Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406966 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2013, 06:37:20 am »

Well... I guess I just mean there's not a lot of goal beyond "don't die," and there's a strong element of chance or at least unknowable things involved in getting that one goal.

I don't doubt that could make it short and fun, but I suspect it'd be one of those games that's not really much of a game unless you view it as a cluster of attempts.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 04, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »

I have vague thoughts of a game swirling around in me poor head. Basically;

The players are the heads of a supernatural community - say, the Council of Mages, or the high aristocracy of the Vampire Courts, or the ancients of the Werewolf Clans, etc. I'm leaning towards the first, as I may have some systems and a setting to use already.

Anyway, the players have different roles and duties in their Council, possibly one being the leader. They are tasked with dealing with the problems of the supernatural community, maintaining the balance of power between various factions or plotting world domination, and endlessly bickering so they get nothing done. The players would wield considerable influence within the supernaturals who accept their authority but also considerable personal power, as you don't get to be in charge if you don't know what you're doing.

You'd of course have all the traitors, corruption, ambitious renegades and usurpers, problems with other supernaturals and of course the independent, very lucky and very effective loose cannons ala Harry Dresden and co to deal with. I have fancy lore and a nifty magic system I could use, if I can dig it up, too.

It also occurs to me I never continued working on the 'supernatural lineages' idea I had. Hmmm.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:48 pm »

If you're going to put it as the Wizard's Council, why not make it so the players are the actual White Council from Harry Dresden?
From a different era or something, but still.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 04, 2013, 03:56:30 pm »

I'd have to say, I'd be very interested. I had a similar idea recently with the Godhood I'm doing, so I wouldn't mind playing the game. If it was urban fantasy, since that's one of my favorite genres.

Idea: the players are all representatives of the various groups. So one player can be a werewolf, the other can be a mage, a vampire, etc, etc.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 04, 2013, 04:03:07 pm »

If you're going to put it as the Wizard's Council, why not make it so the players are the actual White Council from Harry Dresden?
From a different era or something, but still.

I don't do established settings, for the most part (just not real comfortable messing around with them) and I think the setting I have is interesting enough, so nope, sorry.

Idea: the players are all representatives of the various groups. So one player can be a werewolf, the other can be a mage, a vampire, etc, etc.

This is also a possibility, sure. And yes, urban fantasy.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2013, 04:04:57 pm »

Ah well. Thought I'd suggest. Still interested in the idea, though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 04, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »

Cool. I'm definitely interested, I already got an idea for my character: the guy who's assigned to "take care" of the people who see too much. Speaking of, are there going to be assigned roles that players can take, or is it all going to be up to the player? I'm just asking cos it'd be nice to have a fancy title.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 04, 2013, 04:10:16 pm »

I am also interested. I have an idea to play my favorite sort of mage.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 04, 2013, 04:12:33 pm »

I have vague thoughts of a game swirling around in me poor head. Basically;

The players are the heads of a supernatural community - say, the Council of Mages, or the high aristocracy of the Vampire Courts, or the ancients of the Werewolf Clans, etc. I'm leaning towards the first, as I may have some systems and a setting to use already.

Anyway, the players have different roles and duties in their Council, possibly one being the leader. They are tasked with dealing with the problems of the supernatural community, maintaining the balance of power between various factions or plotting world domination, and endlessly bickering so they get nothing done. The players would wield considerable influence within the supernaturals who accept their authority but also considerable personal power, as you don't get to be in charge if you don't know what you're doing.

You'd of course have all the traitors, corruption, ambitious renegades and usurpers, problems with other supernaturals and of course the independent, very lucky and very effective loose cannons ala Harry Dresden and co to deal with. I have fancy lore and a nifty magic system I could use, if I can dig it up, too.

It also occurs to me I never continued working on the 'supernatural lineages' idea I had. Hmmm.
All my yes!

Well, actually I'm interested in any sort of diplomacy/intrigue game like this, but, if I can pretend to be an old wizard at the same time, that's just aces.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 04, 2013, 04:15:17 pm »

@Fniff: As I said, vague, swirling ideas still. I'd probably let the players define their organization and roles a fair bit, so you could grant yourself the fanciest titles imaginable.

Looking over what I have on the setting, it's pretty dark. But I'm sure you can brighten it up if you so wish.  Grimdark, maybe, even, judging from this quote;

'We live in a world of no beginnings. No new hopes, no bright lights, no coming salvation. It is the darkest before the dawn, but the dawn will never come. At the end of our age, we will see the truth, and despair.'
-James Omegon Harper, Magis Maleficarum, shortly before his execution

Nothing stopping me from rewriting parts of this - I just had some vague quotes and descriptions of creepy WWI-born spirit realms.

Looking over the magic system, it might need some adaptation for the focus of the game, as it's more for a straight-up RPG type of game. I'll have to see.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 04, 2013, 04:18:20 pm »

When you said that players were going to be able to make a grimdark world less grimdark I knew I was going to play the role of brightener. Count me in.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 04, 2013, 04:20:26 pm »

Well, I think that quote is kinda biased. The guy's about to be executed, he's not exactly going to go "Life's brilliant. Seriously, it's just excellent in every way." unless the next sentence is "So please don't kill me, you utter bastards.".

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 04, 2013, 04:21:06 pm »

Can we customise the abilities of our character, or are the classes preset?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 04, 2013, 04:22:52 pm »

In-o!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 04, 2013, 04:24:04 pm »

The other quote I had was;

'They dragged themselves out from the corpse-piles of the Great War - spirits of steel and carnage, children of hate and fear. Their breath is poison gas, their flesh that of dead men. Pray you never meet them again.'
-Dead Hawk Atylumen, Shaman of the Three Corners

Which I don't think is any more cheerful. When your generic 'magical Native American' name is 'Dead Hawk' you're not in for rainbows and happiness. That said, I really welcome a 'brightener'. Just the concept brings a smile to my lips, hehe.

@Remuthra: See; vague, swirling. But no, there are no preset classes as of yet - probably I'd have you give a description of your thing, magically speaking, and grant spells and abilities accordingly.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 238