Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407000 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #495 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:05 am »

Pleeeeaaasssee? :D :)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 25, 2013, 07:25:49 am »

Oh wait, I actually came up with a system for this, sort of. It's dead simple, though.

Every unit has HP and an Attack value. They can also have special abilities.

An army is just the accumulation of its units. So if you add three infantry with 2 HP and 1 Att, two heavies with 4 HP, 1 Att, and the Suppression I ability, and a commander with 2 HP, 2 Att, and the Armor II and Sniper I abilities, you get an army that functions like a unit with:

16 HP (2+2+2+4+4+2)
7 Att (1+1+1+1+1+2)

Suppression II
Armor II
Sniper I

Traits could work the same way. The above army might have the Infantry VI, Hero I, Heavy II, Light III, Biological VI, and Human VI tags, for instance.

Anti-X abilities couldn't function at a higher level than a unit's tags; so for instance, if an opposing army had Concussion IX (+9 dmg vs Heavy), they could only function at Concussion II because there were only two heavies to deal damage against.

Alternatively, anti-X abilities could deal their bonus damage directly to the units in question.

Speaking of which, combat. Each side rolls a d6. The winner deals its attack score in damage to the loser. Repeat. Each side damages the other on a tie.

Casualties are dealt with by assigning damage to the next unit with the worst Att:HP ratio, so meatshields go down first. Alternatively you could let the defender sacrifice units at will, presumably to preserve special abilities on otherwise beefy and undermuscled units.

A unit must be slain completely before damage can be assigned elsewhere, however; you can't spread out a point of damage to everyone to keep them all alive. This might be waived if there were a lot of "directly damage Unit X" abilities, but as it stands I think that'd just make the game swingier, since you'd basically have that grace period where you're dropping everything to 1 HP, and then the losing side needs to start shedding troops and thus attack damage.

Originally designed (and then tweaked slightly) for the mindless waves in a MOBA-thingy, so very simplistic and lacking any kind of battle-level strategy, but it's a thing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #497 on: July 25, 2013, 07:33:50 am »

Thats interesting, if perhaps not what I was looking for. Can you give me some examples of what those tags would do?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:06 am »

The tags aren't well defined because I mostly invented them on the spot, but:

Heavy and Light strike me as very fundamental tags based on a unit's general construction. A lot of abilities might deal bonus damage to Heavy or Light units, and a lot of units might be Heavy or Light.
Biological and Mechanical strike me as similar, though most units would probably be Biological so that might be overpowered. They also strike me as more likely to accommodate special abilities, like healing that only works on Biological or EMP that only stuns Mechanical.
Human feels like basically a "The Manhunter and Humanity's Finest special abilities trigger against this" tag.

Essentially, to me most tags don't do anything on their own, they just work as criteria for other abilities. It'd probably be relatively easy to implement more inherently meaningful tags, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #499 on: July 25, 2013, 08:00:14 am »

Thats a really cool system you've got Irony! Its something that you could really pick up and run with. I might use that for something else, but for the current request I'm still open to more ideas.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:31 am »

I think I get what you're looking for, so give me a couple hours and I'll see what I can come up with.

Different note: so, I can't figure out if I should use a grid or hex-based map for this medieval fantasy game I'm wanting to make. It has both strategic and tactical maps, and grid based tends to be better for formations and shit while hex is better for accurate movement and ranges.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #501 on: July 25, 2013, 11:14:18 am »

I think I get what you're looking for, so give me a couple hours and I'll see what I can come up with.

Different note: so, I can't figure out if I should use a grid or hex-based map for this medieval fantasy game I'm wanting to make. It has both strategic and tactical maps, and grid based tends to be better for formations and shit while hex is better for accurate movement and ranges.
Looking forward to what you've got.

I like grids, personally.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 25, 2013, 12:14:57 pm »

... Damn, now the strategy game I was going to do will look like a complete rip-off. But still, looks awesome if I do say so myself.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 25, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »

Use octahedrons.

More serious, are the numbers that important, you could just use descriptions.

... Damn, now the strategy game I was going to do will look like a complete rip-off. But still, looks awesome if I do say so myself.
It's not a rip-off, it's a homage.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #504 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:14 pm »

What do you mean?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 25, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »

What do you mean?
Was planning to do something like this soonish anyway.  Hence why it's awesome :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #506 on: July 25, 2013, 12:39:43 pm »

What do you mean?
Was planning to do something like this soonish anyway.  Hence why it's awesome :P
You were planning to do something like Irony's idea?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 25, 2013, 01:10:13 pm »

What do you mean?
You were planning to do something like Irony's idea?
Aye, similar. Not immediately, as I'm going away soon, but when I get back. Though if anyone else is running it I have no issues.

Spoiler: The idea. (click to show/hide)

Sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 25, 2013, 02:11:16 pm »

Alright. I was planning on making a medieval fantasy type game with all of the customization for your troops, so this would work in a fairly similar manner.

Basically, you make a unit by combining aspects/tags/whatever you want to call them. There are two types. Optional, and required. Optional ones can usually be added to anything, give a bonus, and usually stack. They represent things like equipment or skills. Required ones have to be had, and many of them cannot both be on the same, though in some cases, you can have two required traits from the same category.

I wasn't planning on science fiction, so this is an incredibly basic example using arbitrary numbers, but:

Mechanised Infantry Squad
10x Infantry (R); Cost: 10 MP, 50 CR; Move: 5, HP: 20; Range: Melee, Damage: 10, Infantry, Biological
10x Light Armor (R); Cost: 30 CR; Move: -1, HP: +10, AR: 10
7x Assault Rifle (O); Cost: 35 CR Range: Medium Damage: +30, Automatic, Firing Modes(Range: Long, Damage: +20)
2x RPG (O); Cost: 30 CR Range: Long, Damage: +60, Single-Shot, Explosive, Shaped Charge, Heavy
1x LMG (O); Cost: 10 CR Range: Long, Damage: +10, Automatic, Suppression, Heavy,
10x Grenades (O); Cost: 20 CR Range: Short, Damage: +20, One-Use, Explosive, Concussive, In-Direct
10x Pistol (O); Cost: 15 CR; Range: Short, Damage: +20, Light, Fast
10x Knife (O); Cost: 5 CR; Range: Melee, Damage: +20, Fast
+
Transport
Wheeled Vehicle(R); Cost: 4 MP, 200 CR; Move: 15, HP: 130; Range: Melee, Damage: 30, Wheels, Vehicle
Medium Armor (R); Cost: 80 CR; Move: -2, HP: +20, AR: 10, Environmental, Passive
10x Transport Capacity(O); Cost: 100 CR; Move: -1, HP: +50, Environmental
Turreted HMG (O); Cost: 30 CR; Range: Long, Damage: +25, Automatic, Suppression, Heavy, Turreted, Gunner

These are two units that act together, and cost 605 CR and 14 MP overall. It is a generalist unit, without a leader, and can get where they are needed quickly.
The abilities do different things that act differently, there are various uses of cover and such, armor should be decently simple, though it requires some wrangling to make pistols better than assault rifles up close.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #509 on: July 25, 2013, 11:36:15 pm »

Oh wow. Thats pretty cool. I'll just copy-paste that into a document if you don't mind.. Thanks! :D
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 238