Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407946 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1155 on: May 25, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »

The third option sounds good.

Also, I'm somewhat interested in this as I always wanted to do something with Warhammer 40k.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 25, 2014, 06:37:50 pm »

1) Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness is a Warhammer Fantasy rulebook, you should probably use some of the 40k rulebooks or simply make them up on your own as the gods do act somewhat differently between the two and their power levels are vastly different.
Theres a large section on 40k, you have to remember that early 40k was basicy Fantasy but IN SPACE, so there a lot of crossover.

i'll go with 3 and do the rolls my self but all let the players choose the number of rolls.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 29, 2014, 07:11:18 am »

I've come here today to tell you about a magic system I've come back to recently. It's called;

Magic System I've Come Back to Recently

I. Aspects

Thought---Soul---Body---Primal---Blood---Entropy---Oblivion

The magic system is built around six Aspects and their use. Aspects are the 'materials' of magic, which would-be mages need to store within themselves to put into spells. A mage can only possess so much energy at a time, so how much of each, if any, they take is very much important, and needs to be chosen according to their magic style and the situation they face. A mage expecting a battle, for example, could anchor himself with a lot of Primal, which is the basic building block of all 'elemental' spells, which are raw, powerful, and unfocused. A mage embarking on a spirit journey would take on a lot of Soul, not just to begin such a journey, but also to protect himself against malevolent spirits and forces. And so forth and so forth.

Spoiler: The Six Aspects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Using Aspects (click to show/hide)

II. Tools of Magic

Learning spells is not child's play, and mere human mages can only hold so much magical energy at a time. Over-reliance on magic can be fatal to a human. However, more power is found in magical objects. These are essentially powerful Anchors, which have been suffused with the energies and forces of the earth, and the collective feelings, ideas and thoughts of living beings around them. Tools of magic can range from staffs to swords, to shields, bracelets, rings, flutes, harps - everything human-crafted.

The origin and journeys of this kind of magic tool grant it varying levels of power and affinity. A staff carved from a bloody wood crackles with the energy of that thirsting, hateful place. A bracelet of bone fashioned from the skull piles of the Red Khmer radiates chilling desperation and stillness. A healer's rod crafted from the plastic and wrappings of a maternity ward, full with the gentle afterglow of a new life. A horn built in the epicenter of the aftermath of a nuclear explosion echoes with apocalyptic primal power.

The world changes. The land dries, or grows more verdant, and the people who tend to it fill it with their lives and emotions. Old tools of magic are powerful not only because power grows with age, but also because they become unique; one of a kind.

III. Spells and Other Mechanics

Spells require expending a number of Aspects, and have an effect. Spells can be ranged, ranged-and-following, on touch, on self, around the caster etc., depending on the specific spell. Actual RPG mechanics for the effects of spells are still pending, sssh, but they'll have a variety of effects. For example, the Strangler Hex [1 Body, 2 Blood] is a thrown burst of focused energy that catches a target (if it hits), wrapping them up in a steel vice and then crushing them to death. In game terms, it could cause 5 damage on hit, then continuing, +1 increasing damage every turn until the target is dead, as well as dealing movement- and action-impairing effects. Succeeding in a strength roll to break through or dispelling would be needed to escape.

Mechanics are still a bit iffy here, but it'll work out. I'm thinking of going with a number of your usual RPG stats - Strength, Toughness, Agility, plus magic stats which influence how many Aspects you can store at a time, your basic power, etc., which would allow for a variety of player builds. Suggestions, ideas, etc. welcome, if you have 'em.

The game would probably go in rounds of weeks, where you could allocate your actions, such as meditation, Anchoring a spell, crafting a weapon, doing research, and doing missions, investigating things, dealing with surprise visitors and getting involved in stuff that will end up in a quick death if you're lucky. It's a nasty world out there, I'm afraid. Either at the start of a week or the start of each day you could choose your Aspects for that time.

I'd probably have to keep the players together, because dealing with keeping the passage of time the same with separated players is hell, as I've noticed time and time again. Somehow, this makes me visualize an apartment full of magician roomies. I haven't decided on the focus of the game yet (so that would be possible, or the Wizard Council idea I had way back), so a variety of ideas could go with the same system.

---

Yeah, I think that's all. I wrote this after waking up, so it might be a bit unclear at points. You have my sympathies.

Comments, shows of interest, questions etc. welcome!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: June 02, 2014, 08:15:01 am »

I had an idea:

Bay12 Plays Final Fantasy.

Using an old FF ROM, I would have the party members named after Bay12ers. Every twenty steps of playing, I'd stop, take a screenshot, and have everybody vote on what to do.

Thoughts?

Hell, I'm doing it anyway.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:24:39 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1159 on: June 02, 2014, 03:20:59 pm »

I had an idea:

Using an old FF ROM, I would have the party members named after Bay12ers. Every twenty steps of playing, I'd stop, take a screenshot, and have everybody vote on what to do.

Thoughts?

Well that's a Let's Play, this thread is for Forum Games. :p

And I don't think there's much to suggest in an FF game unless you're really bad at FF or it's an FF you've never played before.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: June 02, 2014, 07:58:54 pm »

I had an idea:

Thoughts?

And I don't think there's much to suggest in an FF game unless you're really bad at FF or it's an FF you've never played before.

Well, if it were FF5, you could do a vote for a single class challenge, two class challenge, multiple class challenge, single character challenge, and then which classes and, if applicable, which character.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1161 on: June 02, 2014, 08:01:42 pm »

I had an idea:

Thoughts?

Well, if it were FF5, you could do a vote for a single class challenge, two class challenge, multiple class challenge, single character challenge, and then which classes and, if applicable, which character.
I've never played FF5. Sounds cool though.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 02, 2014, 09:56:03 pm »

@Digital Hellhound;

I think the system is very interesting, though I get the feeling that Oblivion Aspects probably have to be earned in a different way. I would think, however, that it would make more sense and, at least in my opinion, be more interesting, if the way each mage gained mana was individual to the mage in question. Certainly, some methods might be more universal than others, but the efficacy of such methods might differ...After all, it works similarly for Anchors, does it not?

Speaking of Anchors, for the tools, I find it interesting that it has a spell that uses Oblivion, yet has a penalty to Oblivion magic use(disregarding my opinion that a spell such as stillness should be Body and Thought, as much of it comes down to just that: opinion). But perhaps it's just a matter of my understanding of the Aspects versus yours, and the manner you intend Tools to be used.

All in all, it seems like a great idea for a magic system; simple, flavorful, and useful. It might need to be combined with an overall game system so that not everyone is a mage, for general RPGs, or simply have numeric mechanics assigned, for a mage-themed game, but I really like it, I think.

I think my only questions would be clarifications on how much the individual using a spell might influence it, and their personality; they might, in a sense, be their own anchors, should they believe strongly enough or accumulate enough power. A mage extremely in tune with the forces of nature might have Primal +1 Thought -1 and Oblivion -1, for example. An ancient necromancer could have Entropy +2 Oblivion +1 Soul -1 Blood -2 Primal -1. Different sites might attune to different aspects as well, would they not? Acting as anchors, or granting different aspects at different rates over time. Other than that, I think you answered any questions someone like me might come up with.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: June 03, 2014, 08:30:14 am »

Thanks for the comments, very useful.

Stillness - the Oblivion might be misplaced, but that depends on the 'fluff' of the spell. Those spells in the example are not mechanically defined yet, but Stillness would likely be a spell ending all movement, sound, smells etc. inside the area - a bubble of frozen time and space, effectively. Oblivion serves here as destroying these forces of life and existence for a moment.

On the other hand, it could just as well be a Primal spell that prevents sound waves and such in the area. If it was Thought, though, it would only be mental, tricking people's minds. Body is mostly used on self, or brute physical alterations.

In other words; what the spell does isn't defined exactly, and you could justify almost every Aspect there. :P

Oblivion penalty and spell - You'll notice the Oblivion penalty is the sum of a large penalty and a bonus from The Long Silence. A tool's affinities can be altered in its centuries of use, so even a staff dedicated to survival and the continuation of life might in a way turn against its own purpose. The spell can be used, still, if more expensive, and you might be wearing another tool or Anchor that balanced it out (finding the best mix of gear will be tricky, ofc). Also, you can Learn the spell from the staff, so you can use it even without having the staff at hand (and thus without the staff's Aspect modifiers).

Oblivion - you're absolutely spot-on that Oblivion is different from the other Aspects. Gaining and using it will most likely be similar to the other Aspects, but the fluff and the world's reactions to using it will certainly not be.

I hadn't considered different ways of gaining Aspects much, but now I'm wondering. I had some things in mind - leeching off Aspects from people, creatures, possibly things being one - but for NPCs and enemies, mostly. Hmh.

I'm not sure about mages being Anchors on their own. Powerful mages would mainly be powerful because of the many spells and tools they've accumulated - though of course they're also more skilled. Places of power are very much a thing, though. Tapping into their power, maybe setting up your lair at one, is very useful. Though of course, high-'energy' places will also attract and create spirits by the dozens. Some places of power might have their own genius loci spirits, so making pacts with/devouring/enslaving them could happen.

As a final note, I've put together an RPG system for this and worked out how the game would play, generally. The basics are all done, just debating if some parts are unnecessary complexity or not.

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 04, 2014, 06:42:44 pm »

I was thinking Body to allow yourself to become very still and quiet, attuned to the noise you make and instinctively aware of how to avoid doing so. I thought of it as Stealth, rather than time-stop, which is probably where the misunderstanding came from. If it's timestop, I agree that Oblivion would fit, though I then question Entropy(since Entropy is the inexorable progress of time and whatnot...).

For the penalty/spell, that makes sense, and once I reread everything afterwards I realized that it was so.

As for Oblivion, I thought gaining it might be different, since if it's a tear in the heart of the world, why would the world give you that? It would seem like it would need special, probably 'evil' things to gian.

Also, I was thinking superficial changes for most mages, like taking a really long bath or meditating in a high place; listening for the Eternal Song in a crowded market for an hour; eating a crapton of food(and only getting perhaps a third of the nutrition consumed); giving other people pleasure or pain, hearing people talk about their lives, etc.
Though other ways to do so would certainly be possible.

For people being Anchors, it would mostly be in ways that took a long-ass time to get to, as in Gandalf might be an Anchor, or the Dark Queen(it really doesn't matter which Dark Queen from what book(s)/movies). Archmage of the Largest University of Magic in the world? Probably not an Anchor, though he'll have plenty. Additionally, I was trying to give the impression that overall you got more penalties than bonuses; that's how specialization works, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 04, 2014, 06:58:46 pm »

If the spell was like that, yeah, Body would make a lot of sense. Lots of possible variations on spells, as you can see. (Hell, I didn't have what each Aspect did finalized when I did that, anyway.)

I get what you mean with the ways of getting their Aspects, but mechanically it's best to make it similar/abstracted, I think. I like the idea of, let's say a therapist mage, getting his mojo from listening to other people's problems, and such.

Oblivion, I want it to be sort of easy to gain. It doesn't come from the earth, no, but it's still ready and open to any mage willing to dive in. There's also no real understanding of how harmful Oblivion is, essentially - it destroys life and spirit, rather than 'recycling' it like normal death and change, so in the long run the world is going to have less and less life in it, and more of 'the Void'. The effects and rate of this happening are only getting worse with time. It's not treated the same way as other magic - anyone can tell there's something just wrong with it - but it's still used without any real stigma.

...I realize now I may have accidentally made some kind of global warming/fossil fuels allegory with Oblivion. Ah, well.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: June 04, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »

Ah, but the difference there, I think, is that Oblivion can't be undone, period, while pollution can. Eventually.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »

You know, for urban fantasy settings, I always have trouble reconciling supernatural creatures of the setting (vampires, werewolves, etc) with the mages. The mages are always out of place because they're humans using magic somehow. However, I think connecting the creatures up with the elements might not be a bad idea. This would actually be a pretty good idea for my own setting since the theme I'm aiming for is "urban jungle", so all the creatures being based off the same resource would make sense. Anyway, here's how it could apply to your idea.

Creatures of Thought would be probably psychics or similar, as a lot of the themes definitely make me think of telepathy and mind control. Creatures of Soul make me think of spirits and such who are associated with baser emotions. Body would be similar to direcreatures, I imagine. Big massive wolves and bears and other such things. Primal would be definitely elementals. Blood... I really want to put down "vampires", but that'd be more of an entropy thing. Werewolves will have to do. Entropy is undead, since it's associated with decay and falling apart which most undead definitely are since undeath never lasts. Oblivion is probably eldritch monsters and horrors.

Would that make sense to you? If you want to include creatures as PCs, I'd imagine they would be the "Jack of One Trade, Master of All": they have only one element, but are much better at it then any mage can be. Plus, they can probably get their element much quicker then mages. Then again, this is all depending on whether or not you want a World of Darkness style monster mash or a more focused game.

Ah, but the difference there, I think, is that Oblivion can't be undone, period, while pollution can. Eventually.
Well, nuclear pollution isn't looking too good. At least, if you're talking "undone in a reasonable timeframe". If you aren't, it's going to be fine.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:24:08 pm by Fniff »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:37 pm »

I can see Blood as being the Fae, or possibly some types of Demons, like Succubi and whatnot, in addition to dryads and big animals. Were-creatures are more likely Body, since that's physical alterations. Shapeshifters of all sorts, really. I can see Thought as being ethereal creatures, less of the undead type of spirit and more of the Lady of the Lake or planes-jumper kind.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: June 05, 2014, 05:58:18 am »

Different kinds of supernatural critters definitely use and hold different Aspects. Spirits are here a very broad and varied bunch, and most magic related to them is Soul. Soul is the backbone, with other Aspects depending on the spirit's nature (in similar way as how tools gain their affinities - a spirit of death will no doubt have Entropy).

Thought is essentially the most human Aspect, that of thinking, sapient beings. There could be spirits of pure intellect, I suppose, but it won't be the central Aspect usually. You'll also find Thought with the scary old ones like the Fae. Blood being associated with them is spot-on (I have a demonic Hellhound spirit statted out, Blood is certainly there). Blood is also the Aspect of bestial minds, ie the opposite of Thought, but it's maybe the most varied/multi-faceted Aspect.

Your thoughts on Body make a whole lot of sense. I'd see werecreatures also of Blood, given Blood is the 'bestial nature' and the driving instincts and forces of your flesh and blood. Ghosts are Soul and Entropy as well, so that makes sense too.

Right now, mechanically speaking, the supernatural critters/non-mages I've done have Innate Aspects, so they don't need to refuel, which allow them to use their innate abilities. I don't really need to have them there, mechanics-wise, but it's also to encourage 'spirit leech' style of play. If you have the right abilities or spells, you can refuel anytime by snacking on something or someone. I imagine vampires also feed like this, maybe for a specific Aspect they need.

I realize you said you were thinking of your own system, Fniff, but this is useful discussion for me too, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 238