another seed bag in the stockpile the planter can use. In any case, you should also be able to do a lot with changing the store item options in d_init.

(this section:)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, as the init file says, the current settings to combine items, especially seeds, are *way* more aggressive than prior to those init options (=prior to the hauling changes, I think).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:43:52 pm by Snaake »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7