Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407301 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #690 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:40 am »

I'm thinking about doing a fate/stay (whatever) suggestion game, but I'm torn on what pool to take the heroes from(history or fiction).

History pros, harder to guess, less likely to 'that not what so and so stats would be' and more in feel with the subject(fate/stay) matter. Cons, hard to stat up and hard to find someone for every role(berserker mostly) who not been used.

Fiction pros, easier to stat, easier pool to look through. Cons, easy to guess(there no way I can descipe Gorden Freeman(someone I was thinking about) without it being clear it's Gorden Freeman(Saber, Archer and Assassin, if you want to know), There going to be someone who goes 'Gorden Freeman is clearly a lancer' or 'That not what Master Chief stats are suppose to be at all' and finally, it crossover madness, bebit a setting that can take and is suited for crossover madness.

There also a overpowered servant on the fiction sets, but since they hanging around in the 'sort of' Gilgamesh role, their history replacement is probable going to be as well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:48:53 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 21, 2013, 09:18:30 am »

I'm just marvelling at the feeling you get from the creation a smoothly-functioning, useful and just thoroughly beautiful system. It's like looking at a work of art, really, the pride you get from looking at something and being able to say 'this is mine, and this is good'. In this case, the wonder mainly comes from the internal consistency of the thing. All the parts fit together and flow from eachother, sections springing from the core of the system so they make perfect logical sense. The things you want the system to do don't need to be forced or awkwardly fitted in, because they come to existence nearly on their own.

Sure, it might be complicated, but not unnecessarily so. Everything in it just adds to what you want (here, varied tactical combat) and exists in perfect harmony, everything equally useful and needed.

These are my thoughts of today. Forum game systems, whoo!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 21, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »

It is indeed a fun thing to do. I find tinkering with it to be the most fun in a game. But that might just be me.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 21, 2013, 09:30:54 pm »

I'm just marvelling at the feeling you get from the creation a smoothly-functioning, useful and just thoroughly beautiful system. It's like looking at a work of art, really, the pride you get from looking at something and being able to say 'this is mine, and this is good'. In this case, the wonder mainly comes from the internal consistency of the thing. All the parts fit together and flow from eachother, sections springing from the core of the system so they make perfect logical sense. The things you want the system to do don't need to be forced or awkwardly fitted in, because they come to existence nearly on their own.

Sure, it might be complicated, but not unnecessarily so. Everything in it just adds to what you want (here, varied tactical combat) and exists in perfect harmony, everything equally useful and needed.

These are my thoughts of today. Forum game systems, whoo!

Indeed, this is a high matched by little else. It's why I periodically try to ideate some games even if I don't plan on running them.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 21, 2013, 09:38:48 pm »

Yeah, making up rules for your game is great. It's figuring out all the little possibilities and making enough choices for the players that makes it fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #695 on: December 21, 2013, 10:44:36 pm »

I miss this place. Hoping to have consistent enough internet access to be back in the saddle soon.. =.=/

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 21, 2013, 11:26:32 pm »

Oh so that's what happened. Can you estimate how long? I stated Chronicles of Arthora back up a couple weeks ago and need to know if I should have your character dissapear temporarily, or just have another player control them.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #697 on: December 21, 2013, 11:34:14 pm »

'til roundabouts New Year's. To be honest.. I don't remember signing up for that! :D

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 21, 2013, 11:36:36 pm »

twas the mecha fef in mah sig
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #699 on: December 21, 2013, 11:44:32 pm »

Ah yes! Did you rename it?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 21, 2013, 11:51:02 pm »

Nope. Tis the same name it had from the start
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #701 on: December 21, 2013, 11:59:40 pm »

Guess I just forgot what it was called. :p

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 26, 2013, 07:17:27 pm »

Hello. I've had this idea for a while, and I don't know if I'll have the time, but I like it enough that I want to share it with you all.

I tend to dislike how hitting and hurting something tends to be lumped together in games. I also dislike the amount of randomness there tends to be. So i brainstormed for a while, trying to find something that satisfied me for sci-fi games I was(and still am) planning on making. I found it, and at this point it's mostly balancing mumbers against each other, and trying to make sure the system works how I want it to.

To make it clear how it works, I think I should just give a couple examples of things. Numbers are still rough, names and such, but it gives the idea, I think. I may be bad at explaining things.
Spoiler: Example Weapon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Explanation of Terms (click to show/hide)

It can be rather complicated when you get into the depth of the game system I was trying for, but it basically just comes down to tags you add to weapons to change their effects slightly. The variable dice and basics of the stats is what I was trying for in the system(though I am considering adding a flat 3d4 or something to some of the rolls to allow for even inaccurate weapons to get lucky sometimes)

However, this wouldn't be complete without a ship to show off the weapons and how it would practically work.
Spoiler: Example Ship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Explanation of Terms (click to show/hide)

Gah. That took a while, and is far clunkier than I could wish for, but it does more or less what I was hoping it would, I guess.

What do you guys think?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 26, 2013, 07:21:59 pm »

Looks worthy of a test game, to me. I like how accurate the modeling is. How does cover of different forms factor into things?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 27, 2013, 12:10:32 am »

In space? Would probably just make you harder to hit and/or detect, unless the weapon was powerful enough to blast through it. Might be a 'oh you hit, but the module you would have hit is behind the asteroid. Sorry bub' sorta thing, even. Or decreases size class, since there's less target available.

On the ground and the like, less sure. Probably about the same thing...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 238