Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407197 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3075 on: April 14, 2017, 11:07:58 am »

...Well now I'm just envious.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: April 14, 2017, 11:29:18 am »

I have a strong urge to apply hugs to Draignean right now.
Someday, he'll make a forum game so complex, it has rules for hug circumference and arm grip. Wait until then.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: April 14, 2017, 11:53:28 am »

Someday, he'll make a forum game so complex, it has rules for hug circumference and arm grip. Wait until then.
*DING* That's hugwang!
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:12 pm »

Here's a few pitches I plan on eventually doing something with:

A galactic criminal is hiding out on modern-day Earth, the government sends a number of agents in Earthling disguise to hunt them down. Possibly done in rounds, with the criminal having a different secret project each time. Players have the liberty of designing their operative and method of disguise.

Demons lurk inside the internet, and a chosen few fight them by combining video games with a certain spell to create avatars. Each demon has their own MO and methods for defeating it. Possibly the same setting as that spirits game I once tried to run.

Ambiguous large 1st world country. In times past, werewolves used to be shoved into asylums, but the government has been taking a more progressive approach. They are allowed to live in the general population, but under close supervision. Each werewolf is assigned a case worker who helps them live safely and secretly, and who is charged with "cleaning up" in the event their assignee is compromised.
All three concepts sound really interesting for sure, but the werewolf one piqued my interest the most. I'm not exactly sure why though. Maybe the idea of not having a character antagonist, but rather the werewolfism affliction, makes it stand out from the other two. Well actually, I guess for sure the duality of aiding the werewolf dudes live normalish lives and action/drama of something going awry is very appealing. It sounds like the police ideal to serve and protect combined with werewolves, but at the same time the game can take on plenty of other themes and tones. (I don't want to narrowcast the idea or anything, just went on a bit of a slight tangent.)

Have any thoughts on whether they'd be roleplaying or suggestion games? If roleplaying, I could see the first and second ones easily being competitive games with opposing sides and the third one possibly being either mission-based and focused on clean-ups or having players choose between taking the role of a case worker or a werewolf.

All RPs, for sure.

For the 1st, I suppose I could give the role of the criminal scientist to a player, but they'd have to PM me all their moves and probably not post IC until the climax.

For the 2nd, I'm thinking something more mission-based, with each demon being something that needs to be investigated, found, and confronted. For most of them I was thinking that the hunters would need to confront the demon from the computer of a recent victim, to avoid compromising their own security.

For the 3rd, I'm thinking there'd be equal numbers of werewolves and social workers, so that way everyone is paired up. Or perhaps 2 werewolves to 1 social worker.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: April 14, 2017, 12:28:08 pm »

Maybe you could have groups of three per werewolf: have one player as the werewolf's human side, another as the werewolf's animal side, and another player as the agent.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: April 14, 2017, 12:31:36 pm »

How about each player plays a werewolf AND an agent? Doesn't have to be the agent of themselves.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: April 14, 2017, 12:41:26 pm »

Maybe you could have groups of three per werewolf: have one player as the werewolf's human side, another as the werewolf's animal side, and another player as the agent.
I don't think splitting one character between two people in a non-SG is a good idea.

How about each player plays a werewolf AND an agent? Doesn't have to be the agent of themselves.

Could be a thing, though I don't know if separate pairs would be interacting with each other as much as the werewolves interact with their social workers, so it might not allow for as much RP activity.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: April 14, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »

I don't think splitting one character between two people in a non-SG is a good idea.
But it's not one character?  It's the humn, and the wolf.

For bonus points, human-side and wolf-side can talk to eachother.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: April 14, 2017, 01:26:31 pm »

But it's not one character?  It's the humn, and the wolf.

For bonus points, human-side and wolf-side can talk to eachother.
Especially since they'd probably vie for control over the body and have conflicting goals.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: April 14, 2017, 01:48:29 pm »

Could be a thing, though I don't know if separate pairs would be interacting with each other as much as the werewolves interact with their social workers, so it might not allow for as much RP activity.
How about the players control their werewolf while they're human, and the agent while they're wolfin' out? Also, who ever said it had to just be werewolves? What about dryads, liches, harpies, skeletons, etc?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: April 14, 2017, 02:05:34 pm »

How about the players control their werewolf while they're human, and the agent while they're wolfin' out? Also, who ever said it had to just be werewolves? What about dryads, liches, harpies, skeletons, etc?
Because that's more "Area 51/MiB" stuff and less analogous to helping people live with a disability?

And again, splitting it that way might work, but when they're human, that still means people would have to handle both sides of the interaction themselves. Whereas having different players interact as agent and patient gives them more RP to do.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: April 15, 2017, 04:42:03 am »

I have been doing statistical research about what kind of games I'm good at. As GM, I mean. I have pretty good idea already, but that's my subjective opinion. Empirical research is needed to confirm that.

So here's a straw poll link. Pick what you think are my three best games.

Links to all my games are here. You'll notice few games missing from the poll, but that's because I consider those to be failures by all metrics. Didn't like them, didn't last long and so on.

So instead of wasting time and effort in future designing and running games I suck, I can focus where I'm already good at and produce better games.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: April 15, 2017, 04:42:59 am »

Is there any good tile-based map creator anyone can recommend?

At the moment I'm toying with a game that involves an XCOM-like base-building mechanic. I did something like that before, but it was through judicious use of select, layers, and the fill tool in paint, which is not something I want to go through again. All the stuff I've found so far is clearly meant for things such as D&D. I could theoretically use them for the base-building, but the goal is to just display a simple map of large tiles, where each tile represents a large amount of space. Some rooms take up one tile, some take up two, and the rare room may even have some kind of funky shape. And the programs I've found don't really do to well with my intentions, apparently.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: April 15, 2017, 05:14:49 am »

At the moment I'm toying with a game that involves an XCOM-like base-building mechanic. I did something like that before, but it was through judicious use of select, layers, and the fill tool in paint, which is not something I want to go through again. All the stuff I've found so far is clearly meant for things such as D&D. I could theoretically use them for the base-building, but the goal is to just display a simple map of large tiles, where each tile represents a large amount of space. Some rooms take up one tile, some take up two, and the rare room may even have some kind of funky shape. And the programs I've found don't really do to well with my intentions, apparently.
Tiled, maybe?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: April 16, 2017, 01:05:51 am »

Not sure if doing your maps in ascii is something you'd go for, but Rexpaint might be worth a look either way.
Also works great with our "local" tilesets, though getting additional / non-standard tiles into the mix, would be a bit more work than just replacing a pic.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 238