Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682272 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4770 on: August 12, 2020, 06:33:22 am »

Is it possible to make a felt material for clothing? I'm using Svers mod as a base. It's similar to copper. How do I put this in a reaction:
[REACTION:MAKE_FELT]
   [NAME:make felt]   [DESCRIPTION:Combine 5 cloth of many different materials to make a stronger cloth, generally equal to copper, but lighter]
   [BUILDING:CLOTHES:CUSTOM_F]
   [REAGENT:A:5:CLOTH:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_PLANT_MATERIAL][ANY_SILK_MATERIAL][ANY_YARN_MATERIAL]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:GUT_MAT]
   [SKILL:CLOTHESMAKING]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FELT_TEMPLATE]

Sounds very doable. Can't assume that GUT_MAT on the various cloths though. You were trying to get the GUT_MAT of yarn cloth etc.
Maybe WEAVING skill.
The triple ANY_* may cause it to require all three properties at once.
I guess [PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NONE:INORGANIC:FELT_TEMPLATE] since there's no need for the felt to be associated with a plant or creature.

I'd recommend three separate reactions
[REACTION:MAKE_FELT_FROM_SILK]
[REACTION:MAKE_FELT_FROM_YARN]
[REACTION:MAKE_FELT_FROM_PLANTTHREAD]
so player can make felt without using valuable silks.

Maybe [ITEMS_ARMOR] and [ITEMS_SCALED] on the felt armormaterial? (a FELT SHIELD would ofcourse use wood or bone or rope scraps, and felt instead of leather coating)

Bonus: my clothes into thread unravel reactions.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:39:42 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: August 13, 2020, 02:02:11 pm »

It works now. I'm using Svers combat mod as a base.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_FELT]
[NAME:make felt]
[DESCRIPTION:Combine 5 plant cloth to make a stronger type of cloth using water. Resistant to blunt attacks than avg, but still poor vs edged attacks]
[BUILDING:CLOTHES:CUSTOM_F]
[REAGENT:A:5:CLOTH:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_PLANT_MATERIAL]
[REAGENT:water:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:WATER:NONE]
[REAGENT:bucket:1:BUCKET:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:water]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:PLANT_MAT:NONE:ARTIFICIAL_FELT:NONE]
[SKILL:CLOTHESMAKING]

I wonder if it's possible to make reactions to recycle worn clothes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: August 13, 2020, 02:45:36 pm »

That's what Tomitapios clothes to thread reactions are supposed to do. ^^
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: August 15, 2020, 01:49:22 pm »

[REACTION:THREAD_FROM_SOCKS] 2019-02, low 40% chance
   [NAME:unravel sock into thread]

Urist is terrified remembering a traumatic event.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: August 16, 2020, 05:43:31 pm »

Is there any known way to encourage entities to join other civs? I.E, elves joining dwarf civs, humans joining elves, and so on. I want to make a civ that consists of a bunch of species all jumbled together, and since there's no straightforward way to do that (apart from cramming them all into the same species via castes, which I'd rather avoid) this seems like the most likely alternative.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: August 16, 2020, 06:24:32 pm »

Is there any known way to encourage entities to join other civs? I.E, elves joining dwarf civs, humans joining elves, and so on. I want to make a civ that consists of a bunch of species all jumbled together, and since there's no straightforward way to do that (apart from cramming them all into the same species via castes, which I'd rather avoid) this seems like the most likely alternative.

Slavery ethic will purposefully move members from defeated sites to your own but usually not in numbers to greatly affect site populations, else you could create 1 city or very restricted nations so that they disperse more easily with refugees to surrounding nations. You'll also never recieve migrants not of your race no matter how oversaturated your sites may be with elves & humans, Toady disallowed it.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: August 16, 2020, 07:21:16 pm »

Slavery ethic will purposefully move members from defeated sites to your own but usually not in numbers to greatly affect site populations, else you could create 1 city or very restricted nations so that they disperse more easily with refugees to surrounding nations. You'll also never recieve migrants not of your race no matter how oversaturated your sites may be with elves & humans, Toady disallowed it.

Makes sense! I'm fine with there being a "central" race that makes up most of the population, I just want a bunch of other races integrated as well. I figure I can supplement forts with visitors petitioning to join, for when I really want secondary races around.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: August 16, 2020, 09:01:18 pm »

Makes sense! I'm fine with there being a "central" race that makes up most of the population, I just want a bunch of other races integrated as well. I figure I can supplement forts with visitors petitioning to join, for when I really want secondary races around.
Are you checking Legends in your own vanilla worlds? Integration of other races happens quite a bit already.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: August 17, 2020, 01:04:53 am »

Are you checking Legends in your own vanilla worlds? Integration of other races happens quite a bit already.

Yeah, the last update seemed to boost this a lot. The results seem to vary a lot tho, regarding the ratio of the "central" race.

I generate small worlds with the same parameters for my games, the 47. update randomized everything a lot, I feel, the results are not that consistent.

Sometimes you just need to generate till you get a one you like.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: August 17, 2020, 11:18:00 am »

Yeah, the last update seemed to boost this a lot. The results seem to vary a lot tho, regarding the ratio of the "central" race.

I generate small worlds with the same parameters for my games, the 47. update randomized everything a lot, I feel, the results are not that consistent.

Sometimes you just need to generate till you get a one you like.

Yeah I don't have the patience to slog through all of legends mode in every single world. It's good to know I won't be fighting a losing battle, but like Quaksna said, this sorta thing isn't very consistent in vanilla and I'd like to do anything I can to maximize it.

For clarity, this would consist entirely of all-new races, with a whole bunch of little civs designed to maximize the odds of their citizens dispersing into the main civ. It's a total overhaul sorta mod, so I don't need to worry about vanilla civs getting in the way.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:44 pm »

Yeah I don't have the patience to slog through all of legends mode in every single world. It's good to know I won't be fighting a losing battle, but like Quaksna said, this sorta thing isn't very consistent in vanilla and I'd like to do anything I can to maximize it.

For clarity, this would consist entirely of all-new races, with a whole bunch of little civs designed to maximize the odds of their citizens dispersing into the main civ. It's a total overhaul sorta mod, so I don't need to worry about vanilla civs getting in the way.

DfHack + Legends Viewer makes searching for good world easier, but the problem still stands.

A big factor in this seems to be the updated necromancers, spreading of evil biomes and such. There's a lot more of them, and they seem to render sites unusable. Wars and conquering of sites also seem to mess things up. I had a small world where I could start as adventurer from one site only, a fort in a corner of the map (Even after I turned off the natural breaching of HFS).

The new update kinda makes the worlds post-apocalyptic (sometimes, it's random), my first game in 47.01 was in a barren world with scarce of normal races, some extinct, nearly all fortresses filled with clowns, experiments made up the populations of whole civilization... It's not bad, but different. I'll remember this update as a great milestone :D.

If you make a total conversion mod, that's cool, but I am afraid you can't avoid this race integration stuff. Unless you take away intelligent races that can join civilizations (animal men, gorlaks etc.) and replace them as well, somehow limit them...

When considering civilizations, you must inevitably take into considerations sites. And sites, again, are hardcoded, it's very difficult to get around lot of this stuff. You have to be creative. Good luck!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: August 17, 2020, 02:07:49 pm »

Its not exactly a piece of modding advice but broadly there exists a certain faculty in adventure mode for you to start with companions, and by bringing enough with you and retiring them all at the place deemed to be a future fortress site you can pretty much draft in waves of your own selected group or recruit historical figures to build a foundation and populate your future site. It certainly sounds like a nice way to pernamently retire a adventurer you've built much fame and loot with by bestowing them some sort of `right` of lordship over the fortress with a baron nomination.

You'd have to ask a expert like @rumrusher over the specifics though on the adventuring half of the forums. Modding wise what you do regarding adventurer point costing, races, or QOL would be up to you.

If you're attempting to settle a foriegn island or continent far away from your home, it might be wise to mod in some flying mounts to help you cross over oceans by yourself before getting to the nitty gritty of running a few errands and building a small menagerie to accompany your embark dwarves & adventurer. (also any convenient adventurer reactions to make your life easier)

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: August 26, 2020, 01:07:17 pm »

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here? This stuff is supposed to be the temp of liquid nitrogen, but it keeps setting things on fire in the arena.

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:GAS:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:GAS:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:dragonice crystals]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:dragonice crystal]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:dragonice]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:dragonice]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:dragonice vapor]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:dragonice vapor]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:BLUE]
[MELTING_POINT:9622]
[BOILING_POINT:9647]
[PREFIX:NONE]

Matrim_Cauthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: August 26, 2020, 02:51:49 pm »

Stupid question time...

Where exactly are the reactions for smelting Iron from ore kept?

edit: Whoops wrong question thread.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure it's hard coded and controlled by the Metal_Ore tag
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:33:53 pm by Matrim_Cauthon »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4784 on: August 29, 2020, 09:03:25 am »

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here? This stuff is supposed to be the temp of liquid nitrogen, but it keeps setting things on fire in the arena.
Here's OldGenesis & Masterwork icebreath:

==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 372