Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407245 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2310 on: July 25, 2015, 12:53:39 am »

After a Zelda / Shadow of the Colossus binge, now I want to make an ISRPG drawing on elements of both with the ultimate goal of achieving a "lone adventurer" sort of feel.

Unfortunately, my real talent lies in making GIFs out of stock images and I'm not exactly the best at drawing with or without a mouse, but the sort of feel I want to evoke isn't precisely easy to achieve with text or stick figures.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: July 25, 2015, 01:29:09 am »

After a Zelda / Shadow of the Colossus binge, now I want to make an ISRPG drawing on elements of both with the ultimate goal of achieving a "lone adventurer" sort of feel.

Unfortunately, my real talent lies in making GIFs out of stock images and I'm not exactly the best at drawing with or without a mouse, but the sort of feel I want to evoke isn't precisely easy to achieve with text or stick figures.

How about pixel-art then?
There is enough freeware out there, as that you would certainly have no problem with tiles & decor, same goes for "monsters" and n/pc material. Take http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/ as a good example, and  http://www.pixelprospector.com/royalty-free-graphics/ as a library. Provided you are inclined as such, but I guess a look won't hurt.

You could also use some rpgmaker. Set down the "landscape" that you want, and take screenshots of it. Has been done before.
While that would restrict you to "their" system, once you have a decent set-up besides the ~40 over-used starting monsters, you can "pump out" stuff pretty quickly.

Or, you go the "homemade" way. Bay12 is very forgiving in terms of art, especially if you make it yourself. Pixel art, is actually a good place to start.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: July 25, 2015, 02:21:42 am »

Not too sure where to ask this so I'll post here. If I had to choose to run either Vampire: The Masquerade or Vampire: The Requiem, which one would be better mechanically?

Also, anyone have any idea if a WH40K Black Crusade/Rogue Trader game would be workable on a forum?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: July 25, 2015, 04:14:53 am »

Not too sure where to ask this so I'll post here. If I had to choose to run either Vampire: The Masquerade or Vampire: The Requiem, which one would be better mechanically?

Also, anyone have any idea if a WH40K Black Crusade/Rogue Trader game would be workable on a forum?
I have no experience with the first one so I can really comment on those, but I can say that Black Crusade or Rogue Trader game would certainly work on the forums. Black Crusade generally ends up playing more like some kind of sci-fi epic about the bad guys so its fine. On the other hand Rogue Trader might be difficult if you started including a lot of the content from some of the expansion/supplement books like planet colonization, and management.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: July 25, 2015, 04:52:54 am »

I actually just found out about those vampire games. I read in TvTropes that The Requiem was more streamlined or something, but I've never played either, or even read the books.

WH40K roleplaying games will definitely work, just as they do for D&D games. I ran Dark Heresy for a while here.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: July 25, 2015, 06:22:52 am »

I have no experience with the first one so I can really comment on those, but I can say that Black Crusade or Rogue Trader game would certainly work on the forums. Black Crusade generally ends up playing more like some kind of sci-fi epic about the bad guys so its fine. On the other hand Rogue Trader might be difficult if you started including a lot of the content from some of the expansion/supplement books like planet colonization, and management.

Difficult as in the players wouldn't be able to handle it or because of the extra calculations/knowledge required.

EDIT: The only supplmenents I have that add any significant crunch are Into the Storm and Battlefleet Koronus.
EDIT2: I'm thinking of a possible campaign where the mission is compete against a team of  heretics (and/or Tau) in converting the system. Does that sound any good?
EDIT3: Alternatively, a Masquerade game made up of fledglings (i.e new vampires) and a mentor-npc set after one of the game's many apocalypses. No one is quite sure which one actually happened since their memories all got erased and those who remember are Malkavian/became Malkavian. I.e, crazy vamps.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:00:22 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 01, 2015, 04:31:44 pm »

Crossposting from Roller's Block:
Originally I wrote this up in the "Games you wish existed" thread in Other Games, but I realized these ideas would probably work pretty well as (an) RTD forum game(s). I original wrote them up as single-player, but they could just as easily be multi-player games.
Alright, what if you had some sort of top-down RPG where you're a wizard or whatever, and, to cast spells, you need to collect spell components. And different spells would use some of the same components in different quantities, so you'd have to ration out your usage of certain spells. You'd collect components out in the world, or, if need be, you can just buy most of what you need in a shop. And there would be combat spells and utility spells, so you could decide if you want to fireball some enemies or just turn invisible and sneak past them.

Alternatively, or just as a different game, instead of collecting spell components, it could be a game about using ambient mana. So there would be mana of various types in whatever area you're in; the world would be made up of zones of various kinds of mana at different levels that can be tapped while you're standing in them. Very rarely will you be in a place without some sort of mana. So you don't need to ration, like with spell components, but you are limited to casting spells that use whatever sort of mana is present in the area you're currently in, and the ambient mana levels of the necessary types need to be high enough to match the requirements of a spell.

One final alternative: Spellguns. The player would have a magic gun capable of firing spell cartridges, which are basically just ready-made spells, which they can buy or just find around the world. And these, like the others, would come in battle and utility forms. And you might be able to find or buy different spellguns that either enhance certain spells (some very specialized guns may only be able to fire certain spells or types of spells) or apply modifiers to all spells fired from them, in addition to variants capable of firing multiple spell cartridges before needing to be reloaded. And you might eventually be able to learn to make your own spell cartridges from basic components, which would take time but allow you to have more customized loadouts and allow you to make things like bullets that instantly kill their target (though they need to be made with something taken from the target to work, and might even have a limited-time use).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 01, 2015, 05:12:11 pm »

Crossposting from Roller's Block:
Originally I wrote this up in the "Games you wish existed" thread in Other Games, but I realized these ideas would probably work pretty well as (an) RTD forum game(s). I original wrote them up as single-player, but they could just as easily be multi-player games.
Alright, what if you had some sort of top-down RPG where you're a wizard or whatever, and, to cast spells, you need to collect spell components. And different spells would use some of the same components in different quantities, so you'd have to ration out your usage of certain spells. You'd collect components out in the world, or, if need be, you can just buy most of what you need in a shop. And there would be combat spells and utility spells, so you could decide if you want to fireball some enemies or just turn invisible and sneak past them.

Alternatively, or just as a different game, instead of collecting spell components, it could be a game about using ambient mana. So there would be mana of various types in whatever area you're in; the world would be made up of zones of various kinds of mana at different levels that can be tapped while you're standing in them. Very rarely will you be in a place without some sort of mana. So you don't need to ration, like with spell components, but you are limited to casting spells that use whatever sort of mana is present in the area you're currently in, and the ambient mana levels of the necessary types need to be high enough to match the requirements of a spell.

One final alternative: Spellguns. The player would have a magic gun capable of firing spell cartridges, which are basically just ready-made spells, which they can buy or just find around the world. And these, like the others, would come in battle and utility forms. And you might be able to find or buy different spellguns that either enhance certain spells (some very specialized guns may only be able to fire certain spells or types of spells) or apply modifiers to all spells fired from them, in addition to variants capable of firing multiple spell cartridges before needing to be reloaded. And you might eventually be able to learn to make your own spell cartridges from basic components, which would take time but allow you to have more customized loadouts and allow you to make things like bullets that instantly kill their target (though they need to be made with something taken from the target to work, and might even have a limited-time use).
The first and second ideas sound interesting.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 07, 2015, 05:17:42 am »

ptw sorry for uniformative post.
Nom nom nom

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 07, 2015, 05:46:47 pm »

Would anyone be interested in playing a Suggestion Game where you take turns playing the members of a garage band consisting of supernatural creatures?

The emphasis of the suggestion game, based off the Monsterhearts system, would not to have it result in victory but in interesting stories. The players would be encouraged to play the characters like stolen cars: you can't keep them, so drive fast and have an interesting car crash when you play them out.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: August 07, 2015, 08:36:55 pm »

Had an idea for a suggestion game. You are a lighthouse keeper during the civil war. You aren't really affiliated with the war itself, and your lighthouse resides on the border between the sides, on the union side. I feel this would be interesting to play as a "cabin fever" type horror game, where you gradually become unstable due to isolation and stress because of the war. I'd like for there to be monsters and things similar to that, but have it so you aren't sure if they are real or not, along with the very real threat of being caught between two sides of a war, and having to deal with the soldiers from both sides of the conflict. Sound interesting?
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 07, 2015, 08:43:43 pm »

That's interesting. It reminds me of a horror game I really liked, Knock-Knock. I say, go for it. Though, I'm not sure how you should balance being isolated with being in contact with both sides of the conflict. Are they signaling you with morse code, perhaps?

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 07, 2015, 08:45:59 pm »

Nah, your isolated, but they just occasionally come along to where you are. More of a chance meeting than actual contact.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 07, 2015, 08:47:27 pm »

And sometimes, you'll be wondering if the soldiers are real, or if they're also figments of your imagination...

Maybe have things start out being real most of the time, and then the imaginary things get more and more common as the character slowly goes insane...
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 07, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »

And sometimes, you'll be wondering if the soldiers are real, or if they're also figments of your imagination...

Maybe have things start out being real most of the time, and then the imaginary things get more and more common as the character slowly goes insane...
Yeah, this in a nutshell. I'm thinking of placing this in New Jersey, unless there's a location that's closer to the border and to the sea. Ideas?
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 238