Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 683988 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1665 on: March 26, 2016, 11:09:44 pm »

Define burning, please. Are they actually catching fire, or are they just melting? Fire immunity only prevents them from catching fire.

Give the fire immune castes different body materials than the other castes. The fire castes should be given materials with no ignite, boiling, heat-damage, or melting point. Except liquid materials such as blood; you generally want blood to be liquid, not solid, so they should have a melting point.
Just a quick point on that, solid "blood" does actually work, though the in-game descriptions will mention it "oozing" or "running" from wounds yet it forms a "dusting" or "pile" on the ground.  This only really matters if you're using the built-in MUD material as blood, because MUD is only defined in the solid state.  Custom materials really ought to be liquids.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1666 on: March 27, 2016, 05:00:47 am »

Define burning, please. Are they actually catching fire, or are they just melting? Fire immunity only prevents them from catching fire.

Give the fire immune castes different body materials than the other castes. The fire castes should be given materials with no ignite, boiling, heat-damage, or melting point. Except liquid materials such as blood; you generally want blood to be liquid, not solid, so they should have a melting point.
I mean that after 1 tick of being in the arena it says they're blistering and melting, the grass around them catches fire as well, though they can still move around without having to do alt plus a numpad key.

Also, even if I have want to have all castes with the materials modified to be fireproof, it still happens.

Meaning, even if I add this, same as the regular dragons
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They still burn the grass around them and start melting. I'm not sure if I place those tokens in the wrong spot, since I know different positions for tokens can be the cause of errors.

EDIT: Ok nvm, it seems I caught the problem. Moved the tokens around and now it seems to work - I'm still having issues with the creature where I only want specific castes to have immunity to fire damage - do I have to define completely different body materials or will simply putting the modifiers below a SELECT_CASTE:X and SELECT_CASTE:Y work?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:09:18 am by ZM5 »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 27, 2016, 10:37:54 am »

I mean that after 1 tick of being in the arena it says they're blistering and melting, the grass around them catches fire as well, though they can still move around without having to do alt plus a numpad key.

Also, even if I have want to have all castes with the materials modified to be fireproof, it still happens.

Meaning, even if I add this, same as the regular dragons
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They still burn the grass around them and start melting. I'm not sure if I place those tokens in the wrong spot, since I know different positions for tokens can be the cause of errors.

EDIT: Ok nvm, it seems I caught the problem. Moved the tokens around and now it seems to work - I'm still having issues with the creature where I only want specific castes to have immunity to fire damage - do I have to define completely different body materials or will simply putting the modifiers below a SELECT_CASTE:X and SELECT_CASTE:Y work?
Materials and tissues are at the creature level.  If you only want some castes to be fire-proof, you'll need two versions of each.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 27, 2016, 10:55:42 am »

Two questions-

One- How would I make an animal 'milkable' for a non-milk substance?
Two- How would I make said substance; my desired substance being a liquid that can be drunk, dried into a patty or brewed into alcohol?

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer help. I had a quick look around but I'm not entirely sure how to link 'how to this' together.

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 27, 2016, 11:39:56 am »

you can use any material for milking, just define it on the creature. basically copy the milk stuff from another creature and then add some tokens to the material/use a different template.

for the second part you need to have a reaction that takes a liquid and produces a drink, and the substance needs a reaction class token that the reaction then looks for. same goes for drying.

people in fortress mode will never drink susbtances other than booze or water voluntarily. all you can do is to make your substance a food (same as milk) or an alcohol.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1670 on: March 27, 2016, 06:13:45 pm »

Is it possible to actually have a creature with hands that count as both a GRASP and a STANCE part without them being able to put shoes on their hands, and being able to use the upper and lower arms to wrestle without laying on the ground?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 27, 2016, 09:24:40 pm »

Unfortunately, not that I am aware of.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 29, 2016, 09:16:08 am »

is there anything that would work for my pokemon mod that would allow you to take pokemon with you, keeping in mind that it shouldn't be able to just instantly make a hard un-allied pokemon into a pokeball for you
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 29, 2016, 05:03:11 pm »

Ok, so this is a big question.

What does a creature need, in terms of tokens, that makes the game not crash?
Cancels Get a Life: Interrupted by the Internet

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 29, 2016, 05:15:18 pm »

is there anything that would work for my pokemon mod that would allow you to take pokemon with you, keeping in mind that it shouldn't be able to just instantly make a hard un-allied pokemon into a pokeball for you

Without DFHack, I can't think of a way. If it is possible, it would probably involve even more hoops than the old way of creature creation from a reaction.

Ok, so this is a big question.

What does a creature need, in terms of tokens, that makes the game not crash?

I have nothing concrete; just crashes I have experienced relating to lacking creature tokens.

I've had creatures crash on examination because they had no description. Not having a body may cause crashes as well, but I'm not 100% certain. A name might be required, but a caste name isn't. Though without a caste name, every creature will be referred to as a Nothing.

Oddly enough, no crashes related to creatures having a body but no materials. A bunch of ghosts running around, basically. Can't hurt anyone, and can't be hurt by anyone.

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 29, 2016, 05:18:11 pm »

Well, here's the code for my creature:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:HIRRAD]
[DESCRPITION:An odd, four-eyed creature. Semi-intelligent.]
[NAME:hirrad:hirrads:hirraden]
[COLOR:2:0:1]
[CASTE_NAME:hirrad:hirrads:hirraden]
[CREATURE_TILE:232]
[BODY:HUMANOID:4EYES:2EARS:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGRANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:4TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS]
[INTELLIGENT]

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 29, 2016, 05:23:31 pm »

Looks fine for the most part, but there is one issue I can see.

[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS]
Is missing the arguments that other creatures have.

It should be something like this:
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]

These arguments are there to define which tissues are used, and in which order. The body detail plan file defines things such as how many arguments there may be, and where each argument is placed in the body.

Addemup

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McJudgemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 29, 2016, 05:52:12 pm »

Now, I believe that it has something to do with the raw editor I'm using.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:13:51 pm by Addemup »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1678 on: March 30, 2016, 06:03:48 pm »

So, I'm aware that the SEMI/MEGABEAST tokens apply to all the castes of the creature - but what about LAIR_HUNTER and such? Do they only apply to a specific caste or the entire creature, regardless of caste?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:41 pm »

Wiki says they are caste-specific, not creature-wide.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 372