Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407280 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1815 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52:19 pm »

Apparently nobody's running a new 3.5. :(

Recently I wanted to get back into forum gaming and one idea that was lurking around my head was a suggestion game where the players control an otherwordly eldtritch abomination/elder god/demon, influencing mortals to eventually enter their realm and conquer it.

Basically Dungeon Keeper meets That Which Sleeps. Might be a bit too large in scope for all I know but whatever. I'd gladly listen and probably accept any ideas to expand on this rather rough and admittedly not exactly original concept. ;p
Sounds neat! I'd participate.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: November 11, 2014, 11:02:08 pm »

So I've recently been gaining an interest in more flavorful, RP-centric games, like Isle of the Young Gods, Runners of Hyperion, and what Reclaim a Wizard's Tower! seems to be shaping up as.

Anyone have any advice on running such a thing? Opinions on the form/style in general? If you're not a fan or just never got into them, what keeps you out?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: November 11, 2014, 11:12:22 pm »

So I'm thinking of starting that game with the crazy multiple personality main character.
I need help with what personalities he would have. He needs 5, though in some cases some of them will work together or a spontaneous (player choice) would pop up as an option for that turns action.
Currently I'm thinking of using;brute, calm, happy, sad, and logic as his main personalities.
The game would be an SG story line where the players decide on which personality takes control for each turn but don't actually decide what the character does (though by choosing you know what is going to happen just the players don't get an option on what the action actually is for each personality)
Any suggestions for the 5 personalities? Which ones I should change or just keep them as they are.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 11, 2014, 11:24:41 pm »

So I've recently been gaining an interest in more flavorful, RP-centric games, like Isle of the Young Gods, Runners of Hyperion, and what Reclaim a Wizard's Tower! seems to be shaping up as.

Anyone have any advice on running such a thing? Opinions on the form/style in general? If you're not a fan or just never got into them, what keeps you out?
I personally haven't been in one of those, most likely because if there's over one page I just skip over it. As I have my settings on 50 PpP it's a good rule of thumb.

Anyways, I think a tip you should take is letting the players make up things. But make sure you moderate it to fit with what you have planned. For example, if they roll a knowledge check they should be able to state a fact, if it's wrong, it's wrong, but if it's right then it's right. Again, moderation is needed for that. But over all that should let players get more invested in the world. Also, being able to make up their class/flavor their class how they want also helps.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 12, 2014, 01:09:43 pm »

So would anyone be interested in a dungeon crawling game where players each play a class who has three flavor choices that have impacts on what they can do with the class? I have an idea for one already.

Spoiler: Commander (click to show/hide)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: November 12, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »

First off, the enter key is your friend. Hit it twice to help seperate what you're saying a bit better.

The Commander. They hold the team together and give them buffs. What people don't know is that commanders normally have the buffs otherwise. Yes, commanders have huge passive buffs but are easily overwhelmed. Which is why they help their team before themselves. They come in three flavors.

So they have low health, but are massively buffed. However they can give these buffs with their team yes? That's what I got anyways.

The Prophet, these commanders get their buffs straight from the big guy, their personal buffs aren't as good as others but they make up for it by being able to heal without sacrifice and being able to preform great feats granted by their god.

So the cleric class in basic. I would like to hear a bit more about what you think "great feats" are.

The Leader, these guys split their buffs with their team. While their teams buffs are weaker they also have someone who can wade into combat and show WHY they are the leader. They can preform feats of might to terrify their enemies and inspire their allies.

By split you mean... Like a Dragon Shaman is constantly giving buffs to themselves AND their team but that the buffs granted are slighly lower than the prophet or strategist? You mention feats again. This seems like a term you should define.

The Strategist, these guys lack their colleagues strength but make up for it in their tactical strength, to them their allies are the most important people on the field. This shows when they point at an enemy and they poor soul is turned into a pincushion. They can preform meta feats meaning that once per dungeon they can peacefully resolve an encounter and gain the loot from it. (Meta feats don't give XP)

You don't really explain what this guy does. His allies are important and he points to an enemy who is instantly destroyed... I'm not getting it. Please explain a bit more.

If you mean he can call targets which allies then get a bonus to attack then... Well the other two seem much better by comparison though I'd need to actually see the system to be sure. However when you take into account that their feat of whateverness actively punishes the party... I would never want to play with one on my team. You should punish players for using an ability that is intregal to their class.

I'm not seeing how these are all one class that is split into three subclasses. They appear to have distinct play styles that none of the others share at all.

That being said I think you should expand on the classes a little so that we can see what they are fully. Just some ball park numbers. At least get the system into place.

Other than that I can't really add anything.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 12, 2014, 02:18:45 pm »

Feats are things that can be done at certain points, for instance, the prophet's feat would be something like what happened with Jericho or the parting of the Red Sea. Of course they aren't always that powerful but they always change the tide of a battle. Everyone would get a feat and ideally at least one could be used every dungeon.

Anyways, I apologize for being kind of undescriptive since I'm on my phone right now. But the strategist is intended to give their allies the best and most versatile buffs. And yeah, their feat could use some buffing. Maybe 75% of the XP for them.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: November 12, 2014, 09:18:48 pm »

If you penalize your players for using their ability they will not use the ability unless they are under very dire circumstances.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 12, 2014, 09:23:10 pm »

If you penalize your players for using their ability they will not use the ability unless they are under very dire circumstances.
It's mostly intended to be use so you don't get extra damage or other unpleasantness from the battle. Anyways, I'm reworking it right now to give a different reward and some XP along with the loot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: November 12, 2014, 10:28:19 pm »

Revision of commander class number one:  The Strategist, these guys lack their colleagues strength but make up for it in their tactical strength, to them their allies are the most important people on the field. This shows when they point at an enemy and they poor sod is turned into a pincushion. (Their allies are the ones doing this for clarification. I figured that was pretty obvious…) They can perform Meta Feats meaning that once per dungeon they can peacefully resolve an encounter and gain a special reward from it. (Meta feats give ¼ XP)

Also, something completely new for them!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: November 19, 2014, 07:13:33 am »

Ok so im thinking of doing an RPg kind of game but im unsre of what setting to use.
Old fashioned Vikings
Or space traveling mercenarys in the future?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 19, 2014, 07:18:25 am »

Civ 5 rp?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 19, 2014, 06:36:17 pm »

Nope :P
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 238