Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1123243 times)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: In beta MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #3450 on: October 22, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »

It's funny, TR had NC and VS pushed back to their gates 2 hours ago... now we're back at OUR gate getting tag-teamed =p

*EDIT*  Aaaand... weapons-locked again >.<
This time a friendly heavy decided that out of all the places he could stand, right in front of my firing MANA turret was the best.  Then I was in my Prowler fighting a Vanguard, had him down to 1/4 health and was about to finish him off... except that he was driving past and abandoned friendly ATV, which got hit with my first shot and locked me before I shot off the second and finished him off.  Had to just sit there and take it while he finished me off from 75% health =/  Odd thing was, those were my only two friendly-fire incidents all day, and I never even got a warning message, just straight to weapons-lock. 

Anyone else think they should add the "forgive" feature from PS1?  There have been several times when I sprinted around a corner and got a face full of friendly tank accidentally, and other times when I've been doing 50kph and someone else has done the same thing...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:52:41 pm by Seraphim342 »
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: October 22, 2012, 02:58:13 pm »

I'm not sure that will fix anything. "He totally just ran me over! Screw him!" Or in the case where you hit a friendly unmanned vehicle, the owner won't know why you shot it and may not forgive that either because he can't see you and thinks "That guy just blew up my ride! What a jackass!"

It MIGHT be useful in a case where two galaxies collide, but either nobody should be punished there, or whoever deliberately flew into the other should be (if one could establish that somehow, which is unlikely because you can't see where you're going if you're going up or down).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:31 pm »

There are times where friendly fire is totally my fault, like when I run across the street without looking etc, so I would use a Forgive function. Even if it did nothing I imagine it could be gratifying to see.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: October 22, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »

Most of the time when I get killed by friendly fire, I don't consider it my fault. Like, I'm walking into a tank spawning room by the only usable entrances, which are the ones that tanks roll out of. No tanks are visible. I'm at the forcefield, just outside the building. Suddenly, a tank appears and rolls towards me at high speed! I try to dodge to the side (I'm near it already), but can't move fast enough to get out of the way in time since I only have a fraction of a second before it reaches me. It's obviously not my fault since there was no tank there, and when it appeared I was unable to get out of the way in time, and therefore it must be the fault of the guy who spawned the tank instead.

Of course, it's not just a choice to apply blame between either the person who got run over and the person who did it, since (particularly in that case) we can instead apply blame to the map designer who made the only viable entrance to that building be through those forcefield doors, and to whoever coded the tank spawning routines to spawn the tanks in there and immediately have them roll out at high speed, uncontrollably, instakilling anyone they spawn on top of or touch on the way. If I were doing it, I wouldn't let people run through those forcefield doors, and I'd add additional doors to provide access to the terminals without going through the area where the tanks spawn, at the very least. I can understand why they are uncontrollably accelerated on start (so that you can't just sit there and block future vehicle spawning or cause friendly fire for spawngibbing your vehicle, if that is even possible), but it's still getting people killed and causing friendly fire warnings unnecessarily.

I think one of these two is probably the best solution to the tanks rolling over people uncontrollably, by reducing the likelihood of people being in front of the tank exits (after also adding new entrances for people, and making the current entrances impassable and closing them with doors except when vehicles are exiting): (a) Trenches around the building, with bridges leading to the entrances/exits, or (b) an elevated building with ramps leading to the entrances/exits and enough room for infantry to walk under the ramps.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:25:00 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: October 22, 2012, 04:23:24 pm »

I have a simpler solution: Make tanks push you out of the way instead of killing you instantly for, say, ten seconds after spawning.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: October 22, 2012, 04:25:12 pm »

I've never seen a tank exit where soldiers could not safely be to the side of the path the tanks go. If you're going to walk through a door you know that tanks come out of, walk on the sides. If it's a place where there's not enough room, you can probably at least see the vehicle terminal, and if there's someone there, wait for them to finish before walking in. They can't see you from the console, so blaming them is unfair.

The person who designed that stuff really could have done better, obviously, but we're stuck with no OSHA compliance as it is, so better to take 5 seconds making sure you don't die than taking 10 to respawn and yet more to get back to where you were.

Ninja edit: If you're going to go that route, have the tanks just no-clip through soldiers. It would be irritating as hell to be through the door and then have the tank push you back out, especially if as soon as it ended its auto-run it suddenly became damaging/lethal again.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:28:33 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:33 pm »

So...been playing vanu for a while, the anti air missile launcher is great now, it got a hidden buff to it since its damage no longer gets reduced by composite armor, so you can 2 shot any of the fighters with it, get a friend and start shooting down the "skilled" players who know one missile wont kill them, they also make great anti-infantry since direct shots will 1 shot normal infantry and it travels about 3 times faster then a normal rocket, so I've moved to the side of a battle and started sniping people with it, its hilarious when you hit one of those sniping infiltrators(unlike other vanu missile launchers, no drop in dumb fire mode). I did have some fun with the magridder seeing an outfit running south of the crown to attack the crossroads, ended up running over all 15 or so people because most of the heavies had the lockon anti tank missile launcher and I had IV smoke(which breaks lockons and obscures vision of the tank)...and I guess that is why its called the magmower.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »

Lol, I spent all day saving up for Deployed mode on the Prowler (192 CP).  Bought it, installed it, ordered a predator, ran over a guy who ran in front of the tank while I had no control of it, and got weapons locked... again.  Immediately ragequit.

The way it worked in PS1 was that if you were standing on or in front of the vehicle pad, you got "derezzed" when the vehicle spawned, and the person who ordered it didn't count as having run you over.  Now, if I see someone running over the pad, I wait, but I still manage to kill half a dozen people a day this way at least when they run in the path after I order the vehicle and have no control over it. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: October 22, 2012, 05:15:48 pm »

Yeah, those kills really should count as an enemy kill. You're doing your faction a favor by removing these numpties from your faction, albeit accidentally.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: October 22, 2012, 05:26:44 pm »

Isn't the lockout in in-game time, so you can't just log out and wait for it to expire? (Also on your entire account)

That's how it was when I started playing, or was described on the beta forums at the time by people who were weapons-locked repeatedly, but I've never actually been weapons-locked myself and have no intention of intentionally weapons-locking myself since it almost sounds like it punishes repeat offenders harder by making it very easy to re-trigger weapons lock if you've ever triggered it before. (I've "run over" (without being able to see) half a dozen people without triggering it, and just said "Fuck tanks, I'm going to fly a scythe instead" at that point, but this was weeks and weeks ago, before Borderlands 2 came out)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3460 on: October 22, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »

As a test I deployed a turret in the warp gate spawn area and blew away three guys. Quite obviously troll/teamkill behavior. No weapons lock.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: October 22, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

You don't get weapon lock for killing, but rather for repeatedly hitting. There's a cooldown after each hit, too, so that you don't get weapon locked for accidentally spraying a friendly.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: October 22, 2012, 06:42:17 pm »

... yeah, I think I'm done with PS2 for a while. Crashed right after starting to play today, making it the 3rd time in three times trying to play. Have fun everyone.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: October 22, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »

You don't get weapon lock for killing, but rather for repeatedly hitting. There's a cooldown after each hit, too, so that you don't get weapon locked for accidentally spraying a friendly.
Weapons lock is unimportant to those trolls who buy a vehicle with the singular intention of deliberately ramming other vehicles and running people over.  The only cost to them is having to buy another vehicle when they finally do enough damage to themselves to blow up.  There is no in-game punishment for these twerps, other than the 'yells' of "Tank-tard", which, of course, is where they get their gratification from.

Anyways, I'm about to log on, where are you guys ATM?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: October 22, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »

Well, it would appear that the latency between the server and my computer has gotten so amazingly high I cannot even play. I'm so disconnected from the server my character doesn't even exist. People don't even shoot me or anything.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 826