Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1122778 times)

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
Re: Planetside 2: Upcoming MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. Beta is beta folks.
« Reply #2310 on: September 05, 2012, 05:59:57 pm »

Bro tip: Figure out who it is and PM him. :P

Poor guy is going to have a dozen PM's when he next gets online.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: September 05, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »

A bit late, but ya, I'm all for mergin on one server. I can do any US server probably, haven't tested west but I have a pretty good connection, so I'm not too worried.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: September 05, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »

I am in a US-WEST zone (western Montana) and I just played for about 40 minutes as a Vanu on EU1. It's worth noting that I have a pretty good connection, but the result was little if any lag compared to my normal servers.

As far as I can tell, I can play on any server just fine. While there may be a slight impact, I can play on whichever server you guys are on. This goes for EU guys too- go ahead and create a character on US west and just try it for an hour, see how it goes!

Granted, I have a small but growing suspicion that all of the servers are actually in the same place somewhere in the US. :P

So, I think we can have our outfit:

‼- on ANY SERVER, we may choose a server arbitrarily. Please test other servers to see if this is true though. I also recommend a backup server incase one is full- perhaps we can avoid this by not choosing server 1 of any region?

‼- We still need to agree on  FACTION. I think I'm starting to like TR? But the Vanu are cool too and I love the NC HA weapon. I can go any way.

‼- We need an OUTFIT LEADER. Maybe they can choose an arbitrary faction and server. I think I may be up to the task myself, but other nominees are welcome! Girlinhat, perhaps. The outfit leader IIRC mainly just has administrative tasks; anyone can still be a squad leader and in charge of other people in combat.

‼- We agreed much earlier in the thread to just call the outfit Bay12.

IF NOBODY OBJECTS, I'll assume we're okay with choosing a leader and have them just pick a faction/server?

Note: If I am the leader, I will choose the faction based on a short story contest. That is all.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:50:27 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: September 05, 2012, 07:04:46 pm »

I would also avoid servers where it the population numbers are always stacked in favor of one faction, for example, West 2 (if it is still stacked NC).

Ones where different factions have a higher population at different times may be ideal (such as west 3). Of course, if by some chance there is a server which is always 33-33-33, then by all means, choose that one. :V

It's more fun, I think, with more people, although not so much for vehicle drivers currently (until they change the grief mechanics so that people running near or into a tank doesn't instakill and count as friendly fire for the driver).

Didn't Girlinhat have a problem that was preventing her from playing?

Right now in order to take down galaxies with fighters you really need multiple fighters, whether you're using a2g rockets or a2a missiles. Tanks were more effective but that may have changed. HAs seem to need more than one as well. The only times I've taken out a galaxy solo, I think, were (1) as a Vanu AV MAX, and (2) a tank firing at it immediately after it had landed.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:11:24 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2314 on: September 05, 2012, 07:13:29 pm »

I am in a US-WEST zone (western Montana) and I just played for about 40 minutes as a Vanu on EU1. It's worth noting that I have a pretty good connection, but the result was little if any lag compared to my normal servers.

As far as I can tell, I can play on any server just fine. While there may be a slight impact, I can play on whichever server you guys are on. This goes for EU guys too- go ahead and create a character on US west and just try it for an hour, see how it goes!

Granted, I have a small but growing suspicion that all of the servers are actually in the same place somewhere in the US. :P

So, I think we can have our outfit:

‼- on ANY SERVER, we may choose a server arbitrarily. Please test other servers to see if this is true though. I also recommend a backup server incase one is full- perhaps we can avoid this by not choosing server 1 of any region?

‼- We still need to agree on  FACTION. I think I'm starting to like TR? But the Vanu are cool too and I love the NC HA weapon. I can go any way.

‼- We need an OUTFIT LEADER. Maybe they can choose an arbitrary faction and server. I think I may be up to the task myself, but other nominees are welcome! Girlinhat, perhaps. The outfit leader IIRC mainly just has administrative tasks; anyone can still be a squad leader and in charge of other people in combat.

‼- We agreed much earlier in the thread to just call the outfit Bay12.

IF NOBODY OBJECTS, I'll assume we're okay with choosing a leader and have them just pick a faction/server?

Note: If I am the leader, I will choose the faction based on a short story contest. That is all.

Generally when working with the standard three server choies (EastUS, WestUS, EU), East US is chosen, as it provides the best average for all players. Australians always get the short end of the stick, but everyone knows they are all actually Kangaroos down there so we need not worry.  :P

As far as faction goes I would vote VS just so that we have a target rich environment to stomp all over.  8)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: September 05, 2012, 07:32:39 pm »

Yes, perhaps the elected leader can pick the faction to prevent squabbling. I suggest we nominate a few, put up a poll, and give it till a specifice date/time to run. Then the winer picks faction and is our esteemed leader.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: September 05, 2012, 07:53:27 pm »

From the looks of the Google Doc it seems that the majority of Bay12 players favor NC. I personally love the TR but I'd be willing to whip out the purple or blue paint buckets.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:55:10 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: September 05, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »

Weird, my post didn't go through...
Anyway, I added a column for preffered server to the google Doc. And added boarders. And Bolded the headers. And added filters. And sorted by Name for now. and added a background to the header. Hope no one minds...

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #2318 on: September 05, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »

Anyway, I added a column for preffered server to the google Doc. And added boarders. And Bolded the headers. And added filters. And sorted by Name for now. and added a background to the header. Hope no one minds...

You did good.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: September 05, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »

You did good.

Haha thanks. I work with Excel at work a bit, just lists and stuff. Not the most adept, but I figured I could improve it.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: September 05, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »

The Vanu are cool.

They wear skin-tight purple latex jumpsuits.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: September 05, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »

I refuse to play NC... I'd be willing to play VS as a secondary role (and in fact I'm growing more and more to like the somewhat closer, more organized community they have... when I occasionally play purple) but I prefer the story background of the TR along with their look and weapons.

I don't intend to join a bay12 outfit though, but I'd be more than willing to help out if i happen to be on the same side and the same server.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: September 05, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »

Had a pretty good play session since the outfits are back. Somehow population reached 33/33/33, even with TR lower than Vanu for a couple of minutes. NC actually dominated through good play given the equal numbers.

Then TR started getting a numerical advantage again even as NC and VS were having huge scale battles over the usual suspects. We were making a sustained push with a pair of Galaxies, full support squadron and growing tank column. And then some isolated bases got backcapped by TR (bug I think) and a TR soldier got into our warpgate and started wiping out a load of people as they respawned for vehicles. That was enough to guarantee they could use their numbers to push past the front lines and take most of the map. We lost one of our Galaxies (flown by our outfit leader) and the other went blindly into a heavy TR force without any air support. I ended up stranded behind TR lines with two other guys and a Galaxy cowering in a valley.

So my outfit decided to see if we could do the same thing to the Vanu warpgate. Turns out not. I think one or two guys got in, but it's a really inconsistent bug and hard to work out the conditions. So we just camped outside their warpgate with a load of HA and AA MAXes supported by engineers and a pair of Galaxies. We could hit their aircraft as they spawned or ping down their health as they tried to reach the front lines and had enough forces that it was hard for isolated fighters to do damage to us.

They finally got a MAX and tank to kill one Galaxy, so we pulled back, eventually to a bridge near the Crown. We distracted every single fighter and AA gun on the Crown, taking down a fair few, before they finally took out the last Gal. We still had a pair of AA MAX (including me), two engineers, two medics and two assault (I think both heavy, but at least one). So we decided to cap some points while Vanu and NC were fighting over it.

Leaving the bridge we got blocked by a Sunderer and tank. I think it was a Lightning. I sprayed the Sunderer with AA fire till it pulled back (it's constant enough they couldn't repair without getting out of LoS) and the Lightning wasn't supported. Our HA dropped a couple of rockets into it and it pulled back, just far enough to expose it to a Vanu Liberator that took both it and the Sunderer out. Me and the other AA MAX focused down the Lib (got the assist) and we moved out completely uncontested to the Crown.

Sadly we lost adjacency so couldn't cap anything. We just holed up inside the point C building and sprayed the TR with flak and rockets till they made a massed assault. Managed to last quite a while. I was one of the last standing, empting my AA flak cannons into ground forces for a couple of last kills then closing to melee with about five TR mixed HA and MAXes. I think there was at least one red-on-red kill I got as an assist before they took me down.

To be honest it was nice just to fight for a couple hours without getting DC MAX spammed whenever there fight over a fixed position.

Oh, I tried to dogfight once earlier today. Still not fully used to the controls. I keep thinking that A and D will sideslip (artefact of my Air Rivals days) so end up trying to slip through gaps I'm not aligned properly with. On the other hand, the afterburner and roll/pitch controls make it easy to do quick strafing runs and you do feel pretty invulnerable when you aren't running into things. I might practice some more in the next few days, maybe even pick up the A2A missiles. Doubt I'll be a frequent pilot, but I'd like to not feel useless when the outfit needs an extra plane up there.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: September 05, 2012, 09:48:40 pm »

Also, if anyone is looking to the official forums for updates... apparently the devs just aren't doing crap with them anymore, choosing reddit and other unofficial sources over the official forums... I admit they are a mess to have to deal with, but would it really be all that hard to drop a change log in the announcement forum for each patch? That's all I really was hoping for from them and apparently I won't even get that... now I have to deal with checking reddit.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: September 05, 2012, 09:55:38 pm »

IIRC, the beta announcement forums do have update logs. I'm not sure why the public ones don't if they're posting this stuff to reddit but, eh.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 826