Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1121472 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11490 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:23 pm »

It's good if you run it well. Some flaws:
- You will die a lot in this game. That's perfectly normal.
- Strategy on the map is pretty important, so there's a bit of a learning curve from that point of view.
- You need to get acquainted with the game mechanics a bit before you feel like you're doing something useful. Just follow the tutorial, then join a squad and hot-drop into it and ask for help on "what to do".

Have fun!
Also, use the VR Training area if you want to figure out how to drive vehicles. Much easier to do it there than on a continent.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #11491 on: November 26, 2014, 05:08:24 pm »

Ok, downloaded the game, did the tutorial and joined a battle.

2 FRAMES PER MOTHERFUCKING SECOND.

I back away, set all settings to low, went back to the game. FPS floats between 12-15 occasionally jumps to 30. Guess I have to wait for optimisation.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: November 26, 2014, 05:17:37 pm »

How big a battle?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: November 26, 2014, 05:24:00 pm »

24 people I believe.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11494 on: November 26, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »

You have shadows off?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: November 26, 2014, 05:39:13 pm »

Yep.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: November 26, 2014, 05:40:23 pm »

You can lower the graphics settings further in the useroptions.txt in the PS2 folder. Make sure to go in game and switch the graphics options to custom before editing useroptions. You can also change that option in the useroptions but it's simpler to just do it in the game.

I think you can copy and paste this over the corresponding sections in your own useroptions; the worst that could happen is you will have to delete useroptions.txt so the client re-downloads it.

I would leave lighting and shadows on but my video card has problems with them. I go from GPU to CPU bottlenecked when I change those options. If I'm not doing something that would improve my fps, feel free to let me know. I've experimented with useroptions quite a bit but I'm still far from an expert and don't know what some of it does. I try to leave alone those I don't know about and also other display and rendering options that don't help the game run better.

Also if you press alt+f while in the game a frames per second counter will appear in the corner and it will let you know if you are slowed down by your GPU (graphics card) or CPU (processor).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:49:03 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: November 26, 2014, 05:50:21 pm »

I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: November 26, 2014, 05:55:43 pm »

No problem, I hope it works for you.

Other things that might help is making sure your drivers are up to date. If they are, you could consider overclocking but that can risk damage to your computer if you do it wrong or let it overheat.

Finally it might not be a bad idea to run defrag after installing PS2. I don't know how much it would help but it could be worth a try if you don't automatically defrag.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:59:14 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11499 on: November 26, 2014, 05:59:10 pm »

I'm looking at this game, how good is it?
That's a fairly difficult question to answer. One of the main draws of this game is its scale, and how few other games does anything like this game does (Battlefield is often a comparison, but there are no persistent game worlds or characters).

Do you have a screenshot of your settings, or system specs? Lowering things like render distance may help, and disabling smoothing may give you higher framerates with possibly more stutter depending on what's going on.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11500 on: November 26, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

I can't get my computer right now.  Game says I'm bottlenecked by the CPU, and I can't overclock it. My render distance is around 1000.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: November 26, 2014, 06:16:11 pm »

Pretty much no matter what you do you will get CPU bottleneck, you just have to raise settings that don't end up dropping your framerate and don't make "GPU" appear until they're as high as you can comfortably get them.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11502 on: November 26, 2014, 06:20:17 pm »

VS are fucking dicks.

Fucking infiltrators in squads with stalker and the best pistols in the game...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: November 26, 2014, 06:20:22 pm »

I've read on the PS2 forums some people have better performance when the PS2 process is elevated to High in the task manager. That doesn't seem to do much for me though.

If you want to spend five to ten minutes and assuming you have a 4 or more core processor you could change all programs processor affinity to a core or two that PS2 will not use while assigning PS2 the rest of the cores. I don't bother doing this anymore but early on I thought it made a minor difference.

Other things to do would be to close all unnecessary programs. There are some free programs you can use to do things like this. Iobit's game booster does it, but using Iobit products notably advanced system care or their defrag program seemed slowly degrade my computer's performance forcing me to reinstall the OS. I stopped using them and no longer have a problem.

If you can reinstall your OS that could help remove any unwanted processor using programs like spywares and such. This might only be a good idea if your computer should be running better than it is.

VS are fucking dicks.

Not all of them are but yeah of all the realms on Emerald VS tends to be the most unpleasant in various ways.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:27:37 pm by Duuvian »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: November 26, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »

the best pistols in the game...
I'm fairly confused at this point. I always hear complaints about how every pistol in the game sucks but all other empires have OP sidearms. I want to know exactly which pistols are shit and which ones are "op" because every single pistol I've used in this game has been neither. I've used: mag-shot, desperado, rebel, beamer, repeater. Possibly more but can't remember off the top of my head.
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 826