Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407025 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #510 on: July 25, 2013, 11:47:29 pm »

I can, of course, go into more detail, but it's your system, and just remember those numbers are arbitrary, and I have only the faintest idea of how the combat system works. But it's customizable in the extreme, allows for a degree of realism, but still requires some wrangling(Pistols should be slightly better than assault rifles at point blank range, for example, though I don't know how to make it so; maybe what the 'Automatic' tag does, or the 'Fast' tag like I was thinking.)

When you make the game, be sure to let me know, as I'll want to playtest it before working on my medieval version.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2013, 12:18:40 am »

I really don't care about realism. But yeah if I do get around to setting it up soon I'll throw you a line. Its gonna be a while before I can get all these tags and things worked out though..

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2013, 12:23:20 am »

I was thinking of running a classic 'Captain of an Airship' game where everything goes down up in the sky. No land at all, everything is floating/flying. Probably won't even bother explaining it so we can have more fun with making up cool flying machines and bein' pirates.

EDIT: Eh. Double post. :/

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2013, 10:44:21 am »

I had a thought like that. Sort of. Except it was more of a sci fi strategy and tactics game, except physics are different, there is no space, and the world is flat. Only way to get between areas is by going over the clouds because brutal storms that are physically impassable if you actually try to go through them prevent you. Thus, airships is like hyperspace. Above the clouds is also (mostly) breathable air and such, meaning it's like sci fi steam punk.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 26, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »

[. . .] [M]eaning it's like sci fi steam punk.

I'll admit that I sort of [really] hate steam punk but I'm curious. Isn't steam-punk a sub-category OF sci-fi? or is there enough difference that they are different categories cause I've seen that little phrase "Sci-fi steam punk" thrown around a few times.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #515 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »

I'll admit that I sort of [really] hate steam punk but I'm curious. Isn't steam-punk a sub-category OF sci-fi? or is there enough difference that they are different categories cause I've seen that little phrase "Sci-fi steam punk" thrown around a few times.
I think steampunk is a sub-category of sci-fi.

EDIT: Also, I made an airship game, and the whole world is clouds somehow, and everyone just lives on airships with the occasional floating platform or giant metal floating city.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:35:48 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 26, 2013, 12:38:04 pm »

I wouldn't view it as a sub-category. I wouldn't call dishonored a sci-fi, but it a steam punk through and through.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:54 pm »

I view sci fi as meaning future based, not alternative/ fantastic history fiction.

In is context, I meant it as 'sci fi hashyperspace, this game has clouds' and 'sci fihas planets, this game has lands' as well as some 'sci fi has aliens, this game has dwarves and orcs'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 26, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »

Really not that big of a difference is there?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 28, 2013, 07:19:39 pm »

One of the reasons I like the umbrella term SF, for Speculative Fiction. It's more of the "What If?" variety of fiction, whether that's "What if Napoleon had a Dragon Navy?" or "What if human space explorers met a hive-dwelling race of aliens that pooped out the ingredients for complex nuclear-pulse propulsion systems that spread them from planet to planet."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 28, 2013, 07:59:41 pm »

One of the reasons I like the umbrella term SF, for Speculative Fiction. It's more of the "What If?" variety of fiction, whether that's "What if Napoleon had a Dragon Navy?" or "What if human space explorers met a hive-dwelling race of aliens that pooped out the ingredients for complex nuclear-pulse propulsion systems that spread them from planet to planet."
I see what you did there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 28, 2013, 08:18:21 pm »

I sea what you did there.

FTFY

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 28, 2013, 09:09:59 pm »

I'm wanting to reboot (Un)Holy Powers. Should I make a new one or simply wade through my topics and try and necro the old one?

The new one would have a better ruleset, based on what I saw that went wrong.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 28, 2013, 09:11:53 pm »

I suggest one thing: all gods must be original. No outside media gods.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2013, 12:25:21 am »

I'm wanting to reboot (Un)Holy Powers. Should I make a new one or simply wade through my topics and try and necro the old one?

The new one would have a better ruleset, based on what I saw that went wrong.

I would love to participate in either.  If it's a new one I'd still sort of want to create a similar character though, just because I liked the overall concept I had going.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 238