Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407337 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2340 on: August 15, 2015, 01:52:13 pm »

Oh, that may have been a problem. You can do it as a regular post, or you could do it as someone calling into a late-night radio station. Either way is fine.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 16, 2015, 10:35:13 am »

I mean, what sort of necronomicon game would it be?  Would you be an apprentice necromancer who descouvered the fabled tome?  Would it be a take off of The Evil Dead, in which you have to recover the necronomicon to be able to defeat the evil army?

Yes the titles cool but... well a title isn't everything
Nom nom nom

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 16, 2015, 10:37:41 am »

The title, I would argue, is actually the least of it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 16, 2015, 10:43:59 am »

And thus the idea of a necronomicon game has died, it's bones scattered in the sands of the wasteland.
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 16, 2015, 12:01:37 pm »

I am intending on starting a game of pbp pathfinder, and currently debating which of the following it should be:
1.Standard dungeon crawling style adventure, most of the game will take place in various dungeon encounters scattered throughout the land as the players fight all manner of beast in their quest for coin.

2.More open world style of adventure in which the PC's can go into dungeons, but they can also just take jobs to hunt things down, perform in taverns for money and all manner of other things.  Less direction, more player input as to what they do.

3.Kingdom building, start off with a handleful of bp but no land to build it on.  Work to clear and claim a part of the wilds, attract settlers and go from there using pathfinders kingdom building rules.  Intermitten adventuring thrown in to keep it interesting.
Nom nom nom

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 16, 2015, 12:04:06 pm »

Maybe a mix of 2 and 3?

Also, having just bought The Witcher 3 and enjoying the hell out of it, I think it'd be cool if there was some game on the forums in that setting. Unless it was freeform, I probably couldn't be the one to run it, but just a thought.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 16, 2015, 12:06:10 pm »

And thus the idea of a necronomicon game has died, it's bones scattered in the sands of the wasteland.
And thus the idea for Tomes was born...

Lo, it be the modern age.
Lo, no magic to be seen.
Lo, the Twelve resolve to seed the earth with magic once again.
Lo, Twelve people have received Tomes of magic regarding one "affinity".
Lo, life gets difficult.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 16, 2015, 12:10:56 pm »

Maybe a mix of 2 and 3?

Also, having just bought The Witcher 3 and enjoying the hell out of it, I think it'd be cool if there was some game on the forums in that setting. Unless it was freeform, I probably couldn't be the one to run it, but just a thought.
The witcher setting using pathfinder rules would be pretty cool.  The characters most likely wouldn't be witchers mind you as I've tried to think how you'd handle that well and couldn't think of anything that would do it well.   The settings do of course give way for normal humans to be on witcher levels of skill, with magic and the trained forestmen that are present in the first two.  hmmm... shall need to ponder this now keep the suggestions coming!
Nom nom nom

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:43 pm »

Well, as a class a Witcher could simply be a warrior with a few magic abilities. But if you can't think of anything for that, maybe the characters are Witchers in training, who haven't done the Trial of the Grasses yet? Then that would explain Witcher-level skill, without the magic abilities.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 16, 2015, 12:18:50 pm »

There is also that in the books witchers weren't always 'warriors' exactly, usually they knew how to fight but not at exactly the same level as the games.  So a trial of grasses, and other mutagens later on could allow for character advancement that's not reliant on levels only.

What was more of an issue is the reagent system that the witcher games use, it'd be a bit of book work to keep track of all the plants and parts people gather but it could be largely abstracted away I'd imagine.
Nom nom nom

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: August 16, 2015, 12:20:33 pm »

Yeah, maybe instead of specific plants, group them into plants that do the same general thing. For example, healing plants are one category, poisonous plants are another, and so on.
Sigtext!

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 19, 2015, 04:21:20 pm »

I kind of want to attempt another game on here, in modified D&D 3.5e, with the basis of a planet-traveling Stronghold that acts as a player's everything, with Diablo-level story (as in, almost none at all).  There be no town, just an inter-dimensional merchant living on the stronghold, who sells components and labour, but not any actual items, so the players would need to upgrade the Stronghold in order to actually get things they wanted.

(In my head, I've been calling it "Poorly Thought Out D&D.")

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 19, 2015, 10:23:22 pm »

I kind of want to attempt another game on here, in modified D&D 3.5e, with the basis of a planet-traveling Stronghold that acts as a player's everything, with Diablo-level story (as in, almost none at all).  There be no town, just an inter-dimensional merchant living on the stronghold, who sells components and labour, but not any actual items, so the players would need to upgrade the Stronghold in order to actually get things they wanted.

What tier would the players be?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:44 am »

I've been doing some extra rules for a different campaign, but I'd probably just lift a semi-gestalt thing from it.  Tier 1=banned, Tier 2=normal, Tier 3=gestalt with lower tier.  Classes are considered the Tier they are rated the highest for on "the list."  I literally haven't done anything else in regards to this idea, and I would definitely want to have rollcharts for monsters and subquests.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: August 20, 2015, 04:01:11 pm »

I've been doing some extra rules for a different campaign, but I'd probably just lift a semi-gestalt thing from it.  Tier 1=banned, Tier 2=normal, Tier 3=gestalt with lower tier.  Classes are considered the Tier they are rated the highest for on "the list."  I literally haven't done anything else in regards to this idea, and I would definitely want to have rollcharts for monsters and subquests.
Could we gestalt with a monster class? I.e. Troll X ll Fighter Y?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 238