Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407336 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1770 on: November 02, 2014, 06:14:31 pm »

Hm. I think I will, then.

I was going to build it myself but use random encounter generators. How high above the player levels would you recommend?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 03, 2014, 02:28:24 am »

Alright, so I've been brainballing an idea for a week or so.  Kind of different from what you'd really expect from a forum game, given that it'd lend itself to... literally no roleplay.  On the other hand, it wouldn't really be a lot of dice rolling.  Which kind of makes me wonder why I'd even think of running it as a forum game, but I think it could work.  S'anyway, the idea was inspired from a handful of other games and ideas.

First thing that inspired it is the Action-RPG genre (specifically Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile, et cetera.)  Mowing down dozens of enemies without thinking, just throwing down in the thicket as if the enemy doesn't matter.  I've always enjoyed that idea; slaughtering mooks weaker than you.  Unfortunately, forum as an environment doesn't lend itself to that, instead pitting the players against reasonably challenging encounters that aren't too different in numbers.  The primary proponent to what I believe prevents this is a proper way of conveying the surroundings to the players, but that wall has been knocked down several times by several people and proves that even simple illustrated depiction can go a long way.  This is, unfortunately, the biggest wall for me; I have no artistic talent whatsoever, no familiarity with any art program at all, and no idea where to start on making this happen (other than making pixel creatures because pixel art is comparatively easy.)

The second thing that inspired it is the ISGs ran here; a great deal of variety in setting, although the setting for this idea would be necessarily limited (would need a simple "automatic enemy" to fight against, and "automatic allies" to shop from.)  Surrounding that, the story could easily be expansive, with many sidequests to do and zones to explore.  Anyway, what I get from ISGs have been mostly from Evil Lincoln's games; a top-down view, with a lot of minions running around doing things.  Changing the minions to enemies and having a focal hero would be quite simple, just using Evil Lincoln's games as examples; almost all of the work would be in terrain and the hero's "animation" pictures.

The third inspiration was actually the hollows of my own mind.  I enjoy level progression.  I enjoy it too much, in fact.  So I want to stick leveling up into everything.  The character, the character's title, the character's class, the character's equipment, the character's skills, the character's reputation, the zones, the bosses, the towns, the NPCs.  Everything.  With that as the final preface, here's a rough sketch of what I mean:

Adrian, the Underdog, Boxer.

Adrian gains stat points on level up.  These stat points only affect his attributes (which would be simplified into Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Spirit.)  The attribute points will mostly only affect his likelihood of hitting, his likelihood of dodging, his physical damage, his health pool and his energy pool.  Seeing as I said we'd be reducing dice rolls, the hit chance would just reduce his actual damage by the chance he has to miss.  Similarly, his dodge chance would reduce the actual damage he takes.  In an ISG format, this is going to be basically the same as what he'd do anyway, as if we extrapolate the number of attacks he makes over time, it should effectively end up in a damage rate equal to just reducing the damage by the chance to miss.

the Underdog.  This is his title.  Titles should gain some minor bonuses that grow when increasing in levels, with perhaps higher levels gaining very low amounts of new bonuses.  A fairly minor effect, seemingly unnoticeable throughout the game, but providing real bonuses.  For the Underdog in particular, the title should grant bonus damage, hit chance, and dodge while at least 5 enemies are nearby.  Since that would be all the time, except versus certain bosses (or maybe none at all!), the title itself would be useful for most of the game.

Boxer.  As the class, this should have the most fundamental passive effects.  Yes, passive effects, not skills.  With the class, I'd introduce a passive ability tree, allowing players to pick how the class plays out for them.  Perhaps one of the passive abilities sections would have chances for an additional attack whenever Adrian attacks.  Maybe another section would be gaining a defensive buff every time he's hit.  Maybe the class itself would have better single target damage, but less efficient versus large numbers, making his title his main tool for dealing with groups but a killer for bosses.  This could be portrayed as "50% fewer attacks per round, but every attack increases your attacks per round by 1%.  This buff is removed whenever the Boxer changes target."  In 50 attacks, you're hitting more often than normal, and that is unlikely to take much time to reach.

Then we'd cover Adrian's skills.  He can choose a skill every 5 character levels, but his choices are extremely limited (at least seemingly); he'd be able to select Strike, Dash, Guard, Orb, and Summon, for example.  As a Boxer, he's particular about hitting things in close range, so he chooses Strike.  At fifth level he chooses Guard.  What these do at the start is very limited; Strike is just a double strength attack, useable once every two seconds or so.  When the skill levels up, he can choose a few different categories to morph the skill, randomly selected from a list; in this instance, he could have Pyro, Cryo, Rapid, and Debuff.  Pyro and Cryo would be related to dealing damage from those two elements (fire and cold), with effects "Deal 2-5 Cold Damage," "Deal 3-5 Fire Damage in an area," "Enemy is set on fire, dealing 2-4 Fire Damage per second."  Rapid would be related to increasing his attack speed and move speed after using the ability, or closing the distance on the enemy, or generally just speed related effects.  Debuff could have a tree for adding Stun duration to the ability, as well as reducing the target's defence, hit chance, and so on and so forth.

His equipment could gain levels too, gaining Diablo 2-esque Prefixes and Suffixes (and a randomized name after 3 or 4 -fixes.)  What I mean by this is weapons can gain -fixes that add differing kinds of damage, lifesteal, manasteal, bonus to hit, debuffs, and so on and so forth.  Armor would gain greater defence, damage block, damage return, resistances, and so on and so forth.  Of course, why stop at just equipment gaining levels?  Let's go ham, and give equipment sockets, and then make randomized items that gain levels (until they're used) that can be inserted into sockets.  Because ham is delicious.

Leveling zones would increase the chances of unique monsters appearing and general rewards (which would be a lot of work for the GM).  It would have some effect on the strength of the zone's minions, but a very low one.  Leveling bosses would be similarly improved, and offer greater rewards.  Leveling towns would mean more quests and better defences (so if a zone periodically attacks the town, leveling the town would make guarding it unnecessary.)  Leveling NPCs (such as hirelings) would make them stronger, although they'd never gain the same benefits from a level that the player would.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 03, 2014, 07:22:36 am »

[...]

Congratulations - you have just described a management and balancing nightmare.

You probably enjoy Disgaea and Elona... those are non P&P games. i have tried creating one, but failed, because it has over 90000 characters of Initial rules and disclaimer.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 03, 2014, 05:47:39 pm »

So over on the Ye Gods OOC I came up with an idea for an enforcer for the god I'm playing as and I'm thinking of making it its own game.  I still don't have a good name for it.

The players play as a special human soul. The soul can generate its own body and regenerate it if it's damaged, so long as it's not destroyed completely. It gains Soul Energy by absorbing souls. It absorbs souls by killing their bodies. It uses Soul Energy to both generate and regenerate its body, but eating is much more efficient for regeneration. Eating only helps with regeneration and does not help in creating an entirely new body.
To create a new body, its old body must be discarded. If it gains enough Soul Energy (read: hundreds of thousands of souls) it can create a body that would rival an archangel's in power. It starts off only enough Soul Energy to make a basic human body.

The motives of the soul will be completely up to the player. I'm also unsure as to whether it should be set in the same universe, a generic fantasy land, or perhaps maybe a more modern era. This would be my first game so I'm not sure what kind of stats or dice I should use. Help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:50:54 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 03, 2014, 07:58:16 pm »

[...]

Congratulations - you have just described a management and balancing nightmare.

You probably enjoy Disgaea and Elona... those are non P&P games. i have tried creating one, but failed, because it has over 90000 characters of Initial rules and disclaimer.

Actually, initial rules would be all but nonexistant, the disclaimer would take care of everything, balancing would be mostly irrelevant because intended as an ISG (implying one character), and the management issues would be all contained in gear, which could probably be chopped down to deal with.  Even after you deal with all that, it's still an easier game to manage than D&D.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: November 03, 2014, 10:47:09 pm »

So over on the Ye Gods OOC I came up with an idea for an enforcer for the god I'm playing as and I'm thinking of making it its own game.  I still don't have a good name for it.

The players play as a special human soul. The soul can generate its own body and regenerate it if it's damaged, so long as it's not destroyed completely. It gains Soul Energy by absorbing souls. It absorbs souls by killing their bodies. It uses Soul Energy to both generate and regenerate its body, but eating is much more efficient for regeneration. Eating only helps with regeneration and does not help in creating an entirely new body.
To create a new body, its old body must be discarded. If it gains enough Soul Energy (read: hundreds of thousands of souls) it can create a body that would rival an archangel's in power. It starts off only enough Soul Energy to make a basic human body.

The motives of the soul will be completely up to the player. I'm also unsure as to whether it should be set in the same universe, a generic fantasy land, or perhaps maybe a more modern era. This would be my first game so I'm not sure what kind of stats or dice I should use. Help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry that I can't really help much but that sounds like a fun game.
PM me when you get it put up on the forum.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 04, 2014, 07:31:45 pm »

We have a few talented pixel artists around here, as judged by the fantastic Pixel Art Collaboration game. I was thinking of running a Picture War game here back in the past and I think a few people have before. Picture Wars is a popular forum game (With it's own forum and everything) where people make armies then draw them fighting each other in a turn-by-turn basis, usually without a gamemaster. I made some plans, but decided against it because asking people to make a whole army seemed like a hassle.
More recently, I was trying to think of how to do a Don't Starve roleplay. Survival is the main goal, with gathering food and constructing shelter being a very big thing. It would have to be a very simple system, so I came up with everything focusing on time. Plants grow, people starve, etc. However, it wasn't quite strong enough on it's own.
So, I decided to mash the two ideas together.

Picture Survival! You could consider it the DOTA to Picture War's Warcraft 3 or an illustrated version of Harry Baldman's History the RTD. You play a single character instead of an army, and instead of the goal being about defeating the other army, you have to survive a hostile environment with a manageable number of other players. The players contribute their own sprites and they edit the picture to indicate their own actions. And as for roleplaying... here's the fun part. When you talk to other players IC, you have to do it in the image. The only thing you can say in your post is what you are currently doing. Images in speech bubbles would be acceptable.

It's essentially the same apart from that. As GM, I illustrate the results of the actions and control non-player characters. What do you guys think? Could it be fun?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1777 on: November 04, 2014, 08:31:10 pm »

If there was a picture war I would play.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 04, 2014, 08:34:34 pm »

Speaking of, what tools do you use when making pixel art?
I really want to try it out.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 04, 2014, 09:03:25 pm »

I recommend GIMP and the one-pixel brush with a hard-edged eraser.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 05, 2014, 12:08:09 am »

What are your guys's opinions on doing trial runs of games, you want to play With real people, on the forum. Just to kind of work out the kinks and fix story line stuff.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 05, 2014, 02:16:39 am »

I find playtesting to be indispensable for testing out complex systems, but I'm not sure how much extra benefit doing it with other people provides over just patching the game once it's live. I have no idea how useful it'd be for storyline issues.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 05, 2014, 08:29:55 am »

Well with my sanctuary game, I wanted to add storyline and more meaning than walking around killing zombies. So I put it up on here with a few ideas of what I wanted to do and play test it to make story like and plot. That worked great and now I have a much improved game to play with my friends in the real world.

I was just curious how others felt about that

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 07, 2014, 11:04:49 pm »

Does anyone know of any good names for a game where you gain power by eating other peoples' souls? Soul Eater is out of the question because that is the name of an anime.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 07, 2014, 11:07:00 pm »

It depends. Add some descriptions for what it's about.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 238