Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What new feature would stop you updating your game?  (Read 21550 times)

Hamek McEisenfaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What new feature would stop you updating your game?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »

There would have to be some pretty serious and insane overhaul to make me stop playing. As long as the core gameplay is still "here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" then I'll likely keep playing Dorf Fort until I grow bored of it completely.
I truly hope you understand. I HAVE! to sig your line.
"here's 7 inebriated borderline psychotic bastards, go dig out a living space for 200 of them that will be coming soon btw there's also a terrible tentacle monster-panda made out of barf to deal with have fun" -PsychicKid

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 08:22:06 pm »

On topic, the only thing that might make me worry is if burrowing enemies could drill through walls, rendering all defense null.
YES

Its being added bro! Its being added!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 09:34:05 pm »

There are several nrw add ons i do not like.

1. Vampires, i think they ate poorly implemented

2. Clothing needs, though this may be moot once i master the clothing industry.

3. Stone drop rates in relation to ores.

But i am learning to adapt, i usually wait to upgrade when dfhack is updated.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 09:58:50 pm »

...Bolts don't use feathers.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:55 pm »

...Bolts don't use feathers.
All bolts/arrows/quarrels need fletching, which is usually feather.

On topic, there is nothing that would keep me from upgrading. I love everything that's been added. Pastures, once I figured out why my horses were suddenly dying of starvation, were an amazing addition. I love the beekeeping, I just wish the bugs were ironed out. Plus, there should be more stuff to make with wax. Like candles should lighting be implemented, or moustache wax, or weapon wax to keep weapons from degrading should that be added. I want tunneling enemies, so that my military needs to patrol. If they hear something tunneling in you could get a pop up, and decide what to do from there. Plus that way we could have giant savage moles and worms digging through soil and interrupting your soil farm chambers. Excrement just means epic sewers, and having to fortify them from savage creatures entering your fort through them. It also means fertilizer. And bleaching items to improve their value, like dying. Man, I'm getting excited just thinking of everything.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 10:26:09 pm »

Wait, they do? I was absolutely sure not.

Oh. I'm an idiot then, carry on.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 10:30:36 pm »

I feel like constructed walls should need serious siege equipment (and a fair bit of hammering upon) before they collapse. I think sappers should only be able to dig through soil.

On topic: I would hate it if the dwarves got unhappy thoughts at the sight of blood and vomit. I would have to flood the whole map every few minutes.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »

As long as I can mod the ethics of the dwarves to allow butchering of sapients, I'm fine.

You will _not_ take away my *goblin sweetbread roasts*!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:45 pm »

what would stop ME from updating? two words;

Dwarf poop.
I don't know, I've thought about the ramifications and needing to create sewers and the possibility to accidentally contaminate your watersources may add to the game then again I don't think anyone's ever complained that building a fortress is too simple.
you'd spend your whole 1st year designing a freaking sewer instead of farms, defenses and trade goods.

I think a septic tank is more likely.  Interferes with less space, which is at a premium underground and when you must dig everything out yourself.  Might break down waste into usable fertilizer over time, which is in keeping with the dwarven tendency to turn trash into treasure (and/or weapons).  And if you floor it with lever-controlled hatches, you know just where to put the fancy bedrooms, dining rooms and offices your picky nobles insist upon.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 07:02:54 am »

you'd spend your whole 1st year designing a freaking sewer instead of farms, defenses and trade goods.
At first your "fortress" is more or less a camp, there wouldn't be a reason to have anything more than a pit.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:09 pm »

Yea, I guess mods can always fix or exclude things like how invasions are optional.

I am not sure I like the idea of rock tunneling enemies but I would have to play with it first to decide. I would like the idea of enemies being able to dig in through soil and clay and soft stuff. That could be interesting.

I'd be open to having to worry about sewage myself, more so than buttons lol. Starting with a primitive privy to a more elaborate sewer of some sort. Imagine drowning your enemies in sewage for instance. Maybe if you can dry it out and use it as fertilizer. Then again I don't know if it wouldn't be more a pain than fun having your dwarves needing to run off to relieve themselves on top of running off to eat and sleep.

I've thought about needing to vent the combustion gases from the kilns and furnaces as in real life they can be rather toxic. It'd be kind of neat to need shafts to let out smoke to the surface that would allow for another mode of entry for invaders. It wouldn't be all too hard to block them off but still, another consideration for !fun! Suffocating invaders or your own dwarves with toxic smoke would also open up as an option.

I'm not sure how it would work mechanically. Perhaps like a more deadly miasma that flows like water up to the sky instead of down but unlike liquids smoke eventually would cool and or settle. It could suck up a lot of fps but I think would be rather neat. If you wanted to be more realistic you could set up an air intake to get a draft going through the furnace and smithy area but that may be impractical too as then you'd pretty much need to treat all air like a liquid and as I keep reading it liquid calculations take a lot of computation power. All that without even considering the temperature of the air. You could possibly get fans going to create the air flow too. Now I'm just dreaming maybe. It'd be awesome if Toady could cheat it in somehow efficiently. (This is what I get for studying power engineering)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 12:05:20 am »

Some sort of morality device.  If it detects that we are torturing children or farming mermaids for our amusment, it sends a siege.  Or we get conscripted into the circus.  Actually that last part might be fun...
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 12:10:12 am »

Some sort of morality device.  If it detects that we are torturing children or farming mermaids for our amusment, it sends a siege.  Or we get conscripted into the circus.  Actually that last part might be fun...

That would make it possible for me to get !!FUN!! without having to do stupid things... I want this, >.>
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:12 am »

I DON'T want anyone to take down my walls but me. Having an enemy dig through soil "could" be alright if they leave piles of dirt that I can refil.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:20 am »

That's a good point. I call that "creeper syndrome" in mine craft. Where your landscape is slowly and permanently disfigured by creepers blowing themselves up all the time. Over a long period of time it can ruin the look of a place.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7