Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407922 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2520 on: November 18, 2015, 07:10:40 am »

I'd also prefer the larger tiles
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:14 am »

So I'm working on a thing and need vague artistic advice.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Specifically, how large should I make the tiles? There's not going to be combat on them or anything, so it's mostly just for flavor, but I'd obviously like that flavor to look as good as possible. Ideally there'd be character sprites idling around in there somewhere, but to date I've been unable to draw any that look presentable.

Well.. talking from a pixeling point of view, the "old" choices, are the right ones. 16x16 or 32x32 gives you a very nice number of tile-partitions possible, wich translates into easy floor-tile-tiles, and easy wall-brick-tiles. So even if you don't want to do pixeling as-it-is, I'd recommend you to do a multiple of 8x8, for those easy-grab, neat symetrical tiles.

There's also the added effect of untold variations existing of these common sizes, which means you can oogle some easy inspiration in regards to how others have done it.

I'd also prefer the larger tiles
Anything larger than 32x32 - with 1024 possible pixels inside- becomes veery tedious to work on, especially if it still ought to look nice. So making the map in 16- or 32-tiles, and enlarging it to 2-5x larger size for "the upload", has always worked best for me.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: December 22, 2015, 06:10:09 pm »

Can anyone here draw? I need a mapmaker. Someone who can add and take away gradual detail did my god game.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154914.0
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: December 30, 2015, 03:42:40 am »

You know, my interest in Nomic type games has re-surged recently, and its been a decent amount of time since Bay12 has hosted one. So here's my question. Would anyone be interested in a game of Nomic? I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask. I'm also not sure If I would run it myself but I'm severely tempted. In any event, it'll probably take me a little while to have a rule-set prepared. If you are interested, I'd appreciate any advice you could give when it comes to initial rules for a forum variant. I'll look over the past games first of course, but any suggestions would be nice.

Edit: Its probably too soon to expect a response, but this is what I have for initial rules right now. They're pretty bare bones to begin with, but I'm honestly hoping for a game with lots of room for shenanigans/chaos. They're fairly loose, but strict enough that reasonable players won't want to modify the initial rules without a good reason. There's enough rules for there to be a game in the first place, in any event. I guess the chief fault is that it expects reasonable players.
Spoiler: Initial Set of Rules (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:47:06 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: December 30, 2015, 09:16:49 am »

So Nomic type games are about voting to change rules?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: December 30, 2015, 09:35:55 am »

Basically yeah. Or create new rules, or remove rules, and so on.

Edit: Have a link to the last game here that lasted a decent amount of time. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125695.0

I'm still not sure whether my introduction of buildings was good or bad for that game overall.

Edit x2: Sadly one of the problems with nomic games in this format is that often times they can be hard to read, as people refer to rules that either no longer exist, or have been changed since that point. I'll be sure to avoid that problem if and when I run a game. A little bit of google work should give you more information, but here's the origin of the game, as far as I'm aware. http://legacy.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/nomic.htm

Edit x3: Made a few more modifications.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:05:24 am by Person »
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

slathazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 02, 2016, 05:29:46 am »

You know, my interest in Nomic type games has re-surged recently, and its been a decent amount of time since Bay12 has hosted one. So here's my question. Would anyone be interested in a game of Nomic?

My interest in Nomic remains fairly high, although my ability to sink time into projects is entirely scant. My interest remains, however.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 02, 2016, 10:12:02 am »

All right, it begins. Here's a link to the game.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 14, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »

So, uh, I had an idea.

Would there be any interest for a FEF game that's been beaten with a crowbar so hard it starts to look like Half-Life? I'm not planning on running this just yet, but I want to make sure there's interest before I begin wrecking homebrewing and reflavoring a FEF handbook.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 14, 2016, 09:39:53 pm »

There's always demand for FEF games.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 15, 2016, 06:02:35 am »

I would be quite interested. I have never played half life, but I'm in a bunch of FEFs.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 15, 2016, 07:34:11 am »

I might be interested, but I've never been in an FEF and have only skimmed a few of the rule books, so if I do try to join expect plenty of nooby questions.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: January 15, 2016, 07:42:06 am »

FEF veterans are generally very good about helping out newer players, you'll be fine.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 15, 2016, 12:21:23 pm »

I was told to repost this here.
Spoiler: Deception (click to show/hide)

Originally from here.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 15, 2016, 12:27:45 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 238