Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407986 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2550 on: February 10, 2016, 09:39:46 pm »

You could make Orcs the middle child, jack of all trades, which might be why they aren't succeeding as well as the other three, have Dwarves primarily use technology, and humans primarily use Spirits. *shrug*

Hmm. I've never been overly fond of a race being "like the others, but not so much".
Dwarves aren't really advancing, but they're not going back, either, and that sort of static endurance doesn't really fit with them having the most technology.

Spirits by themselves are too limited to really base a civilisation on in the ocean of stars, as well, so tech allows an alternative to demons in some cases they'd otherwise lack.

I want to make a game where the primary gimmick/feature is lag. Almost certainly strategy game, but basically, it takes a turn to receive reports and a turn for orders to reach their targets. So your orders are based on the orders you gave last turn, and the report you just received, which should help inform how this turn might go, and you send orders based on how you think it should go now.

This applies to both your opponent and you. It's sorta about OODA loops, and how chaotic battles really get when you don't have perfect communications, but mostly I think it's a neat idea.

My first idea was for it to be space-ship battles, with speed-of-light limitations causing the lag, but fantasy or medeival could work pretty well. I would need to keep unit mechanics fairly simple, and make positioning important, for it be effective, and I couldn't easily do it as part of a larger strategy game without slowing down 'overworld' game too much though, which makes me wonder how I can really balance it at all effectively, or have more than like two players. :/
That does sound interesting, though more of a 1v1 sort of thing rather than a big thing with lots of players.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:02 pm »

Player versus Player, most likely. Possibly Team versus Team, though that would get complicated fast and I would feel uncomfortable about the possibilities of spying on the enemy's orders.
So, you PM the players their reports, they PM you their orders- and perhaps messages to other players, if it's more than two?-, they post confirmation that their PMs are done in the thread, and then you post the results that would be known to everyone in the thread?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: February 10, 2016, 09:49:06 pm »

Hmm. I've never been overly fond of a race being "like the others, but not so much".
Dwarves aren't really advancing, but they're not going back, either, and that sort of static endurance doesn't really fit with them having the most technology.
Yeah, I wouldn't really go for a fourth race just because "there's usually four races." Technically there's room for desperate outcasts if you wanted to exile something to the barely-livable ice reaches, but with elves handling the raiding they wouldn't really be doing anything.

Thoughts? Do you know of any good god game systems I could use? I kinda see this as a Cyberpunk God Game, just replace gods with CEOs. :)
I do not know of any god game-ish systems, though RTD is nice for a certain level of hilarity.

My first idea was for it to be space-ship battles, with speed-of-light limitations causing the lag, but fantasy or medeival could work pretty well. I would need to keep unit mechanics fairly simple, and make positioning important, for it be effective, and I couldn't easily do it as part of a larger strategy game without slowing down 'overworld' game too much though, which makes me wonder how I can really balance it at all effectively, or have more than like two players. :/
Given that chaos and copious amounts of "oops" are the intent, I wouldn't worry too much about balance. Making a lot of area-based targeting and forced movement could result in a lot of hilarity, where you try to barrage an enemy position and a different enemy shoves you into your own field of fire, or a different enemy yanks your target to safety not knowing you were about to do his job for him.

You're right that it'd have to be simple, though, and not just for GM sanity. The idea is for the delay to cause all sorts of problems, not the base mechanics, which tends to work best with a bunch of simple parts that keep piling up in interesting ways.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: February 10, 2016, 10:00:40 pm »

Player versus Player, most likely. Possibly Team versus Team, though that would get complicated fast and I would feel uncomfortable about the possibilities of spying on the enemy's orders.
So, you PM the players their reports, they PM you their orders- and perhaps messages to other players, if it's more than two?-, they post confirmation that their PMs are done in the thread, and then you post the results that would be known to everyone in the thread?

Yeah.

Fog of War based on time, rather than space. Way easier that way. Although maybe both, that might be interesting.

I'd had an idea like the area-based targeting for a slightly different game, and I could definitely see how it would apply here/have to be used here. The forced movement I hadn't thought of, but seems like a really good idea.

Also a distinct forbidding of conditionals, for GM sanity and the spirit of the game, I think.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 18, 2016, 02:55:43 pm »

Depends on the SG.

There's no reason why they can't be, but SGs have the issue of holding interest tends to be pretty difficult.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 18, 2016, 06:35:18 pm »

Depends a lot on the specifics, in both instances. If you wanted to share we might be able to help in more detail.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2556 on: February 25, 2016, 03:57:09 am »

I'm thinking of doing a Tank Gladiators thing where future gladiators crew dated armored vehicles (1910-1950) in arena battles with different objectives. The fights end when all the crews on one side are dead, which means that occasionally battles can degenerate into dismounted combat. I'd probably aim for things to be somewhat simple.

Gun/Range table to determine your penetration value. X is the gun, Y is the range you're engaging at. Cross reference to find how many d6 you roll.
If you roll over the enemy's armor value for that part of his tank, you pen him, then consult the round's properties along with where the shot was aimed to see what dice you roll to determine internal damage. If not, it bounces.
HE shells don't roll pen, they just explode, and depending on the size of the shell versus the weight of your armor: your crew is stunned -> tank's external components are damaged -> the vehicle is thrown -> the vehicle is obliterated.

The players are either citizen volunteers who have privilege, or they're experienced and lucky gladiators who have earned the right to ride tanks by surviving. The slaves and criminals upon their initial entry sometimes act as tanks' infantry support.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 25, 2016, 10:39:40 am »

If our tanks survive battles, can we upgrade them?

Can we board an enemy tank and drive around two tanks (on one team)?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2558 on: February 25, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »

Yes.

Do you know how the range would work?
I want to avoid having to make a map, so I'm thinking that a tank has a fixed speed (50 meters/turn for example) and can add or subtract that to his range to a target at will. That would probably work for a 1v1, but with multiple tanks on a battlefield it would become too much to manage. I'll probably be forced to make a map and measure meters in pixels.

If our tanks survive battles, can we upgrade them?

Can we board an enemy tank and drive around two tanks (on one team)?
You can modify them as much as you want. Your crew is given a chassis and expected to maintain it. If your chassis isn't ready in time for a tournament then you're forced to act as infantry for that run as punishment. If you're popular enough you won't have to worry about that. Sponsors will try to keep you alive and inside the most expensive tank money can buy.

During a battle there are no rules, so you're free to leave your tank and board another one. And there won't necessarily be just one tank per team. It depends on the scenario.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: February 25, 2016, 02:59:33 pm »

So very interesting.
But what if it wasn't restricted to 1900s tanks, but rather to player-designed and built armored vehicles?
Like Wacky Death Race. But not a race.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2560 on: February 25, 2016, 03:00:58 pm »

So very interesting.
But what if it wasn't restricted to 1900s tanks, but rather to player-designed and built armored vehicles?
Like Wacky Death Race. But not a race.
Too much work. Real tanks can be quantified and their stats are easily available online.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: February 26, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »

I rise this thread from the watery depths to ask a question. I want to run a relatively simple in mechanics d20 game.

I'd like your thought on the initial lore for it. Does this sound interesting? Do you have any suggestions?

Ocean of Stars, Fantasy Space Exploration

Long ago, the mortal races lived on a single world - the shell of the great earth goddess, Teryavere. But when her heart was broken, so deep was her grief that her very body broke and scattered to the heavens. The mortal races were cast out into the void - but they persevered, building ships that sailed the Ether and colonies to rebuild what was lost.

Life is preserved by the binding of spirits and demons, who provide gravity and air, heat and fertile soil. Such binding are possible through mana, mined from the rock or through the blood rituals of the elves.

It is a tumultuous time, but great profit and power can be seized by those willing to sail the Ocean of Stars...

Remember this?

Boom.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: February 28, 2016, 05:06:16 am »

Hello! I've come to show a game/setting idea I've been working on (for a long time, actually, on-and-off, but today I decided to work out a basic system). Let me know what you think/if there's interest.

Transhuman Solar System Shenanigans
Or; DH is still poor at picking good working titles

Welome to Sol! A century or two from now, humanity has spread, scattered and fragmented across our native system. The solar system hosts no unified empire to lead Mankind to the stars, nor does it have any center in Earth.  A bewildering variety of societies and cultures of Man, Machine and whatever strange beings they've created and uplifted to sapience co-exist in the light of the Sun, and in the dark reaches of the outer system, thousands of 'echoes', abandoned or simply isolated ships, stations and colonies wait to be plundered by those brave enough to breach them, and the attempts of said societies to find their way or just to struggle for power and influence generate enough troubles and opportunities to keep a million other ambitious souls busy.

In this time and place, augmentations and implants are everywhere, with all the consequences that implies. Players will step into the shoes of these brave new breeds of Transhumanity and its creations, seeking power, fame, glory, vengeance, answers, enlightenment, etc. and face all the marvels and secrets left lying about the place. Players are encouraged to go wild with their characters and their place in the world - an ordinary team might be composed of:

-A hard-as-nails cyborg cowboy from Mars.
-A shared mind community inhabiting the body of a teen girl.
-A petite, androgynous human with enough hidden armaments to level a city.
-A hovering, many-tentacled robot squid searching for the base code of God.
-A clone drifter embittered by memories of her countless deaths over the centuries.

Or such. A fuller backstory and overview of the world is below, as well as general mechanics things and other info.

This is a fairly soft scifi setting - I'm no scientist. Inspirations include; Dan Simmons' books, the Culture books, Hannu Rajaniemi's Quantum Thief books, Deus Ex and various cyberpunky things, and probably many others.

Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Overview (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Classes/Affinities (click to show/hide)

This is all a bit rambling and such, but if you read it, I'll appreciate it. Suggestions, questions, comments welcome.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: February 28, 2016, 05:31:13 am »

Hello Eclipse Phase

More serious, that does look interesting.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: February 28, 2016, 05:35:16 am »

Funnily enough, I'm not familiar at all with Eclipse Phase other than a vague awareness of similar concepts and themes. I don't really mind - they're also in the books and other inspirations I mentioned. That said, I probably should get familiar with Eclipse Phase, it might be right up my alley.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 238