Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407026 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2070 on: February 19, 2015, 03:37:25 pm »

RP, most likely. Sort of an urban fantasy adventure.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: February 19, 2015, 03:39:04 pm »

Do the players control both or is it a sort of "You can have the easy route to your goal but if you do the demon gets more control and if it gets all the control... Bad times for you"?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: February 19, 2015, 03:47:57 pm »

The players create and play two characters each, a human and a spirit/daemon/whatever name. Humans in the know tend to distrust and hate spirits, and spirits tend to think of humans as unclean/inferior/dangerous, so the partnerships are very rare and probably require some kind of personal understanding or friendship.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: February 19, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »

Hm... So what's the upside and downside of using the demon spirit thing? The downside seems to be eventual death as far as I can tell. Is that it?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: February 19, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »

Wouldn't it be better to have a player for human and another for spirit rather than have one handling both?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: February 19, 2015, 03:59:58 pm »

Yeah, like I said, it needs more development. Currently the major downside is if they host for too long, they burn each other up (when not being hosted, the daemon/spirit/whatever would probably just follow their partner around most of the time). The partnership would probably have some kind of long term effect on both of them, resulting from cumulative effects of multiple hostings, though I have no idea on what those effects should be.

Wouldn't it be better to have a player for human and another for spirit rather than have one handling both?
But then there'd need to be umpteen players to make sure everyone has a partner, and people would be stuck waiting on their partner to post.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: February 19, 2015, 04:06:13 pm »

Yeah, like I said, it needs more development. Currently the major downside is if they host for too long, they burn each other up (when not being hosted, the daemon/spirit/whatever would probably just follow their partner around most of the time). The partnership would probably have some kind of long term effect on both of them, resulting from cumulative effects of multiple hostings, though I have no idea on what those effects should be.

Maybe each hosting or every X hosting they take on some features from the other?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:02 pm »

Maybe, though I'd be inclined to make that X a relatively large number. I was also thinking that, on the human side, it might have an effect on lifespan, either positive (gets more and more energy in their system, lives longer) or negative (every hosting burns them out a bit more, cumulatively shortening their lifespan), but I can't decide which.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 19, 2015, 04:14:55 pm »

But then there'd need to be umpteen players to make sure everyone has a partner, and people would be stuck waiting on their partner to post.
Or one plays both human and spirit, but is the spirit of another player? But then it may get messy...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 19, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »

The players create and play two characters each, a human and a spirit/daemon/whatever name. Humans in the know tend to distrust and hate spirits, and spirits tend to think of humans as unclean/inferior/dangerous, so the partnerships are very rare and probably require some kind of personal understanding or friendship.

Why friendships? Why not a powerful sense of adversity?

What if, for instance, the partnership is a method of imprisonment and humiliation thrust upon by the spirits by their betters, and while a spirit is obligated to follow the commands of their host when they emerge, they follow them to the letter rather than as intended? The spirit can have its own objective, perhaps a condition of their permanent release that is unknown by their host.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: February 19, 2015, 04:41:43 pm »

Because that's not the theme here. It's not so much people summoning spirits and binding them as servants, but people coming across them and they decide to work together for whatever reason. Either one of the other or both can have an agenda, and the power boost provided by hosting (and having an ally/friend who can do stuff they can't) helps them further it.

For the partnership to occur, there's a wall of alien-ness and/or prejudice that has to be bridged first, and the hosting thing needs mutual trust to work properly, so friendship and/or mutual self-interest seem like the most likely motives by far.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: February 19, 2015, 05:02:22 pm »

Because that's not the theme here. It's not so much people summoning spirits and binding them as servants, but people coming across them and they decide to work together for whatever reason. Either one of the other or both can have an agenda, and the power boost provided by hosting (and having an ally/friend who can do stuff they can't) helps them further it.

For the partnership to occur, there's a wall of alien-ness and/or prejudice that has to be bridged first, and the hosting thing needs mutual trust to work properly, so friendship and/or mutual self-interest seem like the most likely motives by far.

Unintentional adversity, then. Call it a cultural mistranslation. The spirits mean well, sure, but there's only so much you can expect from someone largely unfamiliar with human biology, customs, ethics, parlance, morality and/or basic logic.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: February 19, 2015, 05:04:18 pm »

So, it kind of like with the one dude in Dragon Age?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: February 19, 2015, 07:06:54 pm »

One day I shall have to sit down and play all the Bioware stuff that came after NWN, so that I can get these references people keep making.

Which is to say, explain?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: February 19, 2015, 07:14:34 pm »

Um... from what I remember Anders is a mage and one day he was wandering about doing his thang when he found a dead body or somethin. It was possessed by one of the spirits of the world, who's schitk was justice. Anders happened to be real big into equal rights for demon magnets blood mages in training Mages so he let justice possess him. And then he blows up a church later on.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 238