Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1122104 times)

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So downloaded it, went into Cobalt as NC because a friend plays there. Fooled around for 20 minutes without the slightes hint about what is going on (biggest thing I hate with MMO's, there's just so much information that gets dumped on you it takes a while to adjust and learn what means what)

Then game started stuttering like crazy while one of the tanks was glitching out spinning around like crazy while half stuck in the grund/buildings.

This will take a whle to learn I think :C

Jopax, I had the same problem (with learning to play), and wish they had a "tutorial/newbie island" setup.  Since they don't, go watch these official game tutorials.  They explain the basics quite well.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I think that the rocketpods may be the most obviously OP thing in the game thusfar. Probably the best would be to replace them with two A2G weapon types: an anti-tank missile and an anti-infantry bomb, both with very low ammunition and long reload times; enough that if you're in a fighter you can take advantage of targets of opportunity without being able to spam explosions.

That said, people who are complaining about G2A being underpowered: have you experienced it from both sides? I'm honestly curious (as I haven't had the chance to play for myself and won't until my new computer arrives in ~2 weeks), but from my past experience in other games having flak bursts around your cockpit and hearing the lockon telltale are very distracting. When you're flying away to repair or trying to avoid a G2A missile, the one thing you assuredly aren't doing is another strafing run.

Be glad that the lib and gal don't have the "feature" from some BF games where passengers can repair in-flight if they know about a certain sweetspot?  :P

RE: p2w: It'll come down to how honest the devs are being about sidegrades, IMO. On the cheating note, I think this might be the perfect example of a game where aimbots and wallhacks are far less effective than normal, just because of the sheer number of threats.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly I have experianced it from both sides and you know what happens when I get locked on by a G2A Rocket? I get dinked then I go land then I repair...

The only times I have been killed in a plane has been when I have crashed. Chased and gotten tailed by a group of ESF and well basicly some BS Lockons from ESF rockets...

Shockingly A2A fights are as what they should be, but G2A are just a Deterant for a moment, and that anyone spending time doing G2A will end up NOT doing G2A cause there is no gain from it. THIS is why I want the "You let me hit you, you die" shit. Make it worth going through the trouble of hitting something that can escape you nearly 60% of the time...

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

Not to mention you actually have to spend Certs on G2A weapons.

For the balance discussion, this is someone's information lifted directly from the game files. Most of the weapons are fairly balanced, but basically anything that has a higher ROF, accuracy, and clip size wins out in the end. So, TR, basically. Damage doesn't seem to do too much for the TTK, and high damage weapons generally have a massive recoil and significant Cone of Fire.

So downloaded it, went into Cobalt as NC because a friend plays there. Fooled around for 20 minutes without the slightes hint about what is going on (biggest thing I hate with MMO's, there's just so much information that gets dumped on you it takes a while to adjust and learn what means what)

Then game started stuttering like crazy while one of the tanks was glitching out spinning around like crazy while half stuck in the grund/buildings.

This will take a whle to learn I think :C

Looks like you allowed a Reality Inversion to happen. Don't worry, you'll figure it out with time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In seriousness, have you checked out the video tutorials? They're probably the most informative video tutorials I've ever seen for a game. They actually talk about meta stuff, like keyboard controls, instead of trying to pretend to be all basic training.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What are our outfits? And this should probably be edited in the first page. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.

Before the AA rocket nerf two of them would kill an ESF. With nerfing the AA rockets, flares stopping the rockets easily, and upgrades to air armor vs flak - G2A just isn't really a threat at all anymore.

Back in beta I would find another guy with the AA rocket launcher and team up, then we would sit on a building taking out scythes and mosquitos one after another. We'd pick a target, lock on, and fire. A few seconds later the mosquito that expected to get a bit of damage suddenly went boom. Sometimes the flares would stop our first volley, but if they were dumb enough to hang around we'd launch a second and take them out. Most of them didn't seem to expect the lock on warning to be two rockets coming simultaneously. The smart ones would zip away before we got a lock on and we'd have to switch targets, but most of them just ignored the lock.

How many AA rockets is it to kill an ESF now anyway? Three? And I imagine libs are like 10+ now? I haven't got the AA launcher in release since it's super expensive now.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Before the AA rocket nerf two of them would kill an ESF. With nerfing the AA rockets, flares stopping the rockets easily, and upgrades to air armor vs flak - G2A just isn't really a threat at all anymore.

Back in beta I would find another guy with the AA rocket launcher and team up, then we would sit on a building taking out scythes and mosquitos one after another. We'd pick a target, lock on, and fire. A few seconds later the mosquito that expected to get a bit of damage suddenly went boom. Sometimes the flares would stop our first volley, but if they were dumb enough to hang around we'd launch a second and take them out. Most of them didn't seem to expect the lock on warning to be two rockets coming simultaneously. The smart ones would zip away before we got a lock on and we'd have to switch targets, but most of them just ignored the lock.

How many AA rockets is it to kill an ESF now anyway? Three? And I imagine libs are like 10+ now? I haven't got the AA launcher in release since it's super expensive now.
I can tell you now. If an ESF stayed still long enough, half a Duel Burster Max Clip would be enough to kill one. They can escape when I need to Reload if its at full health or just a little bit out of range for all shots to hit...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I honestly cant believe libs are 10+ AA rockets. now... imo probably 6. My lib gets raped in the air usually even with zig zagging and my friend doing some of the best flying in that big hunk of shit i have ever seen. Guys an aerobatic master.

a fighter if it hits all its rocket pods on you will 100 to Zero you in a moment with a little extra gun fire in a lib. However, the Liberators, Dalton 150mm Heat gun, will 2 shot a enemy lib, and 1 shot a enemy fighter :) and 3-4 shot a galaxy.

Liberator is honestly... SOOO bad without support. if you get ganged up on by 2 enemy fighters, you have a very small chance of making it out there, unless your squad is in a bunch of mosquito's to run them off. Honestly its sorta crazy. When we do a Air operation in my outfit, it works really well, just cant depend on the rest of the planetside playerbase to provide any cover for Liberators :(

Wow, this is turning into a long post.

They need to fix the AA turrets on bases as well. Those things are such trash. Literally huge ass spread and dont do jack shit, unless a liberator is sitting still very nearby. They literally have the worst accuracy of any weapon i know of in the game... Why did they get nerfed so hard. Double Burster max's imo way more effective!

And The AA Turrets, have a very slow projectile speed as well. I dont even...  They really fucked up the Anti Air portion of this game IMO.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:27:18 am by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if I am reading that chart correctly, the AF-19 Mercenary is the best gun for killing excluding shotgun in the NC arsenal, well, uncerted with the ammo types.
TTK is time to kill right?

And yea, you need a squad of AA rockets to take out anything in the sky really, assuming the plane lacks flairs.  I hope it gets balanced eventrally.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An ESF takes 3 G2A rockets to down, and i think a Lib takes 8.
In my opinion the Rocketpods aren't OP, it is just that there isn't anything around to make the planes fear getting close enough to use them except for a roof with a bunch of AA maxes.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An ESF takes 3 G2A rockets to down, and i think a Lib takes 8.
In my opinion the Rocketpods aren't OP, it is just that there isn't anything around to make the planes fear getting close enough to use them except for a roof with a bunch of AA maxes.
Which is also a Pinata of EXP for a Single Lib which sits way at the top of the Sky limit which can't be hit and no Ally ESF can get to due to the swarms of enemy ESF covering the Lib

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

So, I was complaining about being terrible earlier, but I just joined a random squad and found them to be talkative and coopeative. After a while of going with them, my overall KDR has tripled from 0.1 to 0.3.
Yay, teamwork. If only I actually had a stable group of friends I could play with. Unfortunately, most of my friends are too busy playing Black Ops 2 or FIFA 13 or something.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

If you're on Mattherson, The Ascended are pretty neat. We took all of Amerish. I now have a favorite new base, but i don't remember what it was called. I was in Alpha Squad and our main task was to defend and do air support. At the latter i was pretty terrible, but defense i liked.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to second (.. well looks like something like fifth by now) G2A missiles being severely underpowered; I think a lot of the issue is from the slow missile speed and long reload time. It's basically impossible to be anything more than a minor annoyance with them; the only thing I've ever killed with it were literally just n00bie pilots who freaked out and crashed themselves even though they would've taken fairly little damage just by tanking it, or could easily outrun the missile until it hit its' max time limit and exploded.

and I don't even get credit for those 'kills'.

The only thing they seem to be good for is an amusing time when you see a decent pilot do barrel rolls and flips in the sky for a few moments until your missile explodes harmlessly, then turns around and explodes your face off instantly with rockets.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only reasonable buff I'd support for G2A:

* Make the G2A missile launcher a default unlock for the Heavy. Refund station points/certs to anyone who has unlocked it.

Imagine, if you will, a base defended by 50 people. Assume a random distribution of classes (usually, Heavy is strongly over-represented), so 10 Heavies. Assume half of them chose the G2A launcher.

You fly anywhere within range, you've got up to 5 missiles targeting you. Flares, which are now mandatory, give you 5 seconds to attack, then get out of range before you've got a lethal quantity of explosives chasing you. ESFs are killed instantly, once their flares fade. Libs lose over half their health on the first volley, and die to the second. Nothing short of massed, organized air power would be able to assault the outpost.

As time passes and people unlock more weapons, there will be a lot more G2A Heavies around, and I believe there'll be more cries for a G2A nerf than anything. The only reason air is currently overpowered is because most infantry don't have a single counter-weapon, so the skies are largely safe.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 826