Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407086 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2055 on: February 15, 2015, 06:11:14 pm »

Ok, if anyone needs me I will be watching people kill eachother
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: February 16, 2015, 09:22:08 am »

Taw had one for a while, so I wouldn't see why anyone else wouldn't have one aswell
Still do. So does mastahcheese.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: February 16, 2015, 06:06:54 pm »

Hey, question, going with dynamic damage (You get your leg shot off, it's gone and you limp now.) What would be a good rule of thumb for damage... Dispersal? Making it too much would give one turn obliterations while making it too long would have 20 turns later against a basic mook.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: February 16, 2015, 06:09:21 pm »

I'm making an alternate way of generating characters for a roleplay I'm planning. The character creation system is inspired by Maid RPG , Fiasco, and this episode of Being Everything Else.
The player has three memories and two quirks: a personal quirk and a weird quirk. These are all rolled for on a table. Let's talk about memories first.
Memories are short sentence fragments which represent an essential part of your character's life in three separate stages. Since the genre is Urban Fantasy, the categories are Normality (A moment, special or mundane, from your character's old life), Descent (The moment when your character started suspecting that something was up), and Nadir (The point where your character cannot turn back from the paranormal).
I haven't fully decided if this is a good idea, but one of the memories has to be shared with another player, which means that you would both have the same memory as the other. This means the two characters are linked by a singular event.

Quirks are either simple explanations of what your character can do (You're good at shooting, you have connections, etc) or the oddities of your character (You have a compulsive need to be near people, you have a pair of antennae). For the former, I roll on my own table, and for the other I use the Metamorphica.

The job of the players from there is to fit the pieces together to make a character. It seems to generate psychotic lunatics, mutants that are so horribly deformed they couldn't function in any society, or a combination of the two. This is exactly what I intended, since the players are meant to be on the lowest rung of the underworld and stuck doing jobs that are too dirty, too crazy, or simply beneath those higher on the chain.
Here's a few characters I managed to generate. Without memories being linked, of course.
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)

What do you guys think? Interesting? Any criticisms?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: February 16, 2015, 06:14:02 pm »

I think it sounds wonderful actually.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: February 16, 2015, 06:30:25 pm »

Hey, question, going with dynamic damage (You get your leg shot off, it's gone and you limp now.) What would be a good rule of thumb for damage... Dispersal? Making it too much would give one turn obliterations while making it too long would have 20 turns later against a basic mook.
Depends on how exactly you are handling damage, but you could have it so that severe wounds cause people to bleed to death if they go untreated for too long (for the case of a leg getting shot off, I would probably have it take two turns at most to bleed out). Not sure how exactly I would run the numbers though.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:15 pm »

Depends on how exactly you are handling damage, but you could have it so that severe wounds cause people to bleed to death if they go untreated for too long (for the case of a leg getting shot off, I would probably have it take two turns at most to bleed out). Not sure how exactly I would run the numbers though.
What I mean is I want to get some good challenge going but I don't want bullet sponge enemies, basically, I mean, you find a skeleton, you punch said skeleton, let's say you get a good roll on that and succeed, how much damage should that punch have done? Or, what about a shotgun against an armoured guy? Should that punch through his armour or knock him down with some heavy bleeding?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:43 pm »

What I mean is I want to get some good challenge going but I don't want bullet sponge enemies, basically, I mean, you find a skeleton, you punch said skeleton, let's say you get a good roll on that and succeed, how much damage should that punch have done? Or, what about a shotgun against an armoured guy? Should that punch through his armour or knock him down with some heavy bleeding?
I think this is one of those "make something up, see if it works" type deals. Just remember that players will typically be exposed to this system far more often than skeletons, and are therefore typically hurt more by arms flying off in bloody arcs.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: February 17, 2015, 11:32:27 pm »

I had a fun idea today: a one-shot, one-quest D&D game where all four of the players are 1st level commoners and have to do... something? Not sure what yet. Probably involving killing things.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 17, 2015, 11:33:23 pm »

Play a prank on the butler at a local lord's manor, with potential for escalation (that will likely get them killed).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 17, 2015, 11:43:59 pm »

Local pig is on the run. Catch him!

Somebody stole a loaf of bread from Sam's shack. Find the culprit! It was probably Tom the drunk or Phil the eight year old. Pat the goat can't be ruled out entirely, but Sue thinks she saw him on the other side of town, so he'd have had to complete a twenty-foot dash to pull it off unless that was Mullberry the goat.

There's rats in Old Mary's cellar. Not giant rats, just regular ones. Mary refuses to let cats onto her premises, and insists that you don't harm her antique doilies. She also can't abide lemon, and insists that the problem with today's generation is a lack of discipline. You see, in her day...
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: February 17, 2015, 11:48:44 pm »

...Perfect.

TO THREADMAKING

and yes, before you ask, no chicken-infested

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: February 17, 2015, 11:55:40 pm »

Speaking of high-mortality games about peasants, I've been working on an entirely revamped edition of Foot Soldiers. I've gone through every chapter and fundamentally restructured the book. I've also introduced a more setting-appropriate monetary system and rebalanced prices, as well as many new armors. I've added a new skill, Willpower, and tightened a lot of the rules. Once it's ready, I think I'll resurrect Dueling Blades, because I still have all the maps I worked on that never saw the light of day, and I still quite like the concept behind it. Otherwise I might write an adventure module and do a test run of it on Bay12.

The old Dueling Blades thread is here if anyone is interested in seeing the concept. Basically two teams of four begin on opposite sides of a dungeon that goes through a mountain, at the center of which is unimaginable wealth. They are competing to get there first, and then defeat the other team. There are also some important twists along the way.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: February 19, 2015, 11:45:36 am »

Had an idea kicking around my head for a game where the players form a bond with a spirit/daemon. The pairs work together as a team, and the spirits/daemons have the ability to go into their host's bodies to greatly enhance both their abilities, but only temporarily, since they'll both burn up if they do it for too long at a time. Beyond that, though, I dunno. The idea needs a lot more development before it can be used.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 19, 2015, 03:34:06 pm »

I believe there was a game centered somewhat around that. Is there anything in particular the game is supposed to be themed about? Combat, roleplay, tactics etc?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 238