Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407252 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1875 on: December 15, 2014, 04:11:15 pm »

So this looks fun. And it comes with a character generator for it.

Would anyone be thinking of running a game of it?

I don't know if anyone will run this but if they do count me in too
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: December 15, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »

So I found out about a Kickstarter project called Last Year, an FPS with the story of the classic 80's slasher films: stereotypical high school teens are hunted down by a crazed killer, and must use their various abilities as a team to outwit the killer, or they get torn to pieces. It's a very long-term project, so I have no idea on the success of the actual game, but it has got me hype enough to think up some mechanics for a Forum Game:

Spoiler: Last Year (click to show/hide)

Just a rough draft, but I think it has the potential to be lots of fun. Thoughts?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 16, 2014, 12:08:45 am »

It looks pretty cool.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: December 16, 2014, 12:09:26 am »

Just a rough draft, but I think it has the potential to be lots of fun. Thoughts?
Looks awesome. I'm curious how all of this would play out mechanically; for instance, what exactly "can stand toe to toe with the killer for a while" means. Good HP? Some kind of Armor-like stat? Stamina they can blow for temporary dodge/stunning counterattack boosts?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: December 16, 2014, 12:19:43 am »

@TCM- I would play that, I've been looking for forum games to play so if you open it up I would definitly join
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: December 16, 2014, 12:32:00 am »

Looks awesome. I'm curious how all of this would play out mechanically; for instance, what exactly "can stand toe to toe with the killer for a while" means. Good HP? Some kind of Armor-like stat? Stamina they can blow for temporary dodge/stunning counterattack boosts?

Usually I stay away from HP Systems, but for this type of game I'm thinking of incorporating them. For combat scenarios, I think that the Killers would receive a bonus to combat rolls since they are the Killers after all, while the combat-oriented Jock would receive his own bonuses, just not to the same level. Let's say that this means that the Killers get a +4 to Combat, while the Jock gets +3 to Combat, which means that he isn't at the same level as them, but he would still stand something of a chance if he gets good rolls. The Support in that case would get say a +1.

I'm thinking that for all abilities to come into play, rolls are done for the following category of actions by any player, Killer and Survivors alike:

Combat - What happens in a fighting scenario. Offensively determines how good an attack was, defensively determines how good a dodge was.
Agility - How fast the player is moving, if a Killer rolls higher than a Survivor then they get a Combat Roll.
Perception - A move to look for supplies, traps, objectives, Survivors or Killers, depending on the situation.
Stealth - How silent the player is, if Stealth roll is lower than an opposing Perception roll, the player is discovered.
Electronics - How able the player was to use an electric device, especially important to the Nerd.
Medicine - How able the player was to use medicine, especially important to the Medic.
Construct - Only available to the Goofball, but I've also thought about Killers being able to make their own traps, or perhaps just a specific Trap-specializing Killer class...

Do you guys think it would be better to know what Class a Killer is during the start of the round, or keep it a secret until the Survivors either discover the Killer or figure out what type of Killer they are dealing with based on clues?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: December 16, 2014, 12:34:00 am »

Don't let them know right off the bat.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: December 16, 2014, 12:48:49 am »

Also, you need to figure out a way to run the game so charcters can disappear and die without the others noticing. Nothing says horror like your friends all disappearing without a sound, one by one.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 16, 2014, 12:53:46 am »

Do you guys think it would be better to know what Class a Killer is during the start of the round, or keep it a secret until the Survivors either discover the Killer or figure out what type of Killer they are dealing with based on clues?
I'm generally in favor of letting them know. It's a bit less atmospheric, but not telling them gives a blank spot in their decisionmaking at the start of the game that's probably not really conducive to anything.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: December 16, 2014, 01:00:23 am »

Also, you need to figure out a way to run the game so charcters can disappear and die without the others noticing. Nothing says horror like your friends all disappearing without a sound, one by one.

The major problem with that is the meta-issue of posting: Won't you realize that someone is dead if they suddenly stop posting? You could always try to stay in role as character, "Huh, I haven't heard from Jessica in a long time, I wonder where she is?" but as a player you'd realize, "Oh, Playergamer isn't posting, that means Jessica is dead. Time to rework my strategy accordingly..."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: December 16, 2014, 01:03:16 am »

Make it exclusively via PMs.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: December 16, 2014, 01:10:02 am »

PMs are a lot less entertaining for everyone involved.

Theoretically you could try to get the players in on it via fake posting; ie the cheerleader getting knifed but continuing to post pretending to be alive and well. That'd probably be overelaborate, though, and work better with some players than others.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: December 16, 2014, 01:19:22 am »

That is the dilemma when trying to make a public forum game isn't it? If the Survivors split up into Group A and Group B, Group A might decide not to go down a certain hallway because they know from reading the whole turn that Group B is being chased by the Killer at the end of said hallway.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: December 16, 2014, 01:32:28 am »

Seperate everyone's actions and put them in spoiler tags + the honor system?
It's FEF, not FEOF

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: December 16, 2014, 01:35:47 am »

Seperate everyone's actions and put them in spoiler tags + the honor system?

Huh, maybe...

Spoilers, if done this way, would be separated based on groups. So in the example I listed before, Group A and Group B would each have a spoiler, since everyone in the same group would be aware of what everyone is doing. If a single person split off from the main group, then they would get their own individual spoiler just for them.

But at the point where everyone's actions are secret from one another, why should the game be public in the first place? Well, I suppose non-players would be able to keep track of everything happening. But still.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 238