Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407335 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1800 on: November 09, 2014, 04:47:47 pm »

Any advice for showing and not telling? And how basic are we talking? A basic outline of the initial story, or a detailed explanation of the room you're in.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 09, 2014, 04:57:53 pm »

Basic: New York City. This bustling hub of commerce and tourism showcases the best and the worst that the American people have to offer. Industry Moguls work their craft, lovers enjoy summer days with each other, and charities allow the less fortunate a place to sleep for the night to avoid the cold nights. The nights are the worst for most. Drug dealers, gang violence, rape, and murder are but some of the more palatable activities that occur on a nightly basis. It is at night where you thrive. For most the term "Vampire" brings to mind cheesy science fiction movies and sparkly men in impossibly tight pants.

For you the term vampire brings to mind your daily job. You are forced to take to the dark streets and hunt your fellow man in order to stay alive. Every death prolongs your life for just one more day. The eternally burning thirst forces you to take to the street. It forces you to hunt. Etc. etc.

It sets up the tone, the location, and who you are. Let them be a new vampire. Let them discover rules for themselves.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 09, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »

Thanks, Nerjin! That's a good level of detail to start off with.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 09, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »

Hey, no problem. I'm a literature professor* [just ask Tiruin] so I'm always happy to help people with writing.

*I am not, actually, a literature anything. I can barely write my name.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: November 09, 2014, 11:09:00 pm »

What do you guys think about a game where the main character has split personality disorder and all game decisions are one of the fiver personalities actions?
The personalities would be like; rage-brute, calm- peace keeper, inteligent- observation, melancholy- pessimistic, and happy- optimistic.
There would be five choices for any action and maybe a couple combined actions in certain curcumstances.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 10, 2014, 01:02:18 am »

Dunno... sounds kinda... enclosed? Not much room for creativity. The concept sounds cool, though.

I had an idea for a game: a homebrew RPG where the players play themselves, any way they see fit, as adventurers seeking a series of MacGuffins before an ULTIMATE STOCK VILLAIN and his crew of STOCK LACKEYS can get them. There would be a lot of surreal stuff going on, references everywhere, and generally wacky stuff happening. The system is based on on I used in an ISG one time where each person has seven scores, Agility, Alertness, Intelligence, Vitality, Strength, Willpower, and Charisma, each rated with a die instead of a stat. The GM rolls the character's die for the skill, then sees if it beats the opposed roll (for interpersonal checks) or a target number (for environmental checks.)

Spoiler: Combat blathering (click to show/hide)

Sound fun?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 10, 2014, 08:02:33 am »

Ya it's a bit closed but it would definitely allow for me to have a set story line to run or set things to happen for each choice (*caugh choose your story type game *caugh). Though I may add a sixth,"Wild card" option where it would be a player submitted action, and like normal SGs it would be popular vote for what action to take.

@Tawarochir- That sounds like a fun game. I would play it, if I felt confident that I wouldn't immediately die from stupid choices.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 10, 2014, 09:31:27 pm »

I don't suppose anyone plans to run another 3.5 DnD game soon?
I really wanna use my new Dragonfire Adept, Crusader, or Sorcerer and almost none of the games I'm in are updating. D:
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 10, 2014, 10:22:49 pm »

I really wanna use my new Dragonfire Adept, Crusader, or Sorcerer and almost none of the games I'm in are updating. D:
I just want to run a wizard once.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 10, 2014, 10:45:27 pm »

... I'm so glad you came by. I needed gall for an alchemical experiment and you apparently have it by the god damned wagon full.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:11 pm »

... I'm so glad you came by. I needed gall for an alchemical experiment and you apparently have it by the god damned wagon full.
What was that you called bile?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: November 11, 2014, 02:39:21 am »

I've been pondering doing a game heavily based upon the You are a new God suggestion game, one of my favorite ones.
Of course, I probably wouldn't be able to do writing quite as nicely as was done in that topic, but it would at least be legible. The game itself would probably be a bit simpler as well. Since there's a decent amount of god games, inactive or not, what would people think of this?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: November 11, 2014, 03:33:04 am »

Does anyone know of any good names for a game where you gain power by eating other peoples' souls? Soul Eater is out of the question because that is the name of an anime.
Nixon Simulator 2014
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 11, 2014, 04:19:38 am »

Does anyone know of any good names for a game where you gain power by eating other peoples' souls? Soul Eater is out of the question because that is the name of an anime.
Nixon Simulator 2014
Canon.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:48 am »

Recently I wanted to get back into forum gaming and one idea that was lurking around my head was a suggestion game where the players control an otherwordly eldtritch abomination/elder god/demon, influencing mortals to eventually enter their realm and conquer it.

Basically Dungeon Keeper meets That Which Sleeps. Might be a bit too large in scope for all I know but whatever. I'd gladly listen and probably accept any ideas to expand on this rather rough and admittedly not exactly original concept. ;p
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 238